Darlie on Unsolved Mysteries

amazing-sea-monkey

Reaction score
I was watching a very old episode of Unsolved Mysteries today and they did a story on Darlie. I was shocked when the program stated that an intruder had been in the area and had raped several women in Darlie's surrounding neighborhoods while using a tube sock to cover their mouths. Darin said that he believed Darlie's mouth had been covered with the sock found outside and that she had passed out, and when she came to is when she said "I woke up..." I have always believed her guilty but this is the first I have heard of this. Does anyone know more about this? Darin stated that the intruder may have killed the boys because they had witnessed the rape, but again, why leave an adult woman alive and kill two children. Doesn't add up. Again, I have ALWAYS believed her to be guilty, but the show also stated and interviewed a juror that now believes her to be innocent. He said he would not have convicted had he seen the photos of the brusing. I am more intrigued about the rapist using tube socks... anyone hear that also?

amazing-sea-monkey said:
I was watching a very old episode of Unsolved Mysteries today and they did a story on Darlie. I was shocked when the program stated that an intruder had been in the area and had raped several women in Darlie's surrounding neighborhoods while using a tube sock to cover their mouths. Darin said that he believed Darlie's mouth had been covered with the sock found outside and that she had passed out, and when she came to is when she said "I woke up..." I have always believed her guilty but this is the first I have heard of this. Does anyone know more about this? Darin stated that the intruder may have killed the boys because they had witnessed the rape, but again, why leave an adult woman alive and kill two children. Doesn't add up. Again, I have ALWAYS believed her to be guilty, but the show also stated and interviewed a juror that now believes her to be innocent. He said he would not have convicted had he seen the photos of the brusing. I am more intrigued about the rapist using tube socks... anyone hear that also?
Yep, I saw it, and as a believer in the distinct probability of innocence, I say BINGO

amazing-sea-monkey said:

From memory reports of a serial rapist using a tube sock in the area were either exagerrated or not quite right. I can't remember but know that someone else (Goody, DP, Mary?) will be able to clear it up.

Dani_T said:
From memory reports of a serial rapist using a tube sock in the area were either exagerrated or not quite right. I can't remember but know that someone else (Goody, DP, Mary?) will be able to clear it up.

This was true. Much was talk about this on a prior board which I guess is gone now. Many years ago. He was working in the area of Dallas area where Darlie live during the time and before and after. He was caught and was in jail at time of Darlie trial. He enter home and use something from house as his weapoon. knife, even fork, sometimes scissors. Whatever he find. But he not kill. He just rape. But two times he grab the little child of the woman and say he will kill them if she don let him. I remember that on half of the times he left no trace. he use the sock on his hands like the glove and he use the condom. and he not leave any hair or things. But sometimes he not use the condom and that how they catch him. I am not sure about this part because of memory but ther was a pregnant woman near the end that he try to kill I think and maybe he stab her in the area of the womb? Do any one know if this is true or not? He try to kill her but she don die.

From the Writ of Habeus Corpus:

Alan Brantley gave the jury the misimpression that he had investigated whether there had been similar crimes in the area. See C.R.R. Vol. 40, pp. 53:24-54:5. In fact, a spree of crimes that started in December 1995 and ended around the time of the attack at the Routiers’ residence was not disclosed to the jury. The assailant’s modus operandi included using implements from the homes of his victim as weapons and using tube socks – like the one found three houses down from the Routier’s home (C.R.R. Vol. 32, p. 71:3-6) – to gag his victims. Brantley misleadingly suggested that criminal offenders never use objects found in victims’ homes as weapons. See C.R.R. Vol. 40, p. 84:5-9.

At the time that Brantley was testifying, however, police had records of other crimes that resembled the Routier murders. On December 8, 1995, an intruder entered a nearby residence, obtained a small kitchen knife, and held that knife against the throat of a victim in preparation for a sexual assault. Exh. B. On March 28, 1996, an unknown assailant threatened a child with a kitchen fork. Exh. A. In a series of other crimes, an unknown assailant used a single tube sock – similar to the sock found in the alley behind the Routier residence – to gag his victims and to conceal fingerprints. Exh. B (using a sock from the victims drawer as a gag) (December 8, 1995); Exh. C (same) (February 1, 1996); Exh. D (assailant used a tube sock to cover his hands) (April 7, 1996); Exh. E (using a sock from the victims drawer as a gag) (May 7, 1996). Had defense counsel been given this information, they would have been able to impeach Brantley with evidence that his investigation into similar crimes was inadequate, and that his conclusions were not based on inaccurate assumptions.

http://www.justicefordarlie.net/transcripts/writ.php

When they say "area," I'd like to know if they're talking about the City of Rowlett or Dallas. I don't think anything like that happened in Rowlett.

If the suspect was indeed in jail during Darlie's trail, I was hoping someone would supply a name that could be researched a bit.

Desilu said:
If the suspect was indeed in jail during Darlie's trail, I was hoping someone would supply a name that could be researched a bit.

I know Tommy Sells was talked about. He had a similar M.O.

The fact being, that there was no evidence of a second person ever at the crime scene. I find no relevance if another man was breaking into homes and harming women in or around this time. Because in Darlie's case, two boys were brutually murdered and their mother was not. if there was relevance to this "story", then the assiliant would use the boys as leverage as in a previous attack.

The only thing that does not lie is the evidence, and that is what convicted Darlie.

BUT! Darlie was not sexually asaulted! The boys were not threatened, they were murdered!

Jeana (DP) said:
I know Tommy Sells was talked about. He had a similar M.O.

No not him. I can sort of remember but not name. But it was in the newspaper and people put those articles up on the forum. Where he did his rapes was in the little suburbs in part of Dallas where Rowlett is. Not just Rowlett. All around. Did many. Maybe some search can be done but I don know how.

SnootyVixen said:
Where he did his rapes was in the little suburbs in part of Dallas where Rowlett is. Not just Rowlett. All around. Did many.
Therein lies the problem. Darlie wasn't raped, and children weren't slaughtered in these prior incidents.

SnootyVixen said:
No not him. I can sort of remember but not name. But it was in the newspaper and people put those articles up on the forum. Where he did his rapes was in the little suburbs in part of Dallas where Rowlett is. Not just Rowlett. All around. Did many. Maybe some search can be done but I don know how.

Well there are break ins all over the place. The defense, and rightly so, is trying to come up with anything they can in order to shift focus. Didn't work during the trial and won't now. There was NO evidence of an intruder in the Routier house. That pretty much makes the issue moot.

Jeana (DP) said:
When they say "area," I'd like to know if they're talking about the City of Rowlett or Dallas. I don't think anything like that happened in Rowlett.
Unsolved Mysteries specifically stated that it was in the Dallas area which covers a whole lot of territory as you know. I think the house in Rowlett was an isolated incident. At least, it was not proven to be part of a serial rapist's crimes. In fact, I have never been able to even find any news coverage on it at all. Apparently there are court or police records though, contained in the Exhibits mentioned that we don't have access to.

Anyone who wants to see the Unsolved Mysteries show can see it at justicefordarlie.com.

Desilu said:
Therein lies the problem. Darlie wasn't raped, and children weren't slaughtered in these prior incidents.
Darlie's rapist just had wet dreams once he saw those melons on her chest! :boohoo: All he could do was drool and stab. It is amazing HIS DNA wasn't found on the knife. You know, maybe it was.....LE just didn't test enough to find it. :banghead:

Goody said:
Darlie's rapist just had wet dreams once he saw those melons on her chest! :boohoo: All he could do was drool and stab. It is amazing HIS DNA wasn't found on the knife. You know, maybe it was.....LE just didn't test enough to find it. :banghead:
LE couldn't even find DEVON'S DNA on the knife, Goody. :doh:

accordn2me said:
LE couldn't even find DEVON'S DNA on the knife, Goody. :doh:
Well, if it was rinsed thoroughly, maybe there was no DNA to be found. Of course, under the knife handle might prove differently if it were tested, which it wasn't. If there is no new trial, it probably won't be.

On the unsolved mysteries video it says there was a serial rapist in Dallas at the time who used knives from the victims home and used a tube sock? Has anyone got anymore info on this or has it been discussed before? Thanks.

rachellee said:
On the unsolved mysteries video it says there was a serial rapist in Dallas at the time who used knives from the victims home and used a tube sock? Has anyone got anymore info on this or has it been discussed before? Thanks.
Hi Rachelle, I have not heard that before but Goody Or Bessy may know. You could ask them, chances are they will reply to the thread.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
legalpyro74
Back