FL - Teen groom can't go home to grandmom, Gainesville

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
The 15-year-old Gainesville boy who married his pregnant, 37-year-old sweetheart earlier this month and was arrested afterward won't be going home with his grandmother, a Hall County Juvenile Court judge ruled Wednesday.

Instead, the unidentified youth, who married Lisa Lynnette Clark of Gainesville, will remain in juvenile custody until another family member takes legal custody of the boy.

Juvenile Court Judge Mary Carden declared the youth delinquent after he admitted violating the conditions of his probation, which stemmed from a burglary this year.

She also told him he had a last chance to abide by his probation — another violation, the judge warned, and the boy would be sent to a juvenile facility.
http://www.ajc.com/news/content/metro/1105/24metteenwed.html

The judge in the probation violation hearing of a 15-year-old Gainesville boy who married a woman more than twice his age said the boy was "delinquent" and "deprived."

Juvenile Court Judge Mary Carden closed the hearing after reading probation violation charges to the juvenile, whom she referred to as "Mr. A.G."

Carden said because deprivation issues needed to be discussed the delinquency hearing had to be closed under Georgia law.

Carden later ordered that the teenager could live under the care of a relative other than his grandmother, Judy Hayles.

Because the marriage emancipates the boy from any guardian, his next representative would usually be his new wife, assistant district attorney David West said.

Clark was released from jail Friday after bond was posted. Under the conditions of her release, she is not allowed to contact her husband or come within 100 yards of him.

Carden said that the boy is a "deprived child," or one without a custodian.
http://www.gainesvilletimes.com/news/stories/20051124/localnews/40980.shtml

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/georgia/news-article.aspx?storyid=47941

Because the marriage emancipates the boy from any guardian, his next representative would usually be his new wife, assistant district attorney David West said.

Clark was released from jail Friday after bond was posted. Under the conditions of her release, she is not allowed to contact her husband or come within 100 yards of him.

Talk about a legal mess!

This case is likely to end with teen husband and not-so-teen wife reunited after both serve their probation. And that's probably how it should be, if that's their mutal wish after all's said and done.

I guess lawmakers didn't anticipate this situation when writing laws. There are laws butting heads here.

The laws need to be changed. Otherwise the next man who rapes a 10 year old will try to get her pregnant, that way he can ask her to marry him if he gets caught. :eek:

LovelyPigeon said:
And that's probably how it should be, if that's their mutal wish after all's said and done.

IMO, it can't be a mutual wish... she's a child molester. He's a child and cannot consent. For some reason, it seems like people look at these cases differently when it's a female who is the predator. Turn it around - a 37 year old man and a 15 year old girl. Just because she took advantage of a loophole doesn't mean they should be able to continue.

JMO.

At 15 he could consent to be married. And they are now legally married. He is husband, she is wife.

A married, emancipated 15-year-old would be tried as an adult for committing a serious crime. Heck, an unmarried, unemancipated 15-year-old, whether male or female, would be tried as an adult. In matters of sexuality, though, he is being legally "tried" as a minor.

Like I said, laws are butting heads in this situation. Life can be a lot more complicated than lawmakers anticipate.

LovelyPigeon said:
At 15 he could consent to be married. And they are now legally married. He is husband, she is wife.

A married, emancipated 15-year-old would be tried as an adult for committing a serious crime. Heck, an unmarried, unemancipated 15-year-old, whether male or female, would be tried as an adult. In matters of sexuality, though, he is being legally "tried" as a minor.

Like I said, laws are butting heads in this situation. Life can be a lot more complicated than lawmakers anticipate.
I thought he was being "tried" for burglary and truancy -- lovely parents for the baby, a sex offender and a burglar. However, I'm totally in agreement with you, LP, (yay!) about how this couple should have the same right to decide how to proceed with their relationship as any legally married couple has.

From what I read in the links, the situation is, is that as a married minor, he has been emanicipated from his legal guardian- his grandmother. In effect his guardianshop has actually changed to his wife. However, the wife has been ordered by the court not to contact him, which makes her unavailable to him as a minor child. So they are looking at appointing a new guardian for him. Totally un-understandable. Since the law looks at her as his guardian now, could she be sued for child support for him?

LovelyPigeon said:

At 15 he could NOT consent to be married in GA. The only reason they were allowed to marry is b/c of the "baby clause" that nullifies the age of consent. If the bride is pregnant - yes, even if she is a 37 year old child molester - then the age of consent is waived.

Yes, a 15 year old who committed a murder might possibly be tried as an adult, but one who stole a car or something similar to the things he has actually done would probably not be. They raise Cain here when a 17 year old killer is tried in adult court!

If the situation were reversed, and this were a 37 year old man who had seduced and molested his daughter's 14 or 15 year old friend and impregnated her, he would be UNDER the jail!!! There is no way people would be making jokes like, "No fair! None of my friends' parents looked like that!" and saying it is no big deal.

No one is ever going to take this type of sexual abuse seriously if the punishment is inconsistent and taken lightly.

Angelmom, no one is trying to slight Ga (at least I don't think so, LOL). But that baby clause in the law, does present problems in a child molestation case. It happened in another state where an older guy got a 14 year old girl pregnant, and when it looked like he might be charged with the crime, he took the girl to another state which had a baby clause. There was controversy because the DA, continued with the charges against him. I agree that the law does cause problems with the molestation laws and probably needs to be looked at more closely. Of course I don't believe any 14 or 15 year old should be permitted to get married, IMO. But Ga is not the only state where this problem has come up. But any molester, whether male or female, should not be permitted to get out of the situation by saying okay, I will marry the kid.

A 37-year-old woman who married a 15-year-old boy was indicted by a Hall County grand jury Tuesday on charges of child molestation, statutory rape and enticing a child for indecent purposes.

Lisa Lynette Clark, who is pregnant with the teenager's child, was arrested earlier this month after their Nov. 8 wedding in neighboring Dawson County and released on bond Nov. 18 on child molestation charges.

She was scheduled to appear Wednesday before a magistrate for a preliminary hearing, but District Attorney Lee Darragh said that the indictment meant that hearing would not be held.

"The next step in the criminal process will be a formal arraignment in Superior Court," the prosecutor said. He did not indicate when that arraignment would be.
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/ledgerenquirer/13287503.htm

I woul hardly called the 37 year old woman who got pregnant by the 15 year old his "sweet-heart". That's the problem with cases like this. Female child predators are not viewed seriously--unless they're really ugly or old.

BillyGoatGruff said:
I woul hardly called the 37 year old woman who got pregnant by the 15 year old his "sweet-heart". That's the problem with cases like this. Female child predators are not viewed seriously--unless they're really ugly or old.

She says she hasn't even talked to him.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/02/02/child.groom.ap/index.html

ATLANTA, Georgia (AP) -- A 15-year-old boy whose 37-year-old wife is due to give birth to the couple's baby this month has run away from a group home, prompting the boy's grandmother to speculate that the wife was involved in the disappearance.

The wife, Lisa Clark, who is due to give birth February 20, did not play a role in the boy's disappearance last Friday, said her attorney, Daniel Sammons.

The wife was "surprised and concerned," Sammons said. "She has no knowledge of his whereabouts."

The boy's grandmother, Judy Hayles, believes the wife was involved. "I think she's got him hidden out someplace," she said, adding that the boy told his roommate that someone was picking him up and he left without shoes, a jacket or money.

~more at link~

When she goes into labor, he'll likely show up.
I do feel sorry for his family. They have lost any control they may have had over him, and now he is in the system.

I'm seriously torn over this case. This probably won't come out right, but what good is it going to do to give his kid a criminal record over this? I don't think they should get married either (why make two mistakes instead of one), but he's going to have to support the baby and having a criminal record certainly isn't going to help him get an education or a job at some point. Can't they intervene with some counselling, some community service and some classes on how to raise a child? I'm all for prosecuting the woman, but seriously what good will criminal charges do for this kid?

My personal view would be a termination by the state of paternal rights & providing the innocent baby a decent upbringing by other than a pedaphile & a child, however reality will probably not bring about that outcome.

Unfortunately, we as a society, still do not recognize quality of life as being important enough to the protect the innocent. Their lives are allowed to be infected by the criminally & mentally deficient. JMHO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JerseyLizard
Back