FL - Five killed, 8 wounded in shooting at Fort Lauderdale Airport, 6 Jan 2017

BetteDavisEyes

Fasten your seatbelts...
Reaction score
***Breaking***

Jan 6 2017, 1:24 pm ET

Gunman Opens Fire at Fort Lauderdale Airport, Killing 1

by Tom Winter and Kerry Sanders

A gunman opened fire Friday afternoon at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport in Florida, shooting at least nine people and killing one, Broward County officials said.

A gunman was in custody, local law enforcement sources told NBC News.

The Fort Lauderdale airport tweeted the incident occurred at a baggage claim inside Terminal 2.

Passengers and workers were evacuated onto a tarmac.

Former White House press secretary Ari Fleischer tweeted he was at the airport at the time of the shooting and "everyone is running." He later tweeted that "all seems calm." ...

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/gunman-opens-fire-fort-lauderdale-airport-killing-1-n704001

DH and I have been at this airport many times (pre- and -post cruise). Very busy all the time. Right now, there would be hundreds of cruise passengers arriving and departing.

I keep hearing the shooter was 'contained.' I wonder what that means and if he is the only one involved?

I just saw a picture on twitter of someone shot, I will not post. It was posted by maxwill solutions, but Warning it is Graphic! Ugg

I just heard the shooter is dead

Reportedly he was shooting OUTSIDE at the baggage counter. That is very worrisome. How do yo prevent shootings that happen BEFORE security lines?

The news is reporting nine shot and the shooter in custody. I was
just thinking about how easy it would be to do something at an airport in
unsecured areas. People are gathered and waiting around. Wth. Horrible.

I'm so sick if this nonsense!!! It's got to stop! CNN is reporting multiple people dead and 9 wounded...

Reportedly he was shooting OUTSIDE at the baggage counter. That is very worrisome. How do yo prevent shootings that happen BEFORE security lines?

You cant. No matter where they create the security line there will always be a group of people waiting to get in.

The shooting occurred at the baggage claim inside Terminal 2. Aerial footage showed a crowd of people gathered outside on the tarmac.
Former White House Press Secretary Ari Fleischer, who was traveling from the airport, tweeted about the incident:
Ari Fleischer ✔ @AriFleischer
I'm at the Ft. Lauderdale Airport. Shots have been fired. Everyone is running.
9:57 AM - 6 Jan 2017 · Dania Beach, FL
http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/...ollywood-International-Airport-409905825.html

You know, I'm thinking back to when my husband used to smoke (thankfully, he quit 2 years ago). When we traveled and got off the plane, the first thing he wanted was a cigarette. He would go outside to have a one and then walk back in to get the bags. He just walked in.....no one checked that he was actually a passenger getting his bag.

That is terrible. three dead---:rose: :rose: :rose:

People are sitting ducks right outside the airport, waiting to check their luggage.

Yes they are, why are they not being surrounded by LE.

This report says that the shooter is in custody, there are multiple people dead and at least nine injured. [video=cnn;us/2017/01/06/fort-lauderdale-airport-possible-shots-fired.cnn]http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/06/us/fort-lauderdale-airport-incident/index.html[/video]

3 dead, 9 wounded ? is this gonna end up being terrorism ? When I first heard about this, I thought it was a domestic situation. The numbers kinda disprove that. Could be workplace violence I guess.

Yes they are, why are they not being surrounded by LE.

I don't think there are enough officers to surround every group of people waiting in lines. If there were armed officers at the baggage claim a shooter could just walk into the terminal and pick people off as they stood in line to go through TSA. Which someone did at LAX previously.
If that area was surrounded by LE then they could pick people off in their cars as they line up to go in and out. Or they could get people at a famer's market. Or the beach. Or movies at the park which we have here in CA a lot. Or a little league game. Or a traffic jam in a freeway which causes people to be sitting ducks.
There are far too many places where crowds assemble that can't be policed.

fnc_logo.jpg

5 dead now according to Shep Smith on Fox News national.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmmm_soup
Back