AR - Victor Collins, 47, found slain in hot tub, Bentonville, 22 Nov 2016 *Arrest*

CARIIS

Former Member
Reaction score
Bizarre

[FONT=&quot]Bates (suspect)had several other smart home devices, including a water meter. That piece of tech shows that 140 gallons of water were used between 1AM and 3AM the night Collins was found dead in Bates' hot tub. Investigators allege the water was used to wash away evidence of what happened off of the patio[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Echo only captures audio and streams it to the cloud when the device hears the wake word "Alexa." A ring on the top of the device turns blue to give a visual indication that audio is being recorded. Those clips, or "utterances" as the company calls them, are stored in the cloud until a customer deletes them either individually or all at once. When that's done, the "utterances" are permanently deleted. What's more, the microphones on an Echo device can be manually turned off at any time.

[/FONT]
[h=1]Police Demand ‘Amazon Echo’ Data as Part of Arkansas Murder Investigation[/h][FONT=&quot]TUE, DEC 27 · CLIP 1 of 7[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Authorities in Arkansas have demanded private information from Amazon, hoping one of its popular home assistant devices holds clues to a murder that occurred inside a private home.[/FONT]

http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news...of-arkansas-murder-investigation-842351172001

https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/27/amazon-echo-audio-data-murder-case/

I would think this would follow under the same guidelines as a phone. Or any other technology based equipment. As long as there is probable cause (in this case there is most definitely that) and the authorities take the proper steps (search warrants ect) then I don't see how this would be different of a computer, security camera or phone.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I just got one of these, but I didn't know it listened even when off. So that's not good. All the conversations and searches or requests do transcribe on our computer. It is in the app and we have reminders on calendars and this all links to our phone. So why don't they just search the phone or computer app?

I would think this would follow under the same guidelines as a phone. Or any other technology based equipment. As long as there is probable cause (in this case there is most definitely that) and the authorities take the proper steps (search warrants ect) then I don't see how this would be different of a computer, security camera or phone.

Exactly, I would guess that they know what is on it, they just need the proper paper work signed to be able to use it. jmo

Well, Alexa will tell you how to get rid of a dead body...

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

But just because something tells you how to do it, doesn't mean you should do it nor is it justified.

I just got one of these, but I didn't know it listened even when off. So that's not good. All the conversations and searches or requests do transcribe on our computer. It is in the app and we have reminders on calendars and this all links to our phone. So why don't they just search the phone or computer app?

Just be very quiet if there is someone you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is funny!

If something happened to me, I'd be proud to say my Alexia solved it!
We are in an age of super technology.......live with it or do not buy it.....JMOO
The water meter is interesting in this case!

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown...urder-case-dropping-first-amendment-argument/

After several months of pushback, Amazon has agreed to release user data from an Amazon Echo device involved in a high-profile Arkansas murder trial...

Benton County Prosecuting Attorney Nathan Smith wrote in an email that prosecutors were “pleased” with Amazon’s decision...

Smith said he could not provide details on the recordings or if they would be used in court because the case is still under investigation.

From November:

Arkansas Prosecutors Drop Murder Case That Hinged On Evidence From Amazon Echo

Arkansas prosecutors have dropped their case against James Bates, whom they had charged with first-degree murder partly with the help of evidence collected by an Amazon Echo smart speaker. On Wednesday, a circuit court judge granted their request to have the charges of murder and tampering with evidence dismissed.

The prosecutors declared nolle prosequi, stating that the evidence could support more than one reasonable explanation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back