CANADA Canada - Serial animal killer on the loose in London Ontario? - Dec. 2016

Snoopster

Reaction score
Very disturbing....with mutilation, skinning, etc., of coyotes, a goose, a bunny, a cat and a dog, all left in public places to be found.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com//news/national/serial-animal-killer-may-be-on-the-loose-in-london-ont-humane-society/article33414248/?cmpid=rss1&click=sf_globe

Over the last year, Foster said, there have been at least eight incidents involving 17 dead animals, including a skinned and beheaded bunny found on the Western University campus, a mutilated cat found in a park, six dead coyotes – two of them headless and skinned – placed in a pose in three different locations, and seven dead snakes left in a strange pose.

A stabbed and partially skinned goose was dropped off at the humane society’s front door, she said.

“This is a serial animal killer,” Arntfield said, calling it a clear case of zoosadism – being sadistic to an animal – with an underlying sexual component.

Arntfield said he is concerned that whoever is behind the animal killings could potentially move on to more serious crimes targeting humans.

This is so disturbing. It started with wildlife and moved on to pets. The posing adds an extra disturbing element which makes it difficult to believe that this individual isn't very dangerous.

As an aside, I'm surprised that the perpetrator found that many coyotes to kill. It's not like there a lot of them in the London region.

Just popped on to start a thread, glad to see it has already been started, very upsetting and gross, but it is important for this to be noted, animal mutilation can be a warning that a human sk is in the making, Luka Magnotta, comes to mind
imo, speculation.
http://www.citynews.ca/2016/12/22/humane-society-says-serial-animal-killer-may-loose-london-ont/
Michael Arntfield, a criminology professor at Western University, believes one person is behind all the incidents. “This will continue to escalate,” he said in a phone interview. “This is not a prank, it’s not mischief, it’s sexual, it’s predatory, it’s high risk and it’s criminal.”
Arntfield, a former police officer, is confident that one of the incidents – the mutilated goose that was dropped off at the humane society – suggests the person has been to the humane society before.
Two years ago, Arntfield said he received a tip that someone was going to the London Humane Society claiming to be a rescuer and asking to adopt animals “with the sole purpose of torturing them and mutilating them.”

Regarding the coyotes, I recall the stories when they happened, but here are the related news items.

First in March 2015, in the same week:
1 pair of coyotes, laying side-by-side, found on Western University campus in London.
1 pair of coyotes, headless, found in the bush near Parkhill Ontario, 40 km north of London.
http://www.lfpress.com/2015/03/19/ontario-ministry-of-natural-resources-investigating-bizarre-dead-coyote-discoveries

Then, a year later in February 2016:
2 skinned and beheaded coyotes found on a retail property in London. (So now the skinning has started.)
http://www.lfpress.com/2016/02/23/two-coyote-carcasses-found-in-east-london

S

How do you catch a coyote, how does the person know that they and some of the other wild animals are not carrying rabies or other diseases?
Wondering how they transport them and "pose" them in public places without being seen?
Would this person look different, smell different from other people?
speculation.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...drives-people-to-torture-animals-9844721.html
What drives people to torture animals?
When the science of behavioural profiling began to emerge in the 1970s, one of the most consistent findings reported by the FBI was that childhood animal cruelty was a common behaviour among serial murderers and rapists

• 6 November 2014
A number of criminological studies have shown that around a third to a half of all sexual murderers have abused animals during childhood and/or adolescence (although I ought to add that sample sizes in most of these published studies are usually relatively small). However, most research has reported that one of the most important ‘warning signs’ and risk factors (specifically relating to the propensity for sex offending), is animal cruelty if accompanied by a sexual interest in animals. Other researchers have speculated that the zoosadistic acts among male adolescents may be connected to problems of puberty and proving virility.
rbbm

Thanks for that research.

What do you make of Michael Arntfield, the criminology professor quoted in the local news, comments, "underlying sexual component." and “This will continue to escalate,” he said in a phone interview. “This is not a prank, it’s not mischief, it’s sexual, it’s predatory, it’s high risk and it’s criminal.”? Besides the research, why did he say this was sexual. Is there an element not reported in the news? Or if that his opinion based on research?

What's really strange to me is that this isn't simply animal abuse, it's meticulous and almost surgical.

What do you make of Michael Arntfield, the criminology professor quoted in the local news, comments, "underlying sexual component." and “This will continue to escalate,” he said in a phone interview. “This is not a prank, it’s not mischief, it’s sexual, it’s predatory, it’s high risk and it’s criminal.”? Besides the research, why did he say this was sexual. Is there an element not reported in the news? Or if that his opinion based on research?

What's really strange to me is that this isn't simply animal abuse, it's meticulous and almost surgical.

Shudder to think, but the " sexual component " element may not have been reported directly, but perhaps the word " posed " as reported in news stories, suggests something more, imo.
Dr. M Artnfield, is very knowledgeable imo.

Dr Arntfield is very knowledgeable. He wrote a book fairly recently (Murder City) about a period of time when there were several serial killers running loose in London back in the 1960's and 1970's. In the book he was very meticulous in outlining the various paraphilias that are seen in violent sexual offenders, including serial killers. The book wasn't a "sensationalized" book, but rather laid out the research and facts.

I suspect his reference to sexual component does not refer to anything found in the animals, but rather behaviours seen in some serial killers and violent rapists when they are younger. The posing and mutilation is an arousal for them.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/serial-animal-killings-london-1.3911111
[h=1]Slow reaction to animal mutilations in London, Ont. allowed killer to escalate: criminologist[/h]
[h=3]Michael Arntfield has been calling for full investigation into disturbing animal killings for two years[/h] By Derek Spalding, Dan Taekema, Dec 23, 2016
The disturbing series of animal killings in London, Ont. have been escalating because authorities have been slow to react to the gruesome discoveries, says a criminologist who has been raising alarm about the case for two years.
Many of the animals are found in groups and placed in specific patterns.
Michael Arntfield, a criminology professor at Western University, has been following the incidents and has contacted police and the humane society to alert them of what could be an extremely violent killer who could eventually turn to harming people.
"No one really has seen the bigger picture here — the 1,000-yard view — which suggests that someone is doing this to get off," he said. "They're enjoying the theatricality of it and the attention and the alarm that it's causing. It will continue exponentially until they're identified."
Arntfield said there should have been an investigation when two mutilated coyotes were discovered in a sexual position along the Thames River bank on campus at Western University
"It's sort of a dress rehearsal for other semi-sexual or violently sexual acts committed against, either other species or humans," he said. "Law enforcement in the U.S. is required to report these incidents to the FBI … knowing full well that it serves as a distant early warning for more serious offences."
Arntfield also says the killings are becoming more gruesome and elaborate.

"'But when [the animals] keep showing up — new species, increasingly elaborate designs, increasingly severe mutilations — there's no doubt this person is escalating."

I'm puzzled and alarmed by this story. Alarmed because of the escalation and the posing. Puzzled at how he was trapping or luring the coyotes. Maybe he is baiting with food. Coyotes are curious and can approach people but they are tricksters and will get away pretty fast. Killing pest animals doesn't explain what's going on in this case. A few years ago, there was someone in Toronto trapping and skinning beavers in the Don Valley along the river. Beaver pelts could be sold to someone who knows how to cure and tan skins and pelts. I hope this gets resolved quickly.

Coincidentally (?), similar crimes are presently ongoing in London, England too.
The animals also found in public places, with clean cuts and no blood.
http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20161219-meet-the-police-on-the-trail-of-a-serial-cat-killer
  • By Chris Baraniuk
20 December 2016
It began in September 2015. A local pet group posted a Facebook update about cats being found dead and with a variety of mutilations. It caught Jenkins's attention. He shared it on Snarl's own Facebook page and started making enquiries.
Many people they initially spoke to dismissed the killings as the likely work of foxes
"Shortly after that, we found out that a cat that had gone missing on the Tuesday had actually been found on the Wednesday morning 20 doors down the road, mutilated and with no blood, on the front path near the doorstep," remembers Jenkins. They would later realise that this was a characteristic deposit. The cats' remains are often left in visible places, even directly below house windows, seemingly to create a display that shocks.
http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/london-s-cat-ripper-serial-killer-making/
Is
London’s ‘Cat Ripper’ A Serial Killer In The Making?

This individual is very keen to make sure that their acts of cruelty are made public. In fact, after reportedly luring their victims with raw chicken, strangling them, and taking their bodies to a secret location to mutilate them with a knife or machete, they return them for local residents to find. Their work is cold and calculated. Much planning and preparation has gone into where and when to commit the acts so as to avoid witnesses. The killer appears to use gloves and protective clothing to avoid leaving DNA evidence behind. A Dangerous Method
Research demonstrates that extreme acts of animal abuse, which appear to reward their perpetrators with feelings of enjoyment, even elation, usually are the work of individuals with severe psychiatric disorders. Their motivations may include a desire to demonstrate power over not only the animal but the pet’s human owner, too. They may even experience some form of sexual pleasure (known as zoosadism) from the acts they perform. Alternatively, some acts of animal abuse are symptomatic of an individual’s anger concerning an issue that is completely unrelated to their victims.

I've done some searching to find old news articles in order to identify a clear timeline. It's not perfect, as some media reports conflict, however it still gives a sense of the escalation and the geographic disposal sites.

Here's my best guess on the timeline at this point (Note that dates mentioned are dates animals found):

March 15, 2015 (Sun.) - 2 coyotes; Western University (north end of London), in snowbank on riverside trail (Western is a large university, with approximately 25,000 students, and would be quite active at this time of year in spite of the cold winter weather.)

March 15, 2015 (Mon.) - 2 coyotes; Parkhill (40 km N. of London), in the bush; beheaded.

March 20, 2015 (Fri) - 2 coyotes; McEwan Dr. (nr. Ailsa Craig; 20km NW of London), beside country road. (This would be very rural, so not clear how long coyotes would have been there. Were the 3 groups of coyotes all placed on the weekend of March 14/15?)

Apr ?? 2015 - 2 coyotes; Middlesex Centre (Township north and NW of London.)

Feb <23 2016 - puppy; near Lucan (25 km N. of London); shot 19x by pellet gun; lived.

Feb <23 2016 - 2 coyotes; Clark & Trafalger (east London), behind 24-hour grocery store; skinned and beheaded.

July 23/24 2016 - cat; Springbank Park (riverside park in west London); found just off path; partially skinned w. intestines lying a foot away (may have been interfered with by wildlife, as cat not cleaned like in other cases)

July ~25/26 2016 - goose; @ entrance to London Humane Society on Clark Rd (~ 2km N. on Clark from where beheaded coyotes were found in Feb.); stab wounds; partially skinned.

Sept 2016 - 11 (7?) dead snakes (boas) posed in grass near garbage pick up (residential area in London - not identified); not skinned or obviously mutilated based on photos or news reports. (Is this case related?)

Sep 22 2016 - cat found with severe leg injury (either bullet or large pellet). Had to have leg amputated; found nr Commissioners and Viscount in London (SW London residential area). Is this one related??

Dec 15/16 2016 (Th/Fri) - small dog; Adelaide St & Lorne Av (in Beer Store parking lot; central London); beheaded, skinned, blood drained, puncture wounds.

We have seen zoosadism mentioned in both the London Ontario and London UK situations. When looking up zoosadism it became clear to me that there is a difference between zoosadism and zoophilia. The former is a desire to hurt/mutilate animals, while the latter is a "sexual attraction" to animals.

Turning back to the case at hand, and looking at the timeline, it seems to me that the perpetrator lives north of London in a rural or semi-rural area. He likely has access to a truck. (Pickup trucks are a dime a dozen in that area.) I don't think he's going to college/university, otherwise he would not have been operating in the rural region during the winter. He likely grew up in the region as he knows London very well. He took easy access roads into the city. Adelaide, Clark Road, Richmond St to the University, and Hyde Park Rd to Boler Rd (to get to Springbank Park) are all major north/south routes.

Of course I've presumed the perp is a male operating by himself, based on the odds. I would guess he's an older teen. He must be able to drive. I might be wrong on any of these assumptions, but I am just going with the odds.

The reason I am so focused on this case right now (as I juggle Christmas activities) is that I hope we can stop this guy before he kills someone!!

Unsure if this is related, but seems similar..
http://www.orangeville.com/news-sto...tated-rabbit-found-in-orangeville-schoolyard/
Sep 15, 2016 |
Posed decapitated rabbit found in Orangeville schoolyard

According to investigators, the rabbit&#8217;s decapitated carcass was found near a fence line at the back of the schoolyard. It had been posed and was surrounded by sticks.

&#8220;It appeared to be a clean cut,&#8221; said Orangeville Const. Scott Davis. It appears a sharp edged tool was used and it appears to be a deliberate act.&#8221;
https://www.google.ca/search?q=Oran...epdWIXjLeH-jwThv6jgDg#q=Orangeville+to+london
attachment.php

Attachments

• data=RfCSdfNZ0LFPrHSm0ublXdzhdrDFhtmHhN1u-gM,iFPCKnxo5168_x_ffmgDmq7Om_Murdp22RlX3KGnQNstKvNsj0j.png
    data=RfCSdfNZ0LFPrHSm0ublXdzhdrDFhtmHhN1u-gM,iFPCKnxo5168_x_ffmgDmq7Om_Murdp22RlX3KGnQNstKvNsj0j.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 330
Deleted post

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ilating-pets-wildlife/?utm_term=.8cc4a7401008
The lack of blood at the scenes suggests they were killed elsewhere, according to Judy Foster, the London Humane Society&#8217;s executive director. Additionally, a scalpel appears to have been used in each case, either for stabbing or skinning, and most of the animals were found in cold temperatures. &#8220;There&#8217;s no way to measure how disturbing this is,&#8221; Foster told the Canadian Press. &#8220;An outcome like this is not one we would expect to see in our community.&#8221;
Foster said the humane society staff is so scarred by the gruesome discoveries that counselors are coming in soon to help staff members grapple with their findings.

&#8220;The longer we talk about this, the hair on my arms are standing straighter and straighter,&#8221; Foster said. &#8220;It&#8217;s chilling.&#8221;

Beyond horrified with this one.

Rural, local guy - potentially a student at UWO. Bet campus police thought it was a prank when they found the coyotes on campus.

There MUST be video of this freak.

How many registered male students at UWO and Fanshawe are registered as living outside London, in the rural outlying areas?

Good catch on the Orangeville crime, and thank-you for the summary.

Coyotes are very skittish. Are there any bullet wounds? If not, it's clear that they are being trapped, with a certainty of the rural outskirts of London.

Young, male hunter, rural. Why dump on campus at UWO? There are people everywhere all the time. Guy was comfortable on campus.

Does anyone know the precise location of the coyote dump on campus?

Guy is taunting by:

-posing snakes (was he watching them be found? )

- sending a picture to UWO cop/criminolgist of the ducks

-all those coyotes in March. One big kill? Guy has acreage and/or pens

-dumped on campus at UWO and humane society. Why??

Wondering if perp lures the coyotes with food laced with something that knocks them out, then kills them?

Video
Dec 26/16
http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/pet-owners-taking-precautions-after-animals-found-mutilated-1.3217888
The London Humane Society is trying to reassure residents after a number of disturbing discoveries in the city.

Seventeen animals have been found dead and mutilated over the last year, including a bunny, six coyotes and seven snakes.
All of them were skinned and beheaded.

WARNING - Graphic photo of the animals at link

It appears as if the MNR was the lead in this case early on.

The bridge where the coyotes were found over The Thames is very busy with foot and car traffic all the time and is right at one of the main entrances for UWO. To leave them there is insane.

One was trapped and one had a bullet and I read elsewhere they were sexually posed .

Fourth Pair of Dead Coyotes Discovered in London Area

London, Ontario / (CFPL AM) AM 980
Posted: April 09, 2015 06:01 am
| Last Updated: April 09, 2015 07:03 am
Fourth Pair of Dead Coyotes Discovered in London Area
Police have confirmed the discovery of two more dead coyotes in Middlesex Centre, the fourth pair to be found in our region in less than a month.

The latest discovery was made on Good Friday, but only confirmed by Middlesex OPP Wednesday night.

The lifeless coyotes, laying side by side, were found in the area of McEwen Drive and New Ontario Road, southeast of Ailsa Craig.

Back on March 15th, the bodies of two dead coyotes were found metres away from the Thames River upstream from the bridge on University Drive at Western University. In that case, one of the animals was shot and the other appeared to have been killed by a trap. The animals appeared to be deliberately placed side by side.

The following day, a Strathroy-area woman out hiking came across the bodies of two coyotes – dead, beheaded, and placed side by side just off McGuffin Hills Drive near Parkhill.

A third pair of coyotes were found dead on McEwan Drive on March 20th.

All four cases are now being investigated by the Ministry of Natural Resources. A spokesperson for the Ministry says their investigation is ongoing and it’s not confirmed whether the incidents are connected

http://www.am980.ca/2015/04/09/fourth-pair-of-dead-coyotes-discovered-in-london-area/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back