GUILTY MD - Alexander Stevens, 24, found dead, Frostburg, 4 Jan 2017

Jesikah1

Reaction score
Is anyone else following this case?

Man Found Dead in Woods Was Booted From Coast Guard Academy

A man whose death in the western Maryland woods is being investigated by homicide detectives was a former U.S. Coast Guard cadet who was booted from the academy in 2014 following a sexual-assault investigation, authorities said Thursday.

Following the disciplinary action, Alexander Stevens went home to Frostburg and enrolled at Frostburg State University, university spokeswoman Elizabeth Medcalf said. He attended last fall, majoring in engineering, but had not enrolled for the spring semester, she said.

His body, showing signs of undisclosed trauma, was found Wednesday morning on a mountain logging road that leads to a high, rocky overlook in the Savage River State Forest, about 140 miles west of Baltimore.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2017/01/05/us/ap-us-state-forest-death-.html

Reactions: JRW
Here is a follow up article:

911 Recordings: Man Found Dead in Maryland Woods Was Naked

FROSTBURG, Md. — A young man whose mysterious death in the western Maryland woods is being investigated by homicide detectives was naked when searchers spotted his body on a remote logging road, according to emergency services recordings obtained Friday by The Associated Press.

A female companion who had walked out of the woods with hypothermia and broken into a home to call 911 told emergency workers where to find the body, according to the recordings. She told emergency workers that Alexander Stevens, 24, of Frostburg, had fallen off a cliff and was naked, the recordings show.

In one of the transmissions released by Allegany County officials, a Maryland State Police helicopter crew member says he's "got a visual on a subject, unclothed."

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2017/01/06/us/ap-us-state-forest-death.html

UPDATE: Woman found in Garrett County woods is still in the hospital

Updated 01/13 2017 05:38PM

http://www.your4state.com/news/mary...woman-being-treated-for-hypothermia/635822881

They said she is cooperating with police and told detectives that the two were in a relationship.

Approximately two miles from where Stevens's body was found dead, officers located two cars, which they said belonged to Stevens and the female in question.

The couple was last seen around 5 p.m. on Tuesday. Around 9 a.m. on Wednesday, police said the woman walked out of the woods alone, ran to a nearby house and the resident call 911.

It was not long after the call that troopers found Stevens' body during an aerial search. He was found on the 2,600-block of Pine Swamp Road in Burton, according to authorities.

bbm

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/260...de735491c59525!2m2!1d-79.0966666!2d39.5444444

The 20-year-old woman told emergency workers that she and Stevens had made a nighttime visit to High Rock, a rocky outcropping with scenic views accessible by a logging road and hiking trail.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/911-recordings-man-found-dead-maryland-woods-was-naked

bbm
https://www.google.com/maps/place/2...1c4e8538f01bec!8m2!3d39.5450846!4d-79.1131743

Not sure what to think. ????? Drinking? Something/someone spooked them?

Actual Temp
52° /30°
http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/frederick-md/21701/january-weather/329303

Stevens was found dead next to a swamp on private property

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-forest-reported-missing-woman-survived.html

Irrational behavior - Paradoxical Undressing - person starts to take off clothing, unaware s/he is cold

https://www.princeton.edu/~oa/safety/hypocold.shtml

Sad story

It is very sad. I too thought hypothermia when they expressed that he was naked. I am just confused by the insinuations of something less straight forward in some of the articles. Perhaps that is SOP with someone who is so young...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am Alex Stevens' father. If anyone has any information or any ideas to help the Maryland State Police in the investigation of his homicide - please contact them. Simply posting thoughts to this website is not helpful to this case. Please bear in mind that most of the information about this case is not available to the public and that most of the ideas expressed are only speculations. I can see how a site like this can help with missing persons. Always remember that everyone involved in fatal tragedies have families. Please be very careful in what you write. Misinformation is not helpful. Families experiencing grief must be respected. Everyone has the right to express themselves. But while we have that right,it is also not right to abuse it in hurtful ways.

Mr. Stevens i am so sorry for your loss.

I am Alex Stevens' father. If anyone has any information or any ideas to help the Maryland State Police in the investigation of his homicide - please contact them. Simply posting thoughts to this website is not helpful to this case. Please bear in mind that most of the information about this case is not available to the public and that most of the ideas expressed are only speculations. I can see how a site like this can help with missing persons. Always remember that everyone involved in fatal tragedies have families. Please be very careful in what you write. Misinformation is not helpful. Families experiencing grief must be respected. Everyone has the right to express themselves. But while we have that right,it is also not right to abuse it in hurtful ways.

I, too, am so sorry that your son is gone, Mr Stevens. He sounds like he was a deep, remarkable, and complicated guy. 24 is far too young to leave. I hope you and your family find peace and ways to celebrate your son's unique contributions to this life. Often, this can be a place where people find support and comfort, and I am so sorry that the speculation has felt hurtful.

http://www.times-news.com/news/loca...gn=blox&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

Her lawyer is trying to suppress evidence because she claims she wasn't allowed to see her parents
[FONT=&quot]“I was extremely hypothermic,” Shaffer said on Monday of her injuries during the visit to the emergency room. “I was not able to move.”
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]She said when she got to the hospital, medical staff told her that her father was there, but she could not speak to him until she talked to police.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Megan Shaffer responded to his questions with “clear, concise” answers, he said. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]C3I investigator Eric Schramm of the Maryland State Police said he was also at that interview. At the time, he talked to a physician who told him Shaffer had undergone a CAT scan that showed she had no head or brain injuries, her body temperature was normal and pain medication she’d been given in the ambulance had left her system. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The interview was recorded and nobody was confrontational. Schramm said.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]He said he didn’t recall Megan Shaffer asking to see her family and would not have objected to such a request.[/FONT]

Jury selection starts on March 13.

I'm still left feeling so puzzled by this one! Very interested to see what details emerge if she does proceed to trial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[h=2]Alexander's Story[/h]
Text size
A A A
Alexander Arthur Stevens, 24, of Frostburg, passed away Wednesday, Jan. 4, 2017.
Born March 23, 1992, in Cumberland, to Jay and Janet (Martens) Stevens.
He was preceded in death by his maternal grandfather, Carl Edward Martens and paternal grandparents, Arthur and Kathryn Stevens.
He is survived by his parents, Jay and Janet Stevens, Eckhart Mines; a twin sister, Tristan Virginia Stevens, Baltimore; maternal grandmother, Nancy (Baker) Martens, Frostburg; aunts, Julie Forney and husband, John, Millersburg, Pa. and Joanna Schroyer, Grantsville; uncles, Jim Martens and wife, Carolin, Uniontown, Ohio and Jerry Martens and wife, Bonnie, Springfield, Ohio; cousins, Levi and Ben Schroyer, Jonathan Martens, and Samantha, Josh and Clay Martens; special great-aunt and uncle were the late Virginia (Wonn) Stevens and Clarence Buddy Stevens.
Alex was a native of the Frostburg area, attended Beall High School and graduated from Mountain Ridge High School. In high school, Alex was active in plays and musicals having a fine baritone voice and was a member of the Concert Choir. He was the Pirate King in the Pirates of Penzance and played Sky Masterson in Guys and Dolls. He was in Concert Band, Jazz Orchestra, and Marching Band all four years of high school.
He was an accomplished visual artist.
Alex participated in football, basketball, cross country and track at Mountain Ridge. He attended Cambridge University summer program for high school students in England. The Farrady Post 24 American Legion selected Alex as one of their representatives to Maryland Boys State. While in high school he enjoyed Boy Scouts and was Senior Patrol Leader achieving the rank of Eagle Scout. He gave the Senior Address at his high school graduation.
He studied engineering at the Coast Guard Academy in New London, Conn., and later at Frostburg State University.
Alex was a world traveler. Among the countries he visited were Britain, France, Germany, Denmark, The Netherlands, Spain, Ireland, Canada, and South Korea.
He loved the outdoors and camping. He appreciated beauty in all things including music, the visual arts, and nature. He loved to stargaze, rock climb and hike. He had a great sense of humor and loved animals.
Family and friends will be received at Durst Funeral Home, Frostburg, on Friday Jan. 13, 2017, from 3 to 7 p.m.
A funeral service will be held at Frostburg United Methodist Church, on Saturday, Jan, 14, 2017, at 11 a.m. with the Rev. Kyle Durbin officiating.
Interment will follow in Eckhart Cemetery.
Pallbearers will be Tristan Stevens, Jonathan Martens, Joshua Martens, Clay Martens, Steven Moon, Michael Harden, and Eric Harman.
In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations be made to the Frostburg United Methodist Church or the Allegany County Animal Shelter.
Words of comfort may be sent to the family following the obituary at www.durstfuneralhome.com.

Published on January 10, 2017

Trial started today.

The one thing I don’t understand is the friend climbing the fire tower in the middle of the night.

I’ve climbed that fire tower. The rail is very narrow and it would be dangerous to climb at night. Also an iPhone flashlight doesn’t have a collimated beam — meaning it doesn’t ultimate anything at a distance. No way could he hope to climb higher and look down given it was dark.

Does anyone know what the moon was like that night ? Though they said it was foggy, so the moon may not have been much help.

http://www.times-news.com/news/loca...cle_4fdb0956-270a-11e8-8482-ebc432373091.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back