SC - Three teenage girls killed on Bay Road - 22 Dec 2016

PeterThomasFan

Reaction score
Three teenage girls killed on Bay Road
From staff reports info@myhorrynews.com Updated 1 hr ago

Three Horry County high school girls were killed in a car crash on Bay Road in Horry County at about 3 a.m. this morning, but the Horry County Coroner's Office is choosing not to release the names of the girls, according to deputy coroner Michelle McSpadden.

Immediate families of all three have been notified and all three families have requested that names of the deceased nut be released. The Horry County Coroner's Office is honoring those requests, she wrote.

The deceased are a 14-year-old female student from St. James Middle School, a 15-year-old female student from St. James High School and a 15-year-old female student from Socastee High School.

[…]

Google Map

Other Local MSM:

http://wbtw.com/2016/12/22/crash-blocks-bay-road-in-myrtle-beach/

http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/34112448/coroner-responds-to-fatal-wreck-on-bay-road-in-horry-county

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/local/article122509239.html

:{ So young. How devastating for their families.

Omg the car!!!!!!

What in the world are such young kids doing out after 3am??

This is heartbreaking.....

I was wondering that, in my state none of them would have been legal to drive at that hour or together for that matter.

Omg the car!!!!!!

What in the world are such young kids doing out after 3am??

This is heartbreaking.....

Yes, it is surely devastating to imagine by looking at the damage. At first, the news reported it as a 2-car collision, but later discovered it was a truck that split in two after hitting a tree.

Wondering too why they were out at that time?

As far as how it happened, my thoughts right away were: alcohol (before I knew how young they were), inexperience driving, driving too fast (obviously they were speeding), and possibly that the driver swerved to avoid hitting a deer, cat, or other animal.

• Bay Road doesn't have any traffic at that time of night.
  • It was the darkest night of the year! It would have been pitch-black and there are no street lights at all.
  • The curve in the road at the spot of the accident is pretty tricky to maneuver.
  • The ditches on the sides of Bay Road are super deep! All I can ever think about when I drive on that road is: if you drive too far off the road, you'll be in the ditch automatically and your car/truck is flipping!

Thank goodness they aren't releasing the names. For some horrible reason, people right now feel compelled to gather in front of strangers houses and protest, and act hateful online.

Best to stay out of ANY online spotlight, for whatever reason.

Community remembers three teen girls killed in Bay Road crash
Friday, December 23rd 2016, 5:53 pm EST
Friday, December 23rd 2016, 11:16 pm EST

HORRY COUNTY, SC (WMBF) – The scene of the fatal crash on Bay Road is now marked with flowers to remember the three teenage girls killed there early Thursday morning.

A number of people dropped off bouquets and even a package of Reese’s peanut butter cups.

Meanwhile, people are calling for guardrails to be added to Bay Road in light of the deadly single-vehicle crash.

An online petition was posted Friday and asked for the change to prevent other fatal crashes. The creator noted that “the ditches are deep and extremely dangerous.”

[...]

Speaking with the parents of one of the three teens killed in tragic Bay Road wreck w/video
by Sydney Glenn & Mikayla MercerFriday, December 23rd 2016

Myrtle Beach, S.C. (WPDE) — Three teenage girls died after the pickup truck they were in crashed into a ditch and then hit a tree early Thursday morning.

In an exclusive interview, ABC15's Sydney Glenn spoke with the parents of one of the girls.

She asked them why they're talking and how they want their daughter to be remembered.

Kai-Lei Schumal was just 14 years old when she died early Thursday morning in a tragic wreck on Bay Road.

[...]

Guardrails = YES!!!
They are non-existent here! They could have easily saved these girls lives. :gaah:

So many roads with little or no shoulders, or even rumble strips.

Road lighting is poor to beyond poor on ever major road I've driven on in this area. The backroads have none at all!

Just last night when I was driving home from an event, I was emphatically talking to my wife about how I couldn't even see any lines on the road. Most are faded so bad or worn away completely!

Not to mention this latest report... South Carolina drivers rank among worst in US

And not all wearing seat belts....sigh
The driver was wearing a seat belt and sustained fatal injuries after being entrapped in the truck, according to the SCHP. One of the passengers, who was not wearing a seat belt, became entrapped in the truck and sustained fatal injuries. The second passenger, who was also not wearing a seat belt, was ejected from the truck and sustained fatal injuries.
<snipped>
http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/34112448/coroner-responds-to-fatal-wreck-on-bay-road-in-horry-county

Since one was wearing a seatbelt but was also killed, I don't think a seatbelt would have saved any of them under the circumstances. I'm not trivializing seatbelts (I fully believe in the safety benefit of seatbelts), but saying they alone cannot prevent fatalities when other factors are involved, such as speed, fatigue, and poor road conditions. Teenagers feel invincible and they don't have enough life experience (or driving experience) to recognize dangers around them. Driving in the dark on a hazardous road is a challenge even for an experienced driver, but especially challenging for an unexperienced driver. My heart goes out to the families of these girls. :(

May God bless the families and wrap his arms around them. What a horrible accident. They must have been traveling very fast, and at that young age, no experience. RIP young ladies. Katt

What a tragedy.

I agree that inexperienced driving is most likely a contributing factor.

It is absolutely one of the most dangerous times in our lives is when we begin to drive around in friends cars for the first time right after someone just got a license or a permit.

It takes about 2 full years IMO to begin to get comfortable with being able to handle most road situations one will encounter.

And throw in driving at 3 AM in the dark and with friends distracting each other and it is a recipe for a disaster. Such a tragedy. Prayers for the famlies and friends of the victims of this accident.

What a tragedy.
I agree that inexperienced driving is most likely a contributing factor.
It is absolutely one of the most dangerous times in our lives is when we begin to drive around in friends cars for the first time right after someone just got a license or a permit.
It takes about 2 full years IMO to begin to get comfortable with being able to handle most road situations one will encounter.
And throw in driving at 3 AM in the dark and with friends distracting each other and it is a recipe for a disaster. Such a tragedy. Prayers for the famlies and friends of the victims of this accident.

I'm just jumping off ^ post and agreeing that ^ factors are contributing factors.

W Google Streetview, I 'drove' along road where crash occurred and if speed limit was posted there, I missed it. Anyone know the limit? That two lane stretch has narrow shoulders but is straight where crash happened. I am not an accident reconstructionist, but seems imo that high speed was the critical factor in causing the sad deaths of these teens.

Has anyone seen pix from any single vehicle crash which caused cab to separate from chassis -(IOW, truck split into two pieces) where it was going 25 mph? 35? 45? 55? Even 65?

Guard rails? "A guardrail is a safety barrier intended to shield a motorist who has left the roadway. Guardrails can make roads safer and lessen the severity of crashes. For most drivers in most conditions, guardrails work as intended. However, guardrails cannot completely protect drivers in every situation. Factors such as the size, speed, and orientation of a vehicle can affect guardrail performance."
^ http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/guardrailsafety/guardrailbasics.cfm

"....Because these crashworthiness tests are conducted with vehicles traveling at a speed of 100 kilometers per hour (62 miles per hour), if a vehicle hits a guardrail at a higher speed, the guardrail may not operate optimally." bbm
http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/roadway_...ardware/resource_charts/roadsideterminals.pdf

^ gives me impression that tests are not/rarely conducted at speeds exceeding 62 mph, perhaps because the guardrails may not help reduce injuries or deaths at such high speeds. IDK.
Would they have prevented these tragic deaths in pickup driven across the center line? IDK.

As a Mother of one teen said - maybe this will help parents discuss driving safety w their teens.

RIP. Sad, sad, tragic.

I don't know who the other two girls were, but Kai-Lei was the granddaughter of a dear friend of mine. He's a wonderful, loving, kind-hearted, free-spirited person and loved his granddaughter fiercely. My heart is broken for him and the entire family.

Our community seems to face tragedies in duplicate. To make matters worse, 17-year-old Aiden Mendoza drowned surfing yesterday, a few blocks from my house:

http://wbtw.com/2016/12/26/surfer-drowns-in-surfside-beach-monday-morning/

I don't know who the other two girls were, but Kai-Lei was the granddaughter of a dear friend of mine. He's a wonderful, loving, kind-hearted, free-spirited person and loved his granddaughter fiercely. My heart is broken for him and the entire family.
Our community seems to face tragedies in duplicate. To make matters worse, 17-year-old Aiden Mendoza drowned surfing yesterday, a few blocks from my house:
http://wbtw.com/2016/12/26/surfer-drowns-in-surfside-beach-monday-morning/

"tragedies in duplicate"

A very apt description. Sad, sad, sad.

They were traveling at close to 100 mph to do that much damage I have cut many of people out of cars and trucks and speed is what killed these teens not the roadn
Guardrails = YES!!!
They are non-existent here! They could have easily saved these girls lives. :gaah:

So many roads with little or no shoulders, or even rumble strips.

Road lighting is poor to beyond poor on ever major road I've driven on in this area. The backroads have none at all!

Just last night when I was driving home from an event, I was emphatically talking to my wife about how I couldn't even see any lines on the road. Most are faded so bad or worn away completely!

Not to mention this latest report... South Carolina drivers rank among worst in US

Now that I am an "old" it seems amazing to me that with all that has been learned about brain development i.e not being fully developed until the twenties, that we still allow teens behind the wheel. I know it is too late to change, the barn door has been open for far too long, but it makes me more relieved than ever not to be a parent. How do they ever sleep...:(

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eagerhuntress
Back