739 users online (81 members and 658 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Tom Cruise - Celebrity/High Profile Member

I was introduced to Tom Cruise and $cientology when the unauthorized biography of Cruise by Andrew Morton came out. I was like, "Wow! Can this stuff actually be true?" So I started googling and found the book "Madman or Messiah" about L. Ron Hubbard available for free online. I also found a journalist named Tony Ortega at the Village Voice online, writing about all things $cientologist.

Yes, at first it is like, "Can this stuff really be happening in this day and age?" Sadly, the answer is that yes it can and indeed it is!

Thanks for opening these threads.

If this cult allegedly generates all this money, and over half is used to defend itself legally,

http://fortune.com/2015/04/08/scientology-tax-exempt/

As for revenue, Augustine estimates that the church collects annual receipts of about $200 million, which he bases on conversations with former Scientology officials who have since left the organization. (Augustine is married to Karen de la Carriere, a former member of the church). He says about $125 million comes from the sale of auditing services to its followers, while the remainder comes from donations. How much of that revenue would actually be subject to income tax is difficult to say, however. Augustine estimates that much of the money that comes in is spent on legal defense of the church.

Where/What is their power to intimidate institutions ie. the media:

https://en.wikinews.org/wiki/ABC_New...d_Scientology=

ABC News yanks 20/20 investigation of Tom Cruise and Scientology
    Monday, September 10, 2012
    An investigation into Scientology and Tom Cruise which was set to air this past Friday on the American television program 20/20 was removed from broadcast by ABC News. This is not the first time that ABC News has pulled an investigation into Scientology from airing on 20/20.

Quote Originally Posted by nanwv View Post
    If this cult allegedly generates all this money, and over half is used to defend itself legally,

http://fortune.com/2015/04/08/scientology-tax-exempt/

As for revenue, Augustine estimates that the church collects annual receipts of about $200 million, which he bases on conversations with former Scientology officials who have since left the organization. (Augustine is married to Karen de la Carriere, a former member of the church). He says about $125 million comes from the sale of auditing services to its followers, while the remainder comes from donations. How much of that revenue would actually be subject to income tax is difficult to say, however. Augustine estimates that much of the money that comes in is spent on legal defense of the church.

Where/What is their power to intimidate institutions ie. the media:

https://en.wikinews.org/wiki/ABC_New...d_Scientology=

ABC News yanks 20/20 investigation of Tom Cruise and Scientology
    Monday, September 10, 2012
    An investigation into Scientology and Tom Cruise which was set to air this past Friday on the American television program 20/20 was removed from broadcast by ABC News.
    This is not the first time that ABC News has pulled an investigation into Scientology from airing on 20/20.
    The last 20/20 when Dan Harris interviewed Leah, he had NO problem asking her if she was making money from her series/documentary. BUT when he interviewed Monique Yingling, Dan certainly didn't ask her how much Ca$h she has received and I$ $TILL receiving from David Mi$cavige, for being hi$ personal Attorney...tsk tsk

Are all journalists afraid of this cult?
    Justice for Teresa Sievers (1968 - 2015)

RIP Sweet Erin Corwin (1994-2014) Forever young

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
    ~ Anatole France

Quote Originally Posted by Dmacky View Post
    The last 20/20 when Dan Harris interviewed Leah, he had NO problem asking her if she was making money from her series/documentary. BUT when he interviewed Monique Yingling, Dan certainly didn't ask her how much Ca$h she has received and I$ $TILL receiving from David Mi$cavige, for being hi$ personal Attorney...tsk tsk

Are all journalists afraid of this cult?
    I'm not a journalist and am only speculating. I don't know that "afraid" is the right word. The Co$ is a regular focus of the tabloids.

But I suspect that mainstream outlets often decide there aren't enough people involved to justify the legal hassle. Perhaps Remini's series and its success will change some minds, but the people interviewed stayed in the Co$ of their own volition and were able to escape when they chose. In itself, that isn't much of a story.

Don't get me wrong: I've been riveted and have seen most episodes twice. But the apostates of most religions will have harsh things to say about the group to which they used to belong. This isn't to say I think Remini, Rinder & Co. are lying; rather, I'm saying they aren't as unusual as they may seem to those of us who participate more casually in a religious sect.

Cruise is listed here as no. 4 in the top 25 people crippling Scientology. Of curse no. 1 is L Ron Hubbard, suffice it to say, Scientology has been crippled since Hubbard invented his cult of lies and greed.

I was just remembering the Amy Bradley case, and how the Scienologist Sea Org people approached the Bradleys on the ship, were confrontational, strange and treated her family so badly. It was speculated for a while that Amy's disappearance was connected to Scientology. She reportedly was seen talking to some of them on the ship, they were in their uniform. I've always wondered why Sea Org members were even there, I mean, they have their own ship.
    But then the Scientologists used their usual intimidation tactics, there was legal action and threats, IIRC, and the Bradleys let it go. I think they did so because they were threatened and afraid of the big bullies.

The title of the thread may be confusing me. Is this thread solely for Tom Cruise?

If not, I wanted to mention back in the 1980s when Elvis Presley was slinging mud at CoS. He claimed all they wanted was his money. When he died, iirc, Lisa Marie Presely inherited around 32 million dollars from his estate when she reached a certain age. Lisa Marie Presley recently said of CoS that they are a "sinister snitching culture".

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/20...ert-weighs-in/

The famous race car driver Mario Andretti had the word "Dianetics" removed from his racing car in 1998.

Phil Donahue tried exposing them on his show in 1995 through investigative journalism.

CoS has faced conflict since its inception. This post, including LR's coming out, demonstrates decades of complaints against the religion.

If this thread is only about TC, then all I have to add is that a man who would give up his children for a religion is not a good father for he abandoned what should be an important source of his pride and joy.

Quote Originally Posted by DeDee View Post
    The title of the thread may be confusing me. Is this thread solely for Tom Cruise?

If not, I wanted to mention back in the 1980s when Elvis Presley was slinging mud at CoS. He claimed all they wanted was his money. When he died, iirc, Lisa Marie Presely inherited around 32 million dollars from his estate when she reached a certain age. Lisa Marie Presley recently said of CoS that they are a "sinister snitching culture".

The famous race car driver Mario Andretti had the word "Dianetics" removed from his racing car in 1998.

Phil Donahue tried exposing them on his show in 1995 through investigative journalism.

CoS has faced conflict since its inception. This post, including LR's coming out, demonstrates decades of complaints against the religion.

If this thread is only about TC, then all I have to add is that a man who would give up his children for a religion is not a good father for he abandoned what should be an important source of his pride and joy.
    Hello Dedee,

There are other threads in this same area which are mainly about Leah Remini's new cable documentary on church of scientology and it looks ok what you wrote in this particular subthread for it since you did include Tom Cruise in some of your discussion at the bottom of your post. I suppose the mods could move it if they see a better subthread one that fits better.

There are other threads and what I like to do to navigate in any thread is if you go towards the top under where it says "Forums Blogs Chats", there is a link bar path in a small area where if you click on the part of the link bar that says ""Forum^Trending Discussions^Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath", and put your cursor on the part that says "Leah Remini Scientology and the Aftermath", then it will show all the subthreads like "S1 EP6" which is series 1 Episode 6 of that show. I like to use that method on any thread to go back one link to get to the subthreads of a link topic

A lot of us have been watching that cable show on A+E. Its been really good and Leah has been interviewing lots of past members to expose the tactics that Co$ does to members and ex-members that begin to speak out against them and expose their mean tactics that they do to them like intimidation and spying on people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leah_R..._the_Aftermath
    Last edited by Hatfield; 01-18-2017 at 08:35 AM.

He said "**** those people, all they want is my money", Go, Elvis! Never thought I'd find yet one more reason to love The King. Personally I think TC is in because it fills some sort of need, he and the rest of them need to find a backbone and quit giving up their power to an abusive, controlling, money mongering cult. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by neesaki View Post
    He said "**** those people, all they want is my money", Go, Elvis! Never thought I'd find yet one more reason to love The King. Personally I think TC is in because it fills some sort of need, he and the rest of them need to find a backbone and quit giving up their power to an abusive, controlling, money mongering cult. JMO
    I still don't know TC. Still guessing. But TC isn't just a star, he's a megastar. There aren't many who could claim membership in his "community". So I speculate that the Co$ meets that need.

Maybe TC never wonders why everyone in his world kowtows to him. Maybe he thinks he deserves it.

And now Lisa Marie may turn out to be one of their worst nightmares.....story developing. TC is in b/c of the ego boost. But make no mistake, he knows the score. He couldn't miss the fact that children who were supposed to be in school were at his house instead, cleaning his toilets. And he certainly has read policy on disconnection and murdering homosexuals. He CHOOSES.

I don't know what your sources are but I believe Elvis Presley died in 1977 and I know Mario Andretti retired from racing in September, 1994 at the end of the racing season.

But if Mario had Dianetics anywhere on his car (his primary sponsorship in the 90's was KMART and several products that were available at KMART were associate sponsors on the car), that would mean that Dianetics paid money to Paul Newman and Carl Haas (co-owners of the Newman-Haas Racing team) to have CoS on the car, rather than Mario seeking-out CoS for sponsorship.
    @JodiAnnArias: They took my case and they took my cash, now I'm in Perryville with a terrible rash. #JodiArias

Quote Originally Posted by Wing Ding View Post
    I don't know what your sources are but I believe Elvis Presley died in 1977 and I know Mario Andretti retired from racing in September, 1994 at the end of the racing season.

But if Mario had Dianetics anywhere on his car (his primary sponsorship in the 90's was KMART and several products that were available at KMART were associate sponsors on the car), that would mean that Dianetics paid money to Paul Newman and Carl Haas (co-owners of the Newman-Haas Racing team) to have CoS on the car, rather than Mario seeking-out CoS for sponsorship.
    Found a little information about this, it was the late 80's when CoS started promoting Dianetics in the racing industry. Andretti refused and made them take the logo off his race car because he was a good Catholic boy.

Here's an interesting article, though there's no mention of Cruise in it. Sorry if it's considered OT, but this caught my interest.

SCIENTOLOGY’S bizarre attempts to sponsor professional motorsport involved John Travolta, million dollar offers and the Pope.
    http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...d058002fa6ccf5

Found a little information about this, it was the late 80's when CoS started promoting Dianetics in the racing industry. Andretti refused and made them take the logo off his race car because he was a good Catholic boy.

Here's an interesting article, though there's no mention of Cruise in it. Sorry if it's considered OT, but this caught my interest.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...d058002fa6ccf5
    Hey, thanks for the additional info and for the the link which shows just how far Church of Scientology crossed the line with their involvement in motorsports sponsorship.

Sponsors do pay a lot of money to advertise their company or product on the side of a race car so they can (and do) place certain demands on teams and drivers for a return on their investment (above and beyond the calculated tv time that millions of eyeballs will see their name on the side of a car during a televised race that is tracked by marketing companies such as Joyce Julius & Associates).

It's also not unusual to see sponsors hand out samples of their product to fans who attend the races (everything from cigarettes to energy drinks to stickers to cleaning products to keep your car looking shiney and new). In fact it's expected of them (although tobacco products have been banned from sponsoring motorsports for about 15 years now), but the Church of Scientology seemed to cross way over the line with their direct involvement in offering auditing and counseling services to team personnel. It's one thing for them to set up a booth and the track and hand out their literature to someone walking by who would likely throw it away into the first trash can they see, but to actually want to go as far as to hook someone up to their machines and try to exorcise their racing demons is beyond ludicrous. Although I can understand if Roberto Guerrero were to have won the Indy 500 because of the auditing CoS did, that would be a major selling point for them that would probably still be used to this day. And CoS would probably still be printing full-size Indy 500 Winner posters with Roberto Guerrero in his Dianetics firesuit in the winners circle with the flower wreath, the bottle of milk and the three foot check. Ugh!

At first I thought Roberto Guerrero was the guy who had served 2-1/2 years for a drug conviction (sentenced to five years) in the 80's, but that was another Indy Car driver. I could totally see CoS wanting to be responsible for turning around the life of a convicted drug peddler, but that wasn't Guerrero. Maybe CoS should have gone after the other guy. lol
    Last edited by Wing Ding; 04-26-2017 at 05:42 PM.
    @JodiAnnArias: They took my case and they took my cash, now I'm in Perryville with a terrible rash. #JodiArias

Quote Originally Posted by Wing Ding View Post

My apologies for any confusion the post may have caused due to using the "1980s".

ELVIS BLASTS SCIENTOLOGY: 'That s.o.b. group - all they want is my money'

The Scientologists once tried to recruit Elvis, Fike says. He recalls that Elvis fumed: "The hell with those people. There's no way I'll ever get involved with that s.o.b. group. All they want is my money."

Lisa Marie paid $1.5 million for the house at 1100 North Osceola Ave. [Clearwater] because she desperately wanted to live close to the church. It was in that house that she collapsed in pain and was eventually taken to nearby Morton Plant Hospital, not long after undergoing the Scientology "cleansing" ritual.

http://lermanet.com/cos/lisamarie.html
    Andretti orders `Dianetics' logo taken off his car
    St. Petersburg Times - St. Petersburg, Fla.
    Author: Tobin, Thomas C Wilson, Jon
    Date: Nov 27, 1988

A logo for the best-selling book, Dianetics, was taken off Andretti's high-performance Porsche on Friday night. But the veteran driver said Saturday he ``had nothing to do with (the Dianetics sponsorship) in the first place. It's not something I believe in, so I don't want to make it appear like I'm endorsing it.``

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/tampabay...en+off+his+car
    Scientology goes racing: When Indy 500 and Le Mans cars were sponsored by ‘Dianetics’

HOLLYWOOD’S FAVORITE NEW-AGE RELIGION TRIED, FAILED TO SPREAD ITS MESSAGE WITH SPEED

July 14, 2015

Which worked out nicely for Hubbard, who loved fast cars and motorcycles. Elements of the modern church leadership, perhaps emulating their founder, reportedly share the same passions. Noted Scientologist Tom Cruise played a stock-car racer in the 1990 film “Days of Thunder” and has a high-octane fleet of his own....

Most famously, the church slapped Dianetics decals all over the Vince Granatelli Racing Lola/Cosworth driven by Roberto Guerrero in the 1988 Indy 500. It crashed out in turn two, having failed to complete a single lap.

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/car-life...#ixzz4fVyG79ES

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast