1601 users online (349 members and 1252 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by stx722 View Post
    I think we are both driving at the same point, just from different directions. You have summed it up perfectly, and stated it better than I was able to.
    I also think your point about putting CO$ in perspective is dead-on. In short, I think we're on the same page.
    Got it. Sorry I was so dense.

I hope it's clear that I'm not knocking Remini's show for not being about "everything". I realize they have 42 minutes per week and are devoting their time to the testimony of formerly high-ranking members who are now apostates.

As CherCher points out, although the Amish may shun wayward children (something I personally find reprehensible), they don't hire PIs to harass those children later. Putting Scientology in a context with other groups would help to highlight Scientology's excesses while simultaneously raising questions about "blind" religious faith and its consequences.

But no show can do everything. Comparisons in my last paragraph can be left for another program (and are, in fact, available in books and documentaries already).

^^^ Sorry to reply to my own post, but I want to add that everything I've seen on Remini's show was available in print when I studied "New Religious Movements" in a sociology class 35 years ago. Some of it was only available in scholarly text books that wouldn't appeal to the general public, but it was out there. It was even rumored then that LRH was dead on his yacht and the Co$ was ruled by others in LRH's name. (It seems that was not yet true in 1982. LRH had smuggled himself into Florida, if reports from Co$ members are to be believed.)

The exception is the rise of Miscavage and his consolidation of power. I'd really like to hear how he did that, but not even the episode with his name in the title really explained it.

I do wish they would have gone more in depth about how Miscavige rose to power. But I wonder really if they even really know. It seems almost as if he excelled and per the policies of the org. he was then whisked off to continue his education and became privy to LRH and the inner circle. So who knows what went on? Probably a very small group of people really have that information.
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

ticya, there's a link in another thread to Mike Binder's blog. (I'm sorry. I'm lost in these threads and, as you have seen, have trouble remembering the topic of each one.) It explains in tedious detail the events surrounding DM's ascension.

Long story short: the FBI raid on Co$ facilities in the late 1970s and the imprisonment of LRH's wife (I don't know for what) had the entire church hierarchy on edge and LRH, in particular, in a state of panic. LRH was only communicating through a very few "Messengers" and David Miscavige took advantage of the power vacuum to grab control. LRH died a few years later, making room for a new leader. As the writer describes it, Co$ members smiled all the time (we've heard Remini say the same thing) so DM's sudden outbursts, even well before he took control, were very intimidating to the others.

If you read it, get ready for a tidal wave of acronyms!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2