NV NV - Elko Co, Hwy 93, Thousand Springs Jane Doe, WhtFem 16-25, UP8359, no adrenals, Jul'74

Romulus

Ivan
Reaction score
NamUs UP 8359

https://www.identifyus.org/en/cases/8359

Unidentified White Female

Found July 16, 1974 in Elko County, NV
Body Condition:
Not recognizable - Charred/burned
Probable year of death: to 1974
Estimated postmortem interval: Months

Vital Statistics
Estimated age: 16-25
Approximate Height: 68 estimate.
Approximate Weight: 120 estimate.
Hair Color: Red/auburn

Eye Color: Unknown
Scars and marks:
No adrenals

Clothing & Accessories

Clothing:
Clothing was burned too badly to identify.
Jewerly: Nothing.
Footwear:
nothing
Accessories:
nothing

Identifiers
Fingerprints: Fingerprint
is not available
Dentals: Dental information /
charting is available
DNA:
Sample is currently not available

Case History:
Found in desert.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/986ufnv.html

The Doe Network
No_Image_Available_female.jpg

[h=1]Unidentified Female[/h]Date of Discovery: July 16, 1974
Location of Discovery: Elko County, Nevada
Estimated Date of Death: Months prior
State of Remains: Not recognizable - charred/burned
Cause of Death: Homicide by strangulation
[h=5]Physical Description[/h]** Listed information is approximateEstimated Age: 16-25 years old
Race: White
Height: 5'7" to 5'9"
Weight: 110-130 lbs.
Hair Color: Red or auburn
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: No adrenals.
Dentals: Available.
Fingerprints: Not available.
DNA: Not available.
[h=5]Clothing & Personal Items[/h]Clothing: Clothing present but burnt. Identifiable were blue jeans, a blue-green colored blouse, and buttons that were commonly used on jackets and overalls in the 1970s.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: A red, plastic fuel can was found near the body with fuel in it, but it wasn't the same fule used on the body.
[h=5]Case History[/h]A tourist couple discovered the victim's charred remains in rural Elko County, 11 miles north of Thousand Springs and 200 feet off Highway 93, near the Winecup Gamble Ranch.
Her killer had strangled her and then poured fuel on her and set her afire.
[h=5]Investigating Agency(s)[/h]If you have any information about this case please contact;Agency Name: Elko County Coroner's Office
Agency Contact Person: N/A
Agency Phone Number: 775-738-8936

Agency Case Number: 197400504
NCIC Case Number: N/A
NamUs Case Number: UP #8359
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.
[h=5]Information Source(s)[/h]NamUs
Elko Daily News Archive (November 24, 2009)

http://elkodaily.com/news/local/car...cle_9b023c9a-d9dd-5309-9cf6-8cd2b2830e28.html
[FONT=&quot]ELKO — Many of the 19 unsolved murders of people found dumped along Elko County’s highways remain unsolved because their killers have taken extra initiative to try and ensure their victims’ identities and their own identities are never discovered.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Whether it’s placing the body in a remote location far off the main highway as is the case with a Starr Valley Jane Doe or disfiguring the corpse so it takes longer to ID the body as in the Thousand Springs Jane Doe, these practices give the killer the opportunity to put greater distances between themselves and the crime scene.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]With any luck, a meeting of investigators from around the state scheduled for today and Tuesday will unlock the answers to some of these questions.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"Thousand Springs Jane Doe
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]On July 14, 1974, the charred body of an unidentified young woman was found 33 miles north of Wells off U.S. Highway 93 near the turn-off to the Winecup Gamble Ranch by a tourist couple who had stopped to stretch their legs in the area referred to as Thousand Springs.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Detective Dennis Journigan of the Elko County Sheriff’s Office said the woman was in her late teens or early 20s. The woman was 5 feet, 8 inches tall and weighed 120 pounds. The body was found about a hundred yards west of the old service station site at the turn-off. It was determined the woman was strangled to death, and the killer or an accomplice had poured diesel fuel or a similar fuel on her body. She was then lit on fire, but only the exterior of her flesh was damaged, and the majority of her clothing was still recognizable to detectives.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Journigan said some clothing remnants, dental records and other physical evidence is still available for analysis. No matches to other missing people in the region were found.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The woman was wearing a pair of jeans, and the buttons were sent to the FBI for analysis. The buttons were a common type also used on jackets and over-alls throughout the 1970s stamped with “militaires equipments.” She was also wearing a blue-green colored blouse.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]A red, plastic fuel can was found near the body with fuel in it, but it wasn’t the same used on the body.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]According to Journigan, it’s highly probable the victim was well-known to the killer on the level of having a physical or deeply emotional relationship. Not only was the burning down to hide evidence, but Journigan said the killer may have been so enraged with anger they went this extra measure to disfigure the body as further punishment.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“That’s often the case when there’s a lot of damage to a body,” Journigan said. “Multiple stab wounds, shot wounds or multiple strikings are indicators of a lot of animosity to the victim.”
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]It’s possible the killer walked the woman up through the wash to the higher ground or simply had killed her and dragged her there."

I believe a Serial Killer was active in Elko County sometime in the 1970's and possibly well into the early 1990's. The article states similarities investigators have found with many cold case homicides of Jane Does.

[/FONT]

I'm wondering if she was born with no adrenal glands (this is possible) or if they were removed. Doesn't seem like any scars were listed so I am assuming born? Can someone live into their early 20's without having adrenals and proper medical treatment? Maybe the victim and other people had no clue she was without adrenal glands.

Something I am beginning to notice with these women who were murdered in Elko County - they all are quite tall! and fair/light haired. AND under 30 years old.

Very strange to have no adrenal glands. They would have had to have been surgically removed and the UID on long-term steroid treatment. The most common cause of adrenalectomy is a tumor of some sort.

I read a little bit about how peoples anxiety decreased after adrenal tumor removal. I was thinking maybe some chop shop doc took them out as an experiment to control behavior? Remove the "fight or flight" response? I did find a reference of a tumor in an 18 year old patient and people can be born without them. Wish it was more specific.

Different Reference: 1975 cure for schizophrenia and cushings
https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/psychological-medicine/article/div-classtitleschizophrenia-and-cushingandaposs-syndrome-cured-by-adrenalectomydiv/C688B2770D460FA8AC32C43F77487C52

Has references cited back to 1945 as a cure for psychosis.

I did some looking at Charley project for women from that time frame with mental illness and needing meds. Not sure how long one could function without appropriate steroids.

I believe a Serial Killer was active in Elko County sometime in the 1970's and possibly well into the early 1990's. The article states similarities investigators have found with many cold case homicides of Jane Does.
(Daisy Chains' original post respectfully shortened by me.) I agree on this one. There are at least three other Jane Does found in Elko County between 1972-1993 that all share the same basic description: white, in their late teens or early twenties, and have some variety of "reddish" hair (color descriptions range from strawberry blonde to auburn). The first, known as Starr Valley Jane Doe https://identifyus.org/cases/8358, was found on July 14, 1972. She was shot to death and posed in a "cross-like" position. The second, Devil's Gate Jane Doe, was found in October of that year https://www.identifyus.org/en/cases/11310. Her cause of death could never be determined but it's believed that she was also a murder victim. Thousand Springs Jane Doe was the third. The last, Shafter Jane Doe https://identifyus.org/cases/4920, was found in November 1993 many years after the others but also fits the pattern. Like the first victim, she was shot to death and posed in a "cross-like" fashion as well. I think there's a good chance these cases could all be connected due to the similarities between the victims even with the different causes of death. Threads for: Starr Valley Jane Doe http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?329822-NV-Elko-Co-WhtFem-UP8358-20-25-posed-in-cross-position-Jan-72, Devil's Gate Jane Doe: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?212107-NV-Elko-Co-WhtFem-UP11310-15-18-near-Devil-s-Gate-Oct-72, and Shafter Jane Doe: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?88421-NV-Elko-Co-WhtFem-125UFNV-25-27-blonde-may-be-from-WY-Nov-93.

I'm pretty sure that having no adrenal glands would cause Addison's Disease. You would have to take medication to replace the hormones the adrenal glands normally produce. I've never heard of anyone being born without adrenal glands and I'm not sure you'd survive very long without them unless the doctors discovered the lack of them soon after birth. Your body needs the hormones that these glands produce. I've heard of them having to be removed due to cancer and various syndromes. This lady must have had an illness sometime in the past that led to the removal of both glands. I don't know that it would take a very large incision to remove them, and if the operation had been done fairly far back in the past, any scars might not really have been noticeable.

A few things I noticed:
- No footwear was found, although she was fully dressed. Makes me think this happened somewhere inside, no lust murder.
- LE thinks this was done by somebody who knew the victim, outraged, acting out. Personal. IMO not really an ad random act done by a serial killer c.q. not the one mentioned in this thread, shooting victims and posing the victims in a cross like manner.
- A red plastic fuel can was found near the body but it didn't contain the same fuel used to set the body on fire, what was done with diesel. Was it an "extra, just to be sure" decision from the killer to take this also and he left it at the scene? Strange....does somebody has an explanation for this? Was it a decoy...the fuel can coming from the old service station, leading suspicions in that direction?

Corinne June Groenenberg - last seen Nov 1973, 16 y/o, 5'6", 115lbs, hair listed as 'brown' but it looks like it has a strawberry tinge to me. Last seen about a days drive away in Modesto, CA. Was last seen hitchhiking. Could she be the UID who encountered foul play while hitchhiking and was then dumped off the highway?
She is listed as having a surgical scar on her abdomen... I quickly googled and it looks like bilateral adrenal gland removal would require multiple small incisors and multiple scars, but I wouldn't discount that as I don't know how it was done in the 70s....
Thumbnail

here is another possible identity, although she disappeared in 1971 so 3 years prior.
Christine Marie Eastin - 5'7", 110lbs, was 19 y/o, has reddish-blonde hair. On NamUs she is listed as having an abdominal scar, but on TheCharleyProject its clarified as a scar from an intestinal operation. Potential voluntary disappearance that could explain the 3 year gap? As per the circumstances apparently the scene of disappearance looked staged, though it was reclassified as an 'involuntary disappearance' later on. Last seen in Hayward CA, an 8 hour drive away from the UID.
eastin_christine3.jpg

I am by no means a medical professional or knowledgable on forensic pathology, but I am wondering if maybe the girl did have adrenal glands that were missed during the autopsy as they were already small and had degraded from the months-long postmortem period?

some info online related to adrenal glands and autopsy;
-Internally, organs disintegrate at different rates. The pancreas, adrenal glands, and gastrointestinal mucosa show marked autolysis early in the PMI.

-"In industrialized countries, adrenal insufficiency is mostly caused by an autoimmune disease that is particularly challenging to evaluate in postmortem investigation as typical macroscopic findings reveal difficult to detect adrenal glands with markedly reduced size. [...] Typically, the dimension of the adrenal glands is markedly reduced and sometimes undetectable."
autoimmune adrenalitis is a leading cause of Addison's Disease, and the symptoms seem like they can be pretty minor/vague so I agree with someone above that its possible the UID wasn't aware of an adrenal condition, and thus info about such wouldn't be included with the missing person's casefile.

-there is also a more rare condition called 'Congenital Adrenal Hypoplasia' where the adult adrenal cortex fails to develop and thus the adrenal glands will be small. Symptoms seem more noticeable, but "milder forms of the disease have been described, with adrenal insufficiency sometimes occurring in childhood or even early adulthood."

Because I believe this is a domestic thing it wouldn't surprise me that this Jane Doe went missing a couple of years before she was found. Being in a relationship, marriage with the person who killed her.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brittinvestigates4u
Back