1169 users online (180 members and 989 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 41
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,806

    Tom Cruise - Celebrity/High Profile Member

    I was introduced to Tom Cruise and $cientology when the unauthorized biography of Cruise by Andrew Morton came out. I was like, "Wow! Can this stuff actually be true?" So I started googling and found the book "Madman or Messiah" about L. Ron Hubbard available for free online. I also found a journalist named Tony Ortega at the Village Voice online, writing about all things $cientologist.

    Yes, at first it is like, "Can this stuff really be happening in this day and age?" Sadly, the answer is that yes it can and indeed it is!

    Thanks for opening these threads.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    66
    If this cult allegedly generates all this money, and over half is used to defend itself legally,

    http://fortune.com/2015/04/08/scientology-tax-exempt/

    As for revenue, Augustine estimates that the church collects annual receipts of about $200 million, which he bases on conversations with former Scientology officials who have since left the organization. (Augustine is married to Karen de la Carriere, a former member of the church). He says about $125 million comes from the sale of auditing services to its followers, while the remainder comes from donations. How much of that revenue would actually be subject to income tax is difficult to say, however. Augustine estimates that much of the money that comes in is spent on legal defense of the church.

    Where/What is their power to intimidate institutions ie. the media:

    https://en.wikinews.org/wiki/ABC_New...d_Scientology=

    ABC News yanks 20/20 investigation of Tom Cruise and Scientology
    Monday, September 10, 2012
    An investigation into Scientology and Tom Cruise which was set to air this past Friday on the American television program 20/20 was removed from broadcast by ABC News. This is not the first time that ABC News has pulled an investigation into Scientology from airing on 20/20.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    9,076
    Cruise is listed here as no. 4 in the top 25 people crippling Scientology. Of curse no. 1 is L Ron Hubbard, suffice it to say, Scientology has been crippled since Hubbard invented his cult of lies and greed.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    4,281
    Quote Originally Posted by nanwv View Post
    If this cult allegedly generates all this money, and over half is used to defend itself legally,

    http://fortune.com/2015/04/08/scientology-tax-exempt/

    As for revenue, Augustine estimates that the church collects annual receipts of about $200 million, which he bases on conversations with former Scientology officials who have since left the organization. (Augustine is married to Karen de la Carriere, a former member of the church). He says about $125 million comes from the sale of auditing services to its followers, while the remainder comes from donations. How much of that revenue would actually be subject to income tax is difficult to say, however. Augustine estimates that much of the money that comes in is spent on legal defense of the church.

    Where/What is their power to intimidate institutions ie. the media:

    https://en.wikinews.org/wiki/ABC_New...d_Scientology=

    ABC News yanks 20/20 investigation of Tom Cruise and Scientology
    Monday, September 10, 2012
    An investigation into Scientology and Tom Cruise which was set to air this past Friday on the American television program 20/20 was removed from broadcast by ABC News.
    This is not the first time that ABC News has pulled an investigation into Scientology from airing on 20/20.
    The last 20/20 when Dan Harris interviewed Leah, he had NO problem asking her if she was making money from her series/documentary. BUT when he interviewed Monique Yingling, Dan certainly didn't ask her how much Ca$h she has received and I$ $TILL receiving from David Mi$cavige, for being hi$ personal Attorney...tsk tsk

    Are all journalists afraid of this cult?
    Justice for Teresa Sievers (1968 - 2015)

    RIP Sweet Erin Corwin (1994-2014) Forever young


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
    ~ Anatole France

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    9,076
    I was just remembering the Amy Bradley case, and how the Scienologist Sea Org people approached the Bradleys on the ship, were confrontational, strange and treated her family so badly. It was speculated for a while that Amy's disappearance was connected to Scientology. She reportedly was seen talking to some of them on the ship, they were in their uniform. I've always wondered why Sea Org members were even there, I mean, they have their own ship.
    But then the Scientologists used their usual intimidation tactics, there was legal action and threats, IIRC, and the Bradleys let it go. I think they did so because they were threatened and afraid of the big bullies.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,111
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmacky View Post
    The last 20/20 when Dan Harris interviewed Leah, he had NO problem asking her if she was making money from her series/documentary. BUT when he interviewed Monique Yingling, Dan certainly didn't ask her how much Ca$h she has received and I$ $TILL receiving from David Mi$cavige, for being hi$ personal Attorney...tsk tsk

    Are all journalists afraid of this cult?
    I'm not a journalist and am only speculating. I don't know that "afraid" is the right word. The Co$ is a regular focus of the tabloids.

    But I suspect that mainstream outlets often decide there aren't enough people involved to justify the legal hassle. Perhaps Remini's series and its success will change some minds, but the people interviewed stayed in the Co$ of their own volition and were able to escape when they chose. In itself, that isn't much of a story.

    Don't get me wrong: I've been riveted and have seen most episodes twice. But the apostates of most religions will have harsh things to say about the group to which they used to belong. This isn't to say I think Remini, Rinder & Co. are lying; rather, I'm saying they aren't as unusual as they may seem to those of us who participate more casually in a religious sect.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,459
    The title of the thread may be confusing me. Is this thread solely for Tom Cruise?


    If not, I wanted to mention back in the 1980s when Elvis Presley was slinging mud at CoS. He claimed all they wanted was his money. When he died, iirc, Lisa Marie Presely inherited around 32 million dollars from his estate when she reached a certain age. Lisa Marie Presley recently said of CoS that they are a "sinister snitching culture".

    http://radaronline.com/exclusives/20...ert-weighs-in/

    The famous race car driver Mario Andretti had the word "Dianetics" removed from his racing car in 1998.

    Phil Donahue tried exposing them on his show in 1995 through investigative journalism.

    CoS has faced conflict since its inception. This post, including LR's coming out, demonstrates decades of complaints against the religion.

    If this thread is only about TC, then all I have to add is that a man who would give up his children for a religion is not a good father for he abandoned what should be an important source of his pride and joy.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    10,316
    Quote Originally Posted by DeDee View Post
    The title of the thread may be confusing me. Is this thread solely for Tom Cruise?


    If not, I wanted to mention back in the 1980s when Elvis Presley was slinging mud at CoS. He claimed all they wanted was his money. When he died, iirc, Lisa Marie Presely inherited around 32 million dollars from his estate when she reached a certain age. Lisa Marie Presley recently said of CoS that they are a "sinister snitching culture".

    http://radaronline.com/exclusives/20...ert-weighs-in/

    The famous race car driver Mario Andretti had the word "Dianetics" removed from his racing car in 1998.

    Phil Donahue tried exposing them on his show in 1995 through investigative journalism.

    CoS has faced conflict since its inception. This post, including LR's coming out, demonstrates decades of complaints against the religion.

    If this thread is only about TC, then all I have to add is that a man who would give up his children for a religion is not a good father for he abandoned what should be an important source of his pride and joy.
    Hello Dedee,

    There are other threads in this same area which are mainly about Leah Remini's new cable documentary on church of scientology and it looks ok what you wrote in this particular subthread for it since you did include Tom Cruise in some of your discussion at the bottom of your post. I suppose the mods could move it if they see a better subthread one that fits better.

    There are other threads and what I like to do to navigate in any thread is if you go towards the top under where it says "Forums Blogs Chats", there is a link bar path in a small area where if you click on the part of the link bar that says ""Forum^Trending Discussions^Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath", and put your cursor on the part that says "Leah Remini Scientology and the Aftermath", then it will show all the subthreads like "S1 EP6" which is series 1 Episode 6 of that show. I like to use that method on any thread to go back one link to get to the subthreads of a link topic

    A lot of us have been watching that cable show on A+E. Its been really good and Leah has been interviewing lots of past members to expose the tactics that Co$ does to members and ex-members that begin to speak out against them and expose their mean tactics that they do to them like intimidation and spying on people.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leah_R..._the_Aftermath
    Last edited by Hatfield; 01-18-2017 at 08:35 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,111
    If the thread wandered, I'm sure the fault was mine. I tend to respond to something in a post (in this case, "Are the media afraid of the Co$?") without thinking about the original topic.

    To me, that's how a conversation progresses, more like a river than a pond. But if mods want to to move or delete my posts, I won't complain about it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    4,281
    This is a fairly lengthy article, but well worth the read.

    1. What Katie Didnít Know
    2. The Surprise Divorce

    Katieís best man, it turned out, was her father, who had negotiated a prenuptial agreement for his youngest daughter that reportedly filled five bankersí boxes. Because of it, when Katie Holmes made her bombshell announcement late last June that she was divorcing Tom Cruise, the case was able to be resolved in a mere 11 days.

    http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/...ce-scientology
    Justice for Teresa Sievers (1968 - 2015)

    RIP Sweet Erin Corwin (1994-2014) Forever young


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
    ~ Anatole France


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    4,281
    As always, with everyone Leah has talked to that has "escaped" Scamatology, even KH was followed after she snuck away.

    Having filed for divorce in New York while her husband was in Iceland filming Oblivion, Katie Holmes set off her own media H-bomb when friends leaked to gossip site TMZ that she feared Scientology was following her. As was helpfully confirmed by TMZ photographers, who were in fact following her at the time, she was in fact being trailed by men in SUVs, though their employer remains unconfirmed. (A Scientology spokesman denies involvement.)

    Reports that Holmes had removed Suri from her Scientology preschool in L.A. and enrolled her in a Catholic school in New York must be particularly galling to church elders.

    http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...eriencing.html
    Justice for Teresa Sievers (1968 - 2015)

    RIP Sweet Erin Corwin (1994-2014) Forever young


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
    ~ Anatole France

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    9,076
    Quote Originally Posted by DeDee View Post
    The title of the thread may be confusing me. Is this thread solely for Tom Cruise?


    If not, I wanted to mention back in the 1980s when Elvis Presley was slinging mud at CoS. He claimed all they wanted was his money. When he died, iirc, Lisa Marie Presely inherited around 32 million dollars from his estate when she reached a certain age. Lisa Marie Presley recently said of CoS that they are a "sinister snitching culture".

    http://radaronline.com/exclusives/20...ert-weighs-in/

    The famous race car driver Mario Andretti had the word "Dianetics" removed from his racing car in 1998.

    Phil Donahue tried exposing them on his show in 1995 through investigative journalism.

    CoS has faced conflict since its inception. This post, including LR's coming out, demonstrates decades of complaints against the religion.

    If this thread is only about TC, then all I have to add is that a man who would give up his children for a religion is not a good father for he abandoned what should be an important source of his pride and joy.
    He said "**** those people, all they want is my money", Go, Elvis! Never thought I'd find yet one more reason to love The King. Personally I think TC is in because it fills some sort of need, he and the rest of them need to find a backbone and quit giving up their power to an abusive, controlling, money mongering cult. JMO

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    9,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmacky View Post
    As always, with everyone Leah has talked to that has "escaped" Scamatology, even KH was followed after she snuck away.

    Having filed for divorce in New York while her husband was in Iceland filming Oblivion, Katie Holmes set off her own media H-bomb when friends leaked to gossip site TMZ that she feared Scientology was following her. As was helpfully confirmed by TMZ photographers, who were in fact following her at the time, she was in fact being trailed by men in SUVs, though their employer remains unconfirmed. (A Scientology spokesman denies involvement.)

    Reports that Holmes had removed Suri from her Scientology preschool in L.A. and enrolled her in a Catholic school in New York must be particularly galling to church elders.

    http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...eriencing.html
    Scamatology, I like that, LOL. BTW, how do you do that line through a word thing? TIA.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    4,281
    Quote Originally Posted by neesaki View Post
    Scamatology, I like that, LOL. BTW, how do you do that line through a word thing? TIA.
    Hi Neeski
    I was honestly afraid that a mod might snip it, so I drew a line through it.
    You do it with an s in brackets. I think/guess the s stands for strike?
    example
    [s]**word here**[/ s] of course close bracket closer. Good to see you here my friend!
    Justice for Teresa Sievers (1968 - 2015)

    RIP Sweet Erin Corwin (1994-2014) Forever young


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
    ~ Anatole France

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,111
    Quote Originally Posted by neesaki View Post
    He said "**** those people, all they want is my money", Go, Elvis! Never thought I'd find yet one more reason to love The King. Personally I think TC is in because it fills some sort of need, he and the rest of them need to find a backbone and quit giving up their power to an abusive, controlling, money mongering cult. JMO
    I still don't know TC. Still guessing. But TC isn't just a star, he's a megastar. There aren't many who could claim membership in his "community". So I speculate that the Co$ meets that need.

    Maybe TC never wonders why everyone in his world kowtows to him. Maybe he thinks he deserves it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. High profile atty Mark Nejame
    By ketel0ne in forum Caylee Anthony 2 years old
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 09-12-2008, 06:59 PM

Tags for this Thread