MD MD - Jeryl Singleterry, 26, Edgewood, 21 Nov 2005

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
Authorities said someone abducted an Edgewood father and his family paid a hefty ransom to get him back. But the victim still hasn't turned up.

Baltimore County police issued a statement late Tuesday afternoon identifying the man as Jeryl Anthony Singleterry, 26, of Edgewood.

Police said Singleterry's family made several drop-offs throughout Baltimore County to pay tens of thousands of dollars in ransom Monday night.

According to police, Singleterry was last seen at about 4:45 p.m. on Monday while driving away from his grandmother's house, located on East Hoffman Street in East Baltimore.

Police said the family began to receive strange phone calls at about 6 p.m., announcing the abduction and demanding a ransom.

"A little later, a call came in asking for the family members to drop off some cash, but he was not seen. A little later, another call came in for even more cash," Baltimore County police spokesman Bill Toohey said.
http://www.thewbalchannel.com/news/5386053/detail.html

:waitasec:

My hinky meter is twitching, what do we know about the kidnap victim?

LOL, I know nothing other than the article I just found. But it set my hinky meter off too.

Another article:
Baltimore County Police are searching for a man who may have been kidnapped Monday night. The apparent victim is 26-year-old Jeryl Anthony Singleterry of Edgewood.

The alleged kidnappers asked for a ransom payment which paid by his family, but Singleterry still has not be located.

WJZ.com's Dennis Edwards has learned the family left tens of thousands of dollars as a ransom payment at an undisclosed location in Baltimore County, but have yet to hear any response from the alleged kidnappers or Singleterry.

"A little later that evening a call came in from him to his family, to drop off some money at a location in Baltimore County. That was done. But nothing was heard from Mr. Singleterry. There were a number of other phone calls back and forth, another money drop off, different location in Baltimore County," says Bill Toohey of Baltimore County Police.

Singleterry and a man who may have been his kidnapper were in contact with family members a number of times by phone Monday night, giving instructions on where and how to drop off the ransom money. That included a drop-off at a Baltimore County location. Family members did as they were instructed, but have had no contact with Singleterry, or anyone else, since about 9:00 p.m. Monday.
http://wjz.com/topstories/local_story_326202209.html

Could someone be that diabolical to fake their own kidnapping and extort money from their family? :waitasec:

The second article states that the family talked to him, and also to a second man about the drop offs.
LE is giving out info about his vehicle, his description, and even a tattoo he has. They appear to be taking it pretty seriously.

Well there goes my theory :(

We will learn a lot more about what went on. Iguess the family was sternly warned not to contact police and thats why they cooperated.

Casshew said:
Could someone be that diabolical to fake their own kidnapping and extort money from their family? :waitasec:

That was my first thought too but I'm from this area and I'm thinking it could be drug related. I was surprised to see it said Egewood because that isn't a rich area by no means which is typically what you would expect of a kidnapping for ransom. The flip side could be that someone else is involved in the stagging of a kidnapping to cover up his murder.

strach304 said:
That was my first thought too but I'm from this area and I'm thinking it could be drug related. I was surprised to see it said Egewood because that isn't a rich area by no means which is typically what you would expect of a kidnapping for ransom. The flip side could be that someone else is involved in the stagging of a kidnapping to cover up his murder.

Good theory.
Or it was someone familiar with the family, as the family was able to come up with tens of thousands of dollars for the ransom.

The area he was found in, whitemarsh is very close to Edgewood his residence. He was last seen at his Grandmothers house in East Balto so I'll just explain the locations since I'm from that area and why I think the locations are significant.

Egewood and whitemarsh are in Balto. county in an eastward direction, all of balto county surrounds balto city. There are a quite a few routes you can take through there int.95 and rt 40 being the most common. East Balto. (city) being the last place he was seen then found in whitemarsh is in the exact direction he would've taken to go home to edgewood from his grandmothers house. Whitemarsh is right before edgewood, very close together.

These are all very populated areas day or night so somebody's gonna know how long his vehicle was sitting there. I think there would be people who saw him and who he was with as well.

How sad. Now the family will always wonder if it would have turned out differently if they had contacted LE right away instead of going along with the kidnappers. That would sure be a hard call to make...especially if you can get the money together to pay the ransom. It's like tossing up a coin and calling heads or tails. A big gamble either way.

It's hard enough to lose a family member but I think when it happens around a holiday it makes it even harder if that is possible.

I was puzzled about the calls for multiple ransoms. Wonder if it could be that the kidnapper only planned to pick up one or two of the ransom drops. But asked for the multiple drops in case the family did get LE involved. That way, LE's resources would be severely strained trying to monitor all of the drops.

Several times Monday night, Singleterry and a man who may have been his kidnapper contacted family members and gave them instructions about where to drop off ransom money that amounted to at least $10,000, police said.

The money was picked up that night from an undisclosed location in southeastern Baltimore County. But when Singleterry failed to arrive home or contact his family, relatives reported him missing Tuesday afternoon, police said.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/bal-md.ransom24nov24,1,5802912.story?coll=bal-local-headlines

this isnt far from where i live and i think today i heard that he was dead, they found his body..

michelle said:
this isnt far from where i live and i think today i heard that he was dead, they found his body..

They did find his body, it was found in his van.

Casshew said:
:waitasec:

My hinky meter is twitching, what do we know about the kidnap victim?

Mine's on overdrive....it sounds like something planned with the victim to scam the family.

mysteriew said:
They did find his body, it was found in his van.

Oh no, I take back what I said. This is so sad and right here at the holidays.

SewingDeb said:
Oh no, I take back what I said. This is so sad and right here at the holidays.

When I first found this yesterday, it sounded just bizarre enough to be something that the victim may have set up.
But soon after, I found the article about finding him in the van.
That was actually pretty quick and shows how seriously LE and the media thought it was. The ransom calls began and ended on Mon, family notifed LE on Tues. and on Wed. someone recognized the van from the media reports and called it in. LOL, guess that is why they get paid and I just watch.

That was pretty quick. I hope they find the killer as quickly.

From November 2010:

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2010/11/26/mother-of-2005-fatal-kidnapping-victim-seeks-help/

The kidnapping and murder of Jeryl Singleterry has stumped investigators for five years. Now his heartbroken mother is pleading for justice...

Police found Singeterry’s body inside his minivan on Mcfaul Road in White Marsh... Police never made an arrest.

“We’ve received very little in terms of leads or information in this case,” said Rob McCullough, Baltimore County police.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Countrygirlwv
Back