UK UK - Billie-Jo Jenkins, 13, Hastings, Sussex, 15 Feb 1997

PrayersForMaura

Help Find Maura Murray
Reaction score
BILLIE-JO PAL TELLS OF 'ATTACK BY DAD

MURDERED schoolgirl Billie-Jo Jenkins was left with scratches after an alleged attacked by her foster father, her best pal said yesterday.​

Sion Jenkins, 48, allegedly pinned Billie-Jo against a wall and scratched her neck when she remonstrated with him for hitting her dog Buster.​

Holly Prior, 22, told the Old Bailey: "She had a scarf around her neck. We had just got off the school bus and she took me into the toilets."​

She said the scratches "were really red and sore, as if she had been bleeding", adding: "She told me to swear not to tell anybody."​

Billie-Jo, 13, was bludgeoned to death with a metal tent peg at the family home in Hastings, Sussex, in February 1997Earlier, Jenkins's ex-wife Lois told the court she had noticed scratch marks on Billie-Jo's neck but the schoolgirl claimed they'd been caused by her satchel.​

She added Jenkins, who denies murder, had a temper and would "flip and lose his self-control".​
The jury saw an interview with another friend, Laura Conway, who said Billie-Jo often complained of violence at the hands of her foster father.​

Laura, then 14, said: "She got punched in the nose by her dad.​
There was blood all over her shirt and around her mouth."​

Father of the Year
sad20.gif

This is the third time this man has gone on trial for the murder of his foster daughter. I swear in each new trial, it is like it is never the same.

For any people that are interested we have had another case here where a a parent/parents have been found responsible for the death of child (this was both for manslaughter and they were actually fostering the boy rather than biological parents) but have had their convictions quashed. It was an unusual case (alleged salt poisoning) but we are getting a reputation over here for wrongful convictions of parents in death of children cases. They face a retrial but, like Sion Jenkins, have been freed on bail after 15months in custody (they got 5 years). http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/le...ticle357432.ece
Sally Clark, Angela Cannings, Sion Jenkins and now the Gays..........

Briefly reviewed the the articles, but my question is:

How were the physical injuries like the head trama, chest wall injuries and underarm injuries explained.

I don't know, this does sound odd...........

Ooops, sorry about the link, I didnt realise that after a few days the Independent require registration/a fee to read articles in their entirity.

Yes, the injuries are what got them a retrial as opposed to a direct acquittal...the judgement says the jury 'could' have decided differently and although important, the new evidence formed only part of the whole picture, so not conclusive by a long way. It is a strange case and the couple themselves took on more than most people their age would in their desire to have a family. To go for one child when you are late 30's and used to independent living and a comfortable lifestyle is difficult enough but they took on 3 at one go....I had 3 children within 3 years and it was tough but they didnt all arrive on the same day and they were my biological children.

In this post I was rather making a general point about these cases as opposed to my opinions as to the merits of each of them, and the way it probably reflects badly on our criminal justice system here rather than demonstrates that the appeals process works.

Parent/Guardian & child cases are always going to be difficult as its very difficult to know precisely what goes on in a family home. We had a case fairly recently where a child (apparently) died at the hands of its guardians (a married couple & I think she was the child's aunt) at home but there were no witnesses aside from the couple themselves and there was no real evidence as to which one caused the injuries, if any. Neither would speak about the circumstances or give evidence. As they were married they were legally compentent as witnesses against eachother in criminal proceedings but not compellable if jointly charged with the same offence. If one were charged the other one could be compelled to give evidence but which one do you charge?

From February 2006:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/4661252.stm

Sion Jenkins has been formally acquitted of the murder of his foster daughter after the jury at the Old Bailey failed to reach a verdict. It was the third time Mr Jenkins, 48, had gone on trial for the murder of Billie-Jo in Hastings, East Sussex...

The jurors had spent 39 hours and 10 minutes deliberating but indicated they were not going to agree on a verdict. The prosecution said on Thursday it would not seek another retrial...

Mr Jenkins was originally convicted of the murder in 1998 and underwent two appeals. His conviction was quashed at the second appeal in 2004 and a retrial ordered.

Is there an update on this OG?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mother of murdered schoolgirl Billie-Jo Jenkins calls for police to reopen the case on the 20th anniversary of the 13-year-old's death

The mother of murdered schoolgirl Billie-Jo Jenkins has called for police to reopen the case 20 years after the 13-year-old was bludgeoned to death.

Billie-Jo was found in a pool of blood in the back garden of foster father Sion Jenkins' house in Hastings, East Sussex, on February 15, 1997.

Police arrested Mr Jenkins and he was initially found guilty of her murder and spent six years in prison before being acquitted in 2006 following two retrials.

Billie-Jo's family has previously called for police to investigate M25 rapist Antoni Imiela over her death.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4226722/Calls-police-reopen-Billie-Jo-Jenkins.html

SJ would defo be main suspect. However, it is an unbelievable coincidence that LB who offended almost only in London and Surrey was also active in Hastings. Combined with the fact that he is a hammer attack serial killer (a crime that is very, very rare). The police report stated he was a suspect in the 2004 attacks (very shortly before he was arrested). If we were to consider the BJ murder to be his first then he could have been going back to relive it before he knew he would be caught etc.

LB has been put in the frame for the Chillenden murders of Lin and Megan Russell in 1996. Apparently his gf at the time has given him an alibi and Sutton the lead officer believes it..his name is cropping up a lot. However he didn't attack Millie Dowler with a hammer.

I also think SJ is the most likely suspect.

Yes defo SJ most likely suspect. However, LB seems to be a suspect in so many offences where he can’t be ruled out. LB committed two types of offences: hammer attacks; and abduction/murders - usually with an accomplice.

I also think SJ is the most likely suspect.

That's an understatement.

It's nailed on that SJ murdered Billie-Jo. During the case, it came out that SJ was a violent, controlling father/husband who had a short fuse. Billie-Jo was painting the doors that morning as punishment, so there was friction between them. SJ takes his other daughter on an unplanned trip to the DIY store and drives around the neighbourhood twice before realising he's "forgot" his wallet. The trip takes around 15-20 mins, leaving a narrow window of opportunity for Billie-Jo's murder. When they return home, SJ makes the peculiar move of leaving Billie-Jo's body to sit in his car for emergency services to arrive. It's been suggested that SJ did this in case any traces of Billie-Jo's blood were found in the car. At the retrial, the prosecution tried to bring late evidence that showed SJ's clothes contained Billie-Jo's bone fragments but it was refused by the judge. In the interests of justice this evidence should've been admitted and may have secured SJ's conviction.

If that wasn't damning enough, SJ wrote that while the paramedics were tending to Billie-Jo, he spoke to a plain-clothes officer who consoled him. As there was no plain-clothes officer on duty, SJ believes this man was actually Billie-Jo's killer. That's right, Billie-Jo's killer didn't escape while the coast was clear. Instead, he waited in the house and then made himself known to the victim's father. That's the problem with a compulsive liar like Sion Jenkins - they don't know when to shut up.

It's appalling that Billie-Jo's future was stolen, while SJ lives as a free man and has suckered another woman into marrying him.

That's an understatement.

It's nailed on that SJ murdered Billie-Jo. During the case, it came out that SJ was a violent, controlling father/husband who had a short fuse. Billie-Jo was painting the doors that morning as punishment, so there was friction between them. SJ takes his other daughter on an unplanned trip to the DIY store and drives around the neighbourhood twice before realising he's "forgot" his wallet. The trip takes around 15-20 mins, leaving a narrow window of opportunity for Billie-Jo's murder. When they return home, SJ makes the peculiar move of leaving Billie-Jo's body to sit in his car for emergency services to arrive. It's been suggested that SJ did this in case any traces of Billie-Jo's blood were found in the car. At the retrial, the prosecution tried to bring late evidence that showed SJ's clothes contained Billie-Jo's bone fragments but it was refused by the judge. In the interests of justice this evidence should've been admitted and may have secured SJ's conviction.

If that wasn't damning enough, SJ wrote that while the paramedics were tending to Billie-Jo, he spoke to a plain-clothes officer who consoled him. As there was no plain-clothes officer on duty, SJ believes this man was actually Billie-Jo's killer. That's right, Billie-Jo's killer didn't escape while the coast was clear. Instead, he waited in the house and then made himself known to the victim's father. That's the problem with a compulsive liar like Sion Jenkins - they don't know when to shut up.

It's appalling that Billie-Jo's future was stolen, while SJ lives as a free man and has suckered another woman into marrying him.

I'm not sure if I am refering to the same documentary linked above as that won't work for me, but I remember seeing a documentary not long after the trial where the prosecution demonstrated just how much force it would have taken Billie-Jo to have exhaled those blood droplets on to SJs clothes. As you've said, his temper was well known, and he was a complusive liar, he even faked his qualifications on his application for his Deputy Headmasters job, he was actually just a PE teacher!

Billie-Jo: In an extraordinary attack on her ex-husband, Lois Jenkins

Jenkins lied his way into school job

I'm not sure if I am refering to the same documentary linked above as that won't work for me, but I remember seeing a documentary not long after the trial where the prosecution demonstrated just how much force it would have taken Billie-Jo to have exhaled those blood droplets on to SJs clothes. As you've said, his temper was well known, and he was a complusive liar, he even faked his qualifications on his application for his Deputy Headmasters job, he was actually just a PE teacher!

Billie-Jo: In an extraordinary attack on her ex-husband, Lois Jenkins

Jenkins lied his way into school job

I recall the same programme, the blood spatter was recreated and it was key to his acquittal.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back