GUILTY CA - David Wicks, 54, clerk burned alive at gas station, Burney, 21 Dec 2016

Pamela_Brewer

Reaction score
"Shortly before 7 p.m. PT, a man dressed in yellow rain gear, a black hood pulled over his head and black gloves on his hands, walked into the gas station, sprayed a flammable liquid around the store and on the likable clerk behind the counter, lit the fluid on fire."

Hicks was asked if it was intentional, he was able to mananage to nod his head yes, he died a little while later and was not able to answer any additional questions.

Video at link:
http://www.11alive.com/mb/news/town-reeling-after-gas-station-clerk-set-on-fire-killed/377281218

How awful! I've learned from the Sherri Papini thread that Redding has become a high crime area. But, this crime seems very personal. Nothing to suggest it was a robbery. If a terrorist attack, perp would have waited until the was busy with customers.

Since it appears Wicks was targeted, I wonder if he recently fired someone. I hope, and do believe, the perp will be identified and apprehended soon. LE should post a photo of the bike the perp used, or is it believed to be stolen?

After reviewing surveillance images from the gas station, it became immediately clear that this was a deliberate act, and Mr. Wicks was specifically targeted.

"He walked through the store briefly, he doused Mr. Wicks with a flammable liquid, and unfortunately lit him on fire. He immediately turned and walked out of the residence, got on a beach-cruiser style bicycle, and headed westbound away from the gas station," said Clegg.

Investigators later found a bike matching the description about 4 blocks away, but no suspect.

<snipped>

http://www.actionnewsnow.com/news/murder-investigation-gas-station-cashier-burned-alive/

How awful! I've learned from the Sherri Papini thread that Redding has become a high crime area. But, this crime seems very personal. Nothing to suggest it was a robbery. If a terrorist attack, perp would have waited until the was busy with customers.

Since it appears Wicks was targeted, I wonder if he recently fired someone. I hope, and do believe, the perp will be identified and apprehended soon. LE should post a photo of the bike the perp used, or is it believed to be stolen?

<snipped>

http://www.actionnewsnow.com/news/murder-investigation-gas-station-cashier-burned-alive/
b20c2f4105e972ff1504a0a60b46b542.jpg

It in the article.

There is something odd about the suspect's clothing:

3B96F99A00000578-0-image-a-69_1482475404525.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4060864/Gas-station-worker-killed-set-fire-attacker.html

His clothing is identified as rain gear, but there look like holes in it -- mostly in the arms. Is it just the quality of the security camera or is this gear worn by people in a certain profession? I've looked at images of Nomex, worn by firefighters and don't think that's it either. But, the latter would make sense. The perp would want to protect himself from the fire.

ETA: I've searched images of rain gear, firefighting gear, and biker gear. Maybe the colors are just washed out in the surveillance photo, but this looks too pale in comparison to the reflective gear I've searched. It looks more like an old moth-eaten outfit the perp dragged out of storage. Possibly a mechanics uniform? I can see a potential connection between a mechanic and a gas station. JMO

I'm usually wrong, but I saw this report on KTLA and instantly thought Pamela Smart. It's SO bizarre, so odd. Who deliberately covers up head to toe, sprays a "flammable liquid" all over, sets him alight, escapes - ON A BIKE! - not a car (makes me think said covered-up individual didn't have a car/access to a car = maybe a juvenile). And then the victim is able to affirm he was targeted, but unable to communicate further. Please note I'm not suggesting his wife is involved, just that the idea of an adult persuading a younger person to do this crime was what struck me.

TBH I'm not even convinced the perpetrator is a male. From the video still shown it could just as easily be a girl.

The yellow rain suit looks like the type of gear the "chain monkeys" wear. On the highways in California that climb into the mountains, the CHP will set up chain control points when the weather conditions warrant them.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Drivers must stop and put snow chains on their vehicles to proceed. At these control points, there are chain monkeys that make quite a bit of money in the winter time installing snow chains for the drivers for about $20 a car.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 604
  • chainson.jpg
    chainson.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 609

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4060864/Gas-station-worker-killed-set-fire-attacker.html

His clothing is identified as rain gear, but there look like holes in it -- mostly in the arms. Is it just the quality of the security came
ra or is this gear worn by people in a certain profession? I've looked at images of Nomex, worn by firefighters and don't think that's it either. But, the latter would make sense. The perp would want to protect himself from the fire.

ETA: I've searched images of rain gear, firefighting gear, and biker gear. Maybe the colors are just washed out in the surveillance photo, but this looks too pale in comparison to the reflective gear I've searched. It looks more like an old moth-eaten outfit the perp dragged out of storage. Possibly a mechanics uniform? I can see a potential connection between a mechanic and a gas station. JMO

Agree, it's hard to figure out what the yellow outfit is. I've looked around a bit.
http://www.thefirestore.com/store/category.aspx/categoryId/677/Turnout-Gear/

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...ear_mngr_populardepartments_03.09.16_raingear

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...BIR&pq=men tracksuit yellow &sc=0-16&sp=-1&sk=

Because it looks 'drapey' imo more like a track suit or warmup outfit than FF or cycle wear, but IDK.
And as Indy Anna said, looks like it has holes in it, almost moth-eaten.
Or could the 'holes' be black or dark spots as part of a pattern of the fabric?
Could the black diagonal lines on his upper chest /coat be zippers?

JM2cts, could be wrong.

I think the black lines on the chest are zippers.

Do you think there is anything to the type of crime (death by fire) and the name of the place Burney (Burn - e)

Agree, it's hard to figure out what the yellow outfit is. I've looked around a bit.
http://www.thefirestore.com/store/category.aspx/categoryId/677/Turnout-Gear/

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...ear_mngr_populardepartments_03.09.16_raingear

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...BIR&pq=men tracksuit yellow &sc=0-16&sp=-1&sk=

Because it looks 'drapey' imo more like a track suit or warmup outfit than FF or cycle wear, but IDK.
And as Indy Anna said, looks like it has holes in it, almost moth-eaten.
Or could the 'holes' be black or dark spots as part of a pattern of the fabric?
Could the black diagonal lines on his upper chest /coat be zippers?

JM2cts, could be wrong.

Just wondering ... do some warmup jackets have zip pockets at the top? I didn't see any in my search, but doesn't mean there aren't any.

The one thing I lean toward other than a mechanic's outfit is a hunting outfit with camouflage pattern on sleeves and side of pant leg. But, yellow isn't a common color for hunters.

I did find a track jacket that came very close, but with diagonal pockets at the bottom rather than top. A track suit would more likely have a design than a mechanics outfit, which likely would only have a logo.

JMO

I'm usually wrong, but I saw this report on KTLA and instantly thought Pamela Smart. It's SO bizarre, so odd. Who deliberately covers up head to toe, sprays a "flammable liquid" all over, sets him alight, escapes - ON A BIKE! - not a car (makes me think said covered-up individual didn't have a car/access to a car = maybe a juvenile). And then the victim is able to affirm he was targeted, but unable to communicate further. Please note I'm not suggesting his wife is involved, just that the idea of an adult persuading a younger person to do this crime was what struck me.

TBH I'm not even convinced the perpetrator is a male. From the video still shown it could just as easily be a girl.
BBM
This had crossed my mind earlier but I dismissed it. Seems too violent a crime for a female. But, now I'm wondering if that pattern on the perp's jacket sleeves and along side of pants is lace. That would suggest a female. Whatever it is, I hope someone will recognize the outfit and contact LE.

I think the black lines on the chest are zippers.

Do you think there is anything to the type of crime (death by fire) and the name of the place Burney (Burn - e)
I agree about the zippers.

I hadn't thought about the association between the town name and the conflagration. I had thought about the coincidence of the victim's surname, Wicks (i.e., candle or lantern wicks), but I'm pretty sure both associations are only coincidence. If that is what led the perp to do something so horrific, then this is one sick sick individual. Right now, I'm thinking the perp is just one very, very cruel individual who needs to be caught ASAP and brought to justice.

His clothing is identified as rain gear, but there look like holes in it -- mostly in the arms. Is it just the quality of the security camera or is this gear worn by people in a certain profession? I've looked at images of Nomex, worn by firefighters and don't think that's it either. But, the latter would make sense. The perp would want to protect himself from the fire.

Nomex is expensive. His yellow britches appear to have stripes down the center of the legs. The fabric of the stripes appears to be dotted or patterned by the dark colors. Then, the jacket's sleeves have the same fabric as the stripe on the front of the pants legs.

Rain gear would mean waterproof or water resistant. Neoprene is expensive. And fits tightly not lose like this yellow one. Nylon? The yellow fabric looks sturdier than nylon.
Lt. Troy Clegg said they recovered the rain suit around 4 p.m. Thursday, stashed in a trash can on Pine Street and Robin Way, and canvassed the area to search for leads. The bicycle, a black beach cruiser, used by the killer was found on Third Street

My, oh, my. Perp is holding a whiskey bottle or something for the accelerant in his right hand. Beginning to appear the clerk was specifically the target. Why? So sad.

Nomex is expensive. His yellow britches appear to have stripes down the center of the legs. The fabric of the stripes appears to be dotted or patterned by the dark colors. Then, the jacket's sleeves have the same fabric as the stripe on the front of the pants legs.

Rain gear would mean waterproof or water resistant. Neoprene is expensive. And fits tightly not lose like this yellow one. Nylon? The yellow fabric looks sturdier than nylon.

My, oh, my. Perp is holding a whiskey bottle or something for the accelerant in his right hand. Beginning to appear the clerk was specifically the target. Why? So sad.
To me, the fabric looks like a very worn and shabby suede. Yes, that does look like a stripe down the pant leg and could just be wrinkled, but I just can't make out the pattern in the sleeves. Doesn't look like stripes. I hope LE has photo-enhancing equipment they can use to focus more on the clothing. It looks so distinct I'm sure someone would recognize it. MOO

I had rain gear for my Harley a few years back that looked a lot like this yellow outfit. That was my first thought. Any murder is horrible, but there is something about burning a person to death that just affects me in the worst of ways.

....My, oh, my. Perp is holding a whiskey bottle or something for the accelerant in his right hand. Beginning to appear the clerk was specifically the target. Why? So sad.

^ sbm Yes, DeDee, agreeing object could be a whiskey or liquor bottle for the accelerant, but....

Top/cap in pic reminds me of Nalgene or similar bottles, like below, but w top being black or dark color and w 'center button' and loop/cap-keeper being white or light color. The light part of top forms a Q but upside down w the leg/squiggle at 11:00 on the imaginary clock. Or the light colored Q could be cloth or paper wrapped around neck of bottle. Or?
Enlarging pic makes me wonder if body of container is square or octagonal, rather than round. IDK.

Regardless of container type, would the opening facilitate splashing/spraying the liquid widely around to set fire? Or did perp splash liquid primarily on victim and not for feet or yards around him? More pix of fire damage? Thx in adv. IDK.

What is in his left hand? Logically (if we can inject logic into this ~!$%&*'s thought process) could be cig/ fireplace/BBQ lighter or matches. Or?

Stripe on pants? Is it on his left leg, on 'outside' of leg like military or LE pants stripe? Or is 'stripe' formed by dark grout outlining pink-red tile?

RIP Mr. WIcks. Thoughts & prayers to your family, friends, & community.

"The DOJ (Department of Justice) and CAL FIRE will do a full analysis of the bike and the suit to try to connect the two," Lieutenant Clegg said. "If there's DNA found, then there could be a lead."

A suit resembling the one the suspect was wearing in the surveillance footage was found the day after the incident six-tenths of a mile away from the gas station. A bike resembling the one the suspect was riding was found hours after the incident, roughly the same distance away from the gas station.
http://www.krcrtv.com/news/local/sh...body-of-david-wicks-results-pending/235396152

Authorities found a yellow rain suit the next day stashed in a trash can. They also found a black beach cruiser bicycle near Third Street and Pine Avenue, according to the sheriff's office.
http://www.redding.com/story/news/c...continues-investigation-into-murder/95916094/

On Tuesday, December 27 an autopsy was performed on David Wicks. They are most likely trying to find out the type(s) of accelerant(s) used to douse him with. Results should take about two weeks. They are also in the midst of trying to connect DNA from both the bike and the rain gear. Not sure how long this takes. I'm wondering what has come of any interviews with suspects. I hope we'll find out something more soon. The only other update that I've found is that there is going to be a public memorial for David Wicks on Saturday, January 21st at 2 pm at the Burney High School gymnasium. It would be nice to have an arrest before this takes place.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back