"Listen Carefully..." New Book About the JBR Case Featuring WS and FFJ Members

Tricia

Manager Websleuths.com
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Here is something you might find interesting

There is a new book out about JBR that is a bit different than some we have read in the past.

The full title is, "Listen Carefully: Truth and Evidence in the JonBenet Ramsey Case."

It's written by The True Crime Detectives Guild

Great sleuths like Cynic and Cherokee are featured in the book. I have not read it yet but Cynic has and at the end of the almost 3 hour Websleuths Radio show about JonBenet he discusses the book. LISTEN HERE

If you read it please let us know what you think. Maybe Cynic can come on and give us a quick review ;)

Tricia

I'm reading it now. It's probably a bit dry for those who know the case fairly well, but I love the logical way it's laid out. Once I'm finished and if it ends up the excellent primer it so far appears to be, I'll write a review on Amazon. I think something like this was needed, especially for people who have heard nothing but Ramsey lies and spin for 20 years.

I just finished this book and thought it was laid out very well. Logical flow and easy to follow. The actual DNA reports are available and though the science of DNA is beyond me, a small portion is devoted to attempting to explain the different types, sources etc. Nothing really new but information that is recent is contained in the book. I downloaded it from my iPad to the kindle app.
I would recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I keep meaning to post here that I really liked the book. One of those positive reviews on Amazon is from me! What I didn't mention in my review were a few of the specific things I was glad the book brought up:
- the oversized Bloomies
- debunked the stun gun and other "Intruder Myths" (as they termed them)
- the Carnes decision
- the JonBenet Ramsey Children's Foundation nonsense
- John Douglas' bungling of the case
- explanation of the medical language in the autopsy report regarding her genital injuries
- the most recent DNA revelations

There's probably more but I read it a while ago and that's all that immediately comes to mind.

Oh yeah, and they talk about the Ramseys' attempts at creating a "brand" in the media (wholesome devout Christians, a loving normal family) which I thought was a point most books on the case are too polite to state so boldly. So I appreciate that someone finally said it.

I'm reading Listen Carefully right now and as someone who has already read all the major books on the case, I can say that this is a welcome edition. It flows logically and chronicles all the inconsistencies in the Ramseys' statements very well. I honestly learned a number of things I had either forgotten or never knew in the first place. I recommend this book to anyone interested in the case, novice or expert.

I am new here so please excuse if this is not the place to ask. Is this book available in any other format besides Kindle?

I am new here so please excuse if this is not the place to ask. Is this book available in any other format besides Kindle?
Welcome - We're glad you're here! (and this is a great place to ask this question.)

It looks as though this book is only available in kindle for now, but the good news is - you don't have to own a kindle device to read it. You can read on tablet, phone, pc, etc., with an app. Even though I have an older kindle, I use "Kindle Cloud Reader" when I'm on my pc (this is what amazon used to recommend), but there are newer apps on amazon.com now:
https://www.amazon.com/kindle-dbs/fd/kcp

Hope this helps.

I've finally installed a Kindle app and this is definitely going to be my next purchase!

Slightly off topic, I always thought it was rather silly that the writer of the ransom note used the phrase "Listen carefully" to start it off - which is an instruction for someone who is hearing verbal commands, like on a phone. Not reading a note, using their eyes. It reeks of over the top TV/Film melodrama. Whoever wrote the note had seen one to many abduction/kidnapping films.

I was given a Kindle for Christmas 2015 and although I've installed it I haven't yet downloaded anything. I hate gadgets - always have.

But I would like to read this book so I suppose I'll have to blow the dust off my Kindle and start using it.

As for Listen Carefully - wasn't that one of the phrases used by a kidnapper in one of those movies?

Or maybe Patsy used to use that phrase when admonishing the kids?

I was given a Kindle for Christmas 2015 and although I've installed it I haven't yet downloaded anything. I hate gadgets - always have.

But I would like to read this book so I suppose I'll have to blow the dust off my Kindle and start using it.

As for Listen Carefully - wasn't that one of the phrases used by a kidnapper in one of those movies?

Or maybe Patsy used to use that phrase when admonishing the kids?

That phrase is the first line of the ransom note.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a wonderful book. Great read and very informative. If you haven't read it, you should!

Here I go again.

"Inexplicably, Patsy Ramsey remained in the solarium. Despite people yelling that JonBenét had been found, she sat motionless for several minutes."

Guild, True Crime Detectives. Listen Carefully: Truth and Evidence in the JonBenet Ramsey Case (Kindle Locations 413-414). ALLFORONE. Kindle Edition.

"Later in the morning the Ramseys’ friends were still in the rear of the house consoling Patsy, who clutched a crucifix in her hands."

Schiller, Lawrence. Perfect Murder, Perfect Town (p. 17). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition.

Okay. A solarium is a sun room. The study at the back of the house has a bay window. I'm being nit picky, but the sun room and the 1st floor study have both been referred to as solariums. I've been confused about this for a while now and finally have a grip on it. This can refer to either room.

Here I go again.

"Inexplicably, Patsy Ramsey remained in the solarium. Despite people yelling that JonBenét had been found, she sat motionless for several minutes."

Guild, True Crime Detectives. Listen Carefully: Truth and Evidence in the JonBenet Ramsey Case (Kindle Locations 413-414). ALLFORONE. Kindle Edition.

"Later in the morning the Ramseys’ friends were still in the rear of the house consoling Patsy, who clutched a crucifix in her hands."

Schiller, Lawrence. Perfect Murder, Perfect Town (p. 17). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition.

Okay. A solarium is a sun room. The study at the back of the house has a bay window. I'm being nit picky, but the sun room and the 1st floor study have both been referred to as solariums. I've been confused about this for a while now and finally have a grip on it. This can refer to either room.
This is confusing to me. It was my understanding that everyone had been sequestered in the study (which had its own bathroom). I can see the sunroom being called a solarium, but I don't see a study being referred to as such. The study was at the rear of the house.
attachment.php

Attachments

• TS-3+C.jpg
    TS-3+C.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 1,348
I may be totally wrong, but it seems like before the body was found, PR was in the sun room (solarium). Then after the body was found, everyone was eventually sequestered to the study (so as to not contaminate the body even further than it already had been). Unless PR had the crucifix in her hands before the body was found?

I may be totally wrong, but it seems like before the body was found, PR was in the sun room (solarium). Then after the body was found, everyone was eventually sequestered to the study (so as to not contaminate the body even further than it already had been). Unless PR had the crucifix in her hands before the body was found?

This is what I was referring to about them being sequestered:

Just before 10:30 A.M., Detective Patterson ordered JonBenét’s bedroom to be sealed. Then he and Detective Arndt decided to clear the house of nonessential persons. The six other police officers would leave. Patterson himself would return to headquarters to brief Commander Eller. Arndt, the Ramseys, the Whites, the Fernies, Rev. Hoverstock, and the two victim advocates would stay. They were all to remain on the first floor, in the rear study—behind the kitchen, breakfast, and dining room area. Before Patterson left, he declared the rest of the house off-limits to everyone. - Perfect Murder, Perfect Town, Lawrence Schiller

This is confusing to me. It was my understanding that everyone had been sequestered in the study (which had its own bathroom). I can see the sunroom being called a solarium, but I don't see a study being referred to as such. The study was at the rear of the house.
attachment.php

That was confusing to me as well. I actually stayed on thread topic for a change. This is about how Listen Carefully: Truth and Evidence in the JonBenet Ramsey Case is referring to the 1st floor study. The book is by Cherokee and is the 2016 update of his 2003 work. I thought he was mistaken. Patsy was taken to the 1st floor study because it had a sofa and she could lay down. LA corralled everyone in that study. It wouldn't make sense if the body was placed under the tree and Patsy was in the sun room at the front of the house. Patsy would only be a few feet away from the body. No one would have needed to yell that they found the body because Patsy would have only been a few feet away. Cherokee is referring to the 1st floor study as a solarium.

When the body was found, Patsy was at the back of the house in the 1st floor study where they all should have been. John and Fleet went to the basement. Doug Stein stayed on the first floor and didn't follow John and Fleet into the basement. Reverend Holverstock was in the kitchen making tea. LA was on the 1st floor somewhere near the entry of the house. Everyone else was in the 1st floor study.

This is what I was referring to about them being sequestered:

Just before 10:30 A.M., Detective Patterson ordered JonBenét’s bedroom to be sealed. Then he and Detective Arndt decided to clear the house of nonessential persons. The six other police officers would leave. Patterson himself would return to headquarters to brief Commander Eller. Arndt, the Ramseys, the Whites, the Fernies, Rev. Hoverstock, and the two victim advocates would stay. They were all to remain on the first floor, in the rear study—behind the kitchen, breakfast, and dining room area. Before Patterson left, he declared the rest of the house off-limits to everyone. - Perfect Murder, Perfect Town, Lawrence Schiller

Ah, okay -- well then, I have no freaking clue; but I don't think a study is ever called a "solarium." I guess they (PR) were simply in the study at one point in the morning, before she moved into the solarium, where she spent the majority of her time.

That was confusing to me as well. I actually stayed on thread topic for a change. This is about how Listen Carefully: Truth and Evidence in the JonBenet Ramsey Case is referring to the 1st floor study. The book is by Cherokee and is the 2016 update of his 2003 work. I thought he was mistaken. Patsy was taken to the 1st floor study because it had a sofa and she could lay down. LA corralled everyone in that study. It wouldn't make sense if the body was placed under the tree and Patsy was in the sun room at the front of the house. Patsy would only be a few feet away from the body. No one would have needed to yell that they found the body because Patsy would have only been a few feet away. Cherokee is referring to the 1st floor study as a solarium.

When the body was found, Patsy was at the back of the house in the 1st floor study where they all should have been. John and Fleet went to the basement. Doug Stein stayed on the first floor and didn't follow John and Fleet into the basement. Reverend Holverstock was in the kitchen making tea. LA was on the 1st floor somewhere near the entry of the house. Everyone else was in the 1st floor study.

My head is about to explode, lol. Not razzing you or anything, it's a very good topic; it's just that it is very confusing.

To the bolded, remember though, that the body was first laid in the hallway (outside the living room); just outside the stairs that lead to the basement. So still, it doesn't make sense why she wouldn't immediately rush up and tend to her daughter once it was announced she was found, even if she was in the solarium or even the living room -- as there is separation (the walls) between every room.

I always thought that, when the body was found, she was in the living room on the couch; I could be wrong and I haven't read many books on the subject, though.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kac1991
Back