1105 users online (231 members and 874 guests)  

Websleuths News

NY - Robyn Conroy, 29, found strangled, New Paltz, 22 Nov 2005

A Millbrook man who is a registered sex offender has been accused of killing a former girlfriend and then setting her apartment on fire, New Paltz and state police said at a joint press conference Wednesday afternoon.

Michael G. Curtis, 43, of Woodstock Road, is being held without bail in the Ulster County Jail on charges of second-degree murder.

He stands accused of killing Robin Conroy, 29.

Police said Curtis had sexually assaulted Conroy's mother earlier this year and was facing charges of third-degree rape. He had been released from Ulster County Jail, but it was not immediately clear if he had posted bail.

Curtis is a Level 3 sex offender. He was convicted in September of 1990 of first-degree attempted rape and second-degree assault after he sexually assaulted a woman and beat her with a rock in a hayfield off Woodstock Road, where he lives.

As a Level 3 sex offender, Curtis was subject to a nightly curfew, a strict ban on alcohol and mandatory mental health counseling.
    http://www.pojonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...EWS01/51123001
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Let me get this right ,he assaults and tries to murder a woman in 1990 and isnt put in prison for life ,and then he assaults this poor womans mother earlier this year and is out on BAIL .what a travesty of justice .

Just eight weeks before a convicted sex offender from was charged with killing his ex-girlfriend, a town justice ordered him to be supervised by the Ulster County Probation Department.

The order was issued September 26th after 43-year-old Michael Curtis was accused of raping the mother of the woman he later allegedly murdered.

But Ulster County officials say Curtis remained unsupervised in the weeks leading up to the murder of 29-year-old Robin Conroy at her New Paltz apartment.

Millbrook resident Curtis is accused of killing Conroy and setting her apartment on fire on November 22nd. He is charged with second-degree murder.

District Attorney Donald Williams says a quote -- "crack in the system" enabled Curtis, a Level-3 sex offender, to be released from jail without supervision following the September rape arrest.
    http://www.wstm.com/Global/story.asp?S=4229538&nav=2aKD
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew
    District Attorney Donald Williams says a quote -- "crack in the system" enabled Curtis, a Level-3 sex offender, to be released from jail without supervision following the September rape arrest.
    http://www.wstm.com/Global/story.asp?S=4229538&nav=2aKD
    Supervision, my *ss. He should never have been let out on bail!
    You put the light in me...

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    Quote Originally Posted by Alice253
    Supervision, my *ss. He should never have been let out on bail!
    Amen, Alice. Actually, he should never have been out after he hit the woman in the head with a rock.

The man suspected of killing his ex-girlfriend and setting her New Paltz home on fire in November has been indicted for murder and arson.

Michael G. Curtis, 43, of 133 Woodstock Road, Millbrook, was indicted by an Ulster County grand jury for second-degree murder, arson and grand larceny, all felonies.

The fire was discovered by New Paltz Detective David Dugatkin, who had gone to Conroy's apartment after her sister called police to say she was worried about the woman.

Police learned Curtis had been there earlier in the day and that he and Conroy had argued, and a bulletin was issued for his car.

Curtis was picked up in Wappingers Falls about an hour later, before police knew they had a homicide on their hands.

Once in custody, Curtis made statements that led them to Conroy's body, investigators have said.

Curtis is a Level 3 sex offender who was charged in September 2005 with raping Conroy's mother.
    http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...id=71853&rfi=6

I hope she was not still dating him after he raped her mother!

Quote Originally Posted by SewingDeb
    I hope she was not still dating him after he raped her mother!
    The article doesn't spell it out, but indicates that they hadn't been dating for several months.
    Yet, they were seen together arguing that day.

It makes you wonder why he would even go near the family after what he did.

From October 2006:

http://www.recordonline.com/article/...News/610210325

The killer, Michael Curtis, got 20 years to life in state prison yesterday for strangling 29-year-old Robyn Conroy...

The woman who accused him of rape is Ed Conroy's ex-wife, an emotionally frail woman who couldn't say precisely when she was attacked... Prosecutors feared that Robyn's mother wouldn't withstand an intense cross-examination at a preliminary hearing and that a judge would dismiss the rape case outright. So they consented to his being released without bail while they tried to find more evidence.

On Nov. 22, Curtis went to visit Robyn. His lawyer, Holley Carnright, revealed for the first time yesterday that Curtis proposed marriage that day. Instead, he raped Conroy, strangled her and set a fire in the apartment to cover his tracks.