Found Deceased Australia - Bernard Gore, 71, Woollahra, NSW, 5 Jan 2017

Bohemian

Reaction score
Concerns for Tasmanian man with dementia missing for days in Sydney
TUE JAN 10 14:18:53 EST 2017

attachment.php

PHOTO Bernard Gore has been missing for several days.
SUPPLIED: NSW POLICE FORCE

'New South Wales police say they are concerned for the welfare of a Tasmanian man who has been missing in Sydney for the past four days.

Bernard Gore, 71, set out on foot from Woollahra to meet his wife and daughter at Bondi Junction on Friday afternoon, but has not been heard from since.

"Police have extreme concerns for his welfare," said Inspector Lindsay McDonald.

"Mr Gore suffers from dementia and has not taken any medication since he went missing."

Inspector McDonald said police did not know which direction Mr Gore actually headed when leaving Woollahra.

Mr Gore's son Mark said the family was overwhelmed with worry.

"We're just overwhelmed, we thought he would have turned up by now," he said.

"We're just realising the enormity of trying to find anyone in Sydney."

Tracking device left at home

Mr Gore said his father had recently gone missing in Tasmania.

"A couple of months ago, probably a little bit longer, same scenario — he was out shopping with mum and mum arranged to meet him," he said.

"Again he went missing, but we had him back within six hours."

Mr Gore said his father would be fine if approached, but then thought how his father would cope being out on the streets for four nights.

"I don't know whether he'd be fine now. I hope he is," he said.

"We put in place things to make it easier to find him — he had a tracker that he was sort wearing all the time ... but he didn't take it.

"For him to be out on his own, he's got nowhere to sleep — it's not great."'

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-...h-dementia-missing-for-days-in-sydney/8172564

Son of missing Hobart man Bernard Gore asks for public help to find his 71-year-old dad in Sydney
e4de13e94b166715dffd66e8cc6f41a1

Shaya Laughlin, Wentworth Courier
January 10, 2017 5:03pm

e4de13e94b166715dffd66e8cc6f41a1

'THE son of a Hobart man who has been missing from Woollahra for four days has made a plea for help to find him.

Bernard Gore, who has dementia, was last seen leaving a unit block on Ocean St about 12.30pm on Friday.

The 71-year-old was supposed to meet his wife and daughter.'

'Mr Gore said his father, a former barber of 50 years, usually kept to himself but urged people to approach him.'

'“Just approach him and say ‘look, do you need help’ and if he does say no, just make sure that you contact the police.

“He would be very confused at the moment, it’s hard to know, but he would still talk and he would still be friendly."

Mr Gore said his father only had about $30, a drivers’ license, an Opal card and emergency contact details on him.

However, police said his Opal card hadn’t been used since December 31.

Inspector Lindsay McDonald said they were checking CCTV and transport networks for any signs of Mr Gore.

“Police have extreme concerns for his welfare,” he said.

Mr Gore is described as being of caucasian appearance, about 180cm tall, of slim build, with grey balding hair, clean shaven and may respond to the name ‘Butch’.

He was last seen wearing a grey turtleneck skivvy underneath a black and red chequered flannelette shirt, grey trousers with two black stripes down the legs, white sneakers and a cream ‘panama’ hat with a black ribbon.'

Anyone who knows of Mr Gore’s whereabouts is urged to contact Crime Stoppers immediately.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...y/news-story/e4de13e94b166715dffd66e8cc6f41a1

http://www.examiner.com.au/story/4396108/nsw-police-search-for-missing-tasmanian/

He was last seen wearing a grey turtle-neck skivvy underneath a black-and-red checkered flannelette shirt, grey trousers with two black stripes down the legs, white sneakers and a cream Panama-style hat with a black ribbon.

Police received an unconfirmed sighting of Mr Gore in the East Hills Park area on Friday afternoon.

Anyone who has any information on Mr Gore’s whereabouts is urged to contact Crime Stoppers immediately on 1800 333 000.

I was watching TEN Eyewitness News at 5 this afternoon and they reported a police search of Sydney's Centennial Parklands (including vision). Apparently Mr Gore was reported as visiting the parklands daily this week. Unfortunately, the search was unsuccessful. I can't find a link to the story.

I was doing a search of the area & I thought Centenial Park.

From the map it looks like a shortcut across Syd Einfeld Drive & easy an mistake to make.

I can't upload screenshots/photos at the moment. Grrrr

I was doing a search of the area & I thought Centenial Park.

From the map it looks like a shortcut across Syd Einfeld Drive & easy an mistake to make.

I can't upload screenshots/photos at the moment. Grrrr

Thanks for searching tgy. I'm at Bondi Junction tomorrow so I will keep my eyes peeled and ask people I know if they've seen Mr Gore or can think of somewhere he may be.

The only places I can think of other than Centennial Park are the entertainment/sporting precincts around Fox Studios/SCG/Moore Park. There's also Sydney Girls/Boys(?) High Schools and the UNSW campus that would be fairly deserted at this time of year as well as Royal Randwick.

I wonder if he has bunked down with one or more homeless people in the area? I'll ask the people I speak to and drop into the Church in the Marketplace tomorrow and show them his photo.

Also if they've checked the airport(s) and Eastgate, although they'd both be bristling with CCTV. Lord, he could be anywhere. He wouldn't need his Opal card to ride the buses in a lot of cases as the drivers really don't enforce 'fare evasion'. That's the responsibility of the Inspectors and they are few and far between.

I worry about him in this heat and dressed the way he is, especially yesterday. I pray Mr Gore hasn't/won't come to any grief before he's found.

NSW Police step up hunt for missing Hobart man Bernard Gore
LORETTA LOHBERGER, Mercury
January 13, 2017 9:00am

'POLICE are again appealing for information about a Hobart man missing in Sydney since last Friday.

A NSW Police spokeswoman said there had been a “good response” from the public as police searched for Bernard Gore, 71, who was staying with his daughter in Sydney’s east.

“Inquiries are still continuing as we investigate a number of reported sightings, and this includes the review of security camera footage from a number of locations around Sydney,” the spokeswoman said.

"We’re reminding the public that he’s not considered dangerous either to himself or others and we’re encouraging people to approach him and ask him if he’s OK."

“Due to his age, medical history and the weather we’ve been having in Sydney, we do have concerns for him.”'

Thanks for searching tgy. I'm at Bondi Junction tomorrow so I will keep my eyes peeled and ask people I know if they've seen Mr Gore or can think of somewhere he may be.

The only places I can think of other than Centennial Park are the entertainment/sporting precincts around Fox Studios/SCG/Moore Park. There's also Sydney Girls/Boys(?) High Schools and the UNSW campus that would be fairly deserted at this time of year as well as Royal Randwick.

I wonder if he has bunked down with one or more homeless people in the area? I'll ask the people I speak to and drop into the Church in the Marketplace tomorrow and show them his photo.

Also if they've checked the airport(s) and Eastgate, although they'd both be bristling with CCTV. Lord, he could be anywhere. He wouldn't need his Opal card to ride the buses in a lot of cases as the drivers really don't enforce 'fare evasion'. That's the responsibility of the Inspectors and they are few and far between.

I worry about him in this heat and dressed the way he is, especially yesterday. I pray Mr Gore hasn't/won't come to any grief before he's found.

Just an update on my own on-the-ground sleuthing. I let the staff at The Church on the Marketplace know that Mr Gore was missing as well as a few other Bondi locals I know.

A couple of the men I know, who live on the streets, said they were pretty sure they'd seen him around and one thought they had seen him at Bondi Beach one evening. He said he would pass this information on to police in the area as he sees and talks to them every day. The police in the area are known to keep an eye on the welfare of those that regularly 'sleep rough'.

As for me, I had a look around Bondi Junction, Waverley, Woollahra, Centennial Park and Paddo for Mr Gore, but to no avail. There are a lot of elderly people in the Eastern Suburbs and if he's found a change of clothes it would've been like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Well done Boho. You are a champ.
What a nightmare this family must be having.

On the map it may look like a walkable distance but it is not especially for a gent of his age and issues.

The area around Oxford Street Paddo are mixed with wealthy and destitute but rest assured the majority have hearts of gold and hopefully helping each other & sharing what they have.

The problem is he needs his medications.

I still Sometimes wear my rose coloured glasses.

Well done Boho. You are a champ.
What a nightmare this family must be having.

On the map it may look like a walkable distance but it is not especially for a gent of his age and issues.

The area around Oxford Street Paddo are mixed with wealthy and destitute but rest assured the majority have hearts of gold and hopefully helping each other & sharing what they have.

The problem is he needs his medications.

I still Sometimes wear my rose coloured glasses.

I really feel for his family tgy - they must be beside themselves.

I think Mr Gore, being a farmer all of his life like many of the elders in my own family, would be a pretty resilient, resourceful and physically healthy individual so he's probably quite mobile. His only medical issues seem to be related to his dementia.

It wouldn't surprise me if he has suddenly balked at taking his medication and being tracked everywhere he goes and has decided to go walkabout for a while. It must be difficult to suddenly be dependent upon the very people he worked so hard to provide for.

The main things that worry me about his disappearance are that he is vulnerable to being preyed upon by violent offenders and that depression can be co-morbid with dementia.

You're absolutely right about many of the residents of the area, from what I know. There's still quite a few 'eccentrics' around the traps who wouldn't think twice about taking in a confused elderly gentleman.

I'm off over to the Junction again tomorrow so I'll take another look around as well as catching up with the locals I spoke to on Thursday last.

Just an aside, it surprised me that I didn't see any 'Missing' paste-ups for Mr Gore around Bondi Junction. If I were his family, that's the first thing I'd do. Surprisingly, the staff at The Church on The Marketplace didn't know he was missing either. Wondering now if staff at the Wayside Chapel and/or Mission on the Streets and the like have been notified.

I really feel for his family tgy - they must be beside themselves.

I think Mr Gore, being a farmer all of his life like many of the elders in my own family, would be a pretty resilient, resourceful and physically healthy individual so he's probably quite mobile.

Just an aside, it surprised me that I didn't see any 'Missing' paste-ups for Mr Gore around Bondi Junction. If I were his family, that's the first thing I'd do. Surprisingly, the staff at The Church on The Marketplace didn't know he was missing either. Wondering now if staff at the Wayside Chapel and/or Mission on the Streets and the like have been notified.

RB&SBM

This IS surprising that there was nothing posted around especially if there has been sightings. That's crazy!

My aged father was always resourceful, a bushy in his younger years and had his own business for many but he'd be absolutely overwhelmed if he was lost in the city...on his own, with nothing! Im sure he'd die of fear. If Mr Gore came from a sleepy area in Tasmania I'm thinking he might be the same.

The only benevolent place I know of is the Wayside Chapple and I've also heard John Singleton advertising free lunch at 'The loaves and fishes' run by the Exodus Foundation in Ashfield.

http://www.news.com.au/national/bre...s/news-story/698d7cc3561efe0145247ffd1b378fee

RB&SBM

This IS surprising that there was nothing posted around especially if there has been sightings. That's crazy!

My aged father was always resourceful, a bushy in his younger years and had his own business for many but he'd be absolutely overwhelmed if he was lost in the city...on his own, with nothing! Im sure he'd die of fear. If Mr Gore came from a sleepy area in Tasmania I'm thinking he might be the same.

The only benevolent place I know of is the Wayside Chapple and I've also heard John Singleton advertising free lunch at 'The loaves and fishes' run by the Exodus Foundation in Ashfield.

http://www.news.com.au/national/bre...s/news-story/698d7cc3561efe0145247ffd1b378fee

You may be right about Mr Gore feeling overwhelmed whilst he is lost in Sydney. It all depends on his personality and attitude. I want to be optimistic because I know how tough farmers (and their descendants :) ) can be.

The receptionist at The Church on The Marketplace suggested the Wayside Chapel as a possible lead but I didn't have time to go there last week. Hopefully, I will get an opportunity either today or Thursday. Another couple of very hot days in Sydney today and tomorrow. Worrying.

He went missing for 6 hours previously, what was he doing when he was found?
He might have been enjoying himself.
Maybe he's happier where he is now and doesn't want to be found.
Ya never know.
Just a thought.

He went missing for 6 hours previously, what was he doing when he was found?
He might have been enjoying himself.
Maybe he's happier where he is now and doesn't want to be found.
Ya never know.
Just a thought.

Yes, I wonder if Mr Gore went missing due to his illness or because he wanted to. It's hard to know with dementia sufferers. They can have lucid periods and the next thing you know they're confused. My sister-in-law's Mum has Alzheimer's and it's a very unpredictable disease at times.

That could well be the case, tgy. Mr Gore may well have gone off on an adventure. He's been to Sydney on previous occasions as his daughter lives here (at the Woollahra address). My only concern is that he could be the victim of misadventure. I hope his family get some answers sooner rather than later.

i caught public transport to, and from, Bondi Junction yesterday so I wasn't able to go up to The Wayside Chapel for a nose around. I want to visit in person, rather than call or send an email.

What struck me yesterday whilst waiting for a bus home was that the Bondi Junction Interchange would give Mr Gore access to just about anywhere in Sydney and to the Central and South Coasts as well as The Blue Mountains and beyond via train and/or bus.

If he's changed his clothes, there would be Buckley's of me spotting him. I'll continue to look for him and ask around Bondi to see if he's been seen but at this stage it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack searching on my own.

Police concerns 'escalate' over missing man Bernard Gore despite possible sightings
BY ELISE FANTIN
SAT JAN 21 14:53:49 EST 2017

'Despite reports of possible sightings of a missing Tasmanian man, New South Wales police say they have not been able to find him and concerns are "escalating".'

'Despite reports of possible sightings of a missing Tasmanian man, New South Wales police say they have not been able to find him and concerns are "escalating".

Bernard Gore, 71, set out on foot from Woollahra to meet his wife and daughter at Bondi Junction on January 6, but has not been heard from since.

Mr Gore has dementia and is without medication.

Police and Mr Gore's son, Mark, appealed for information on his whereabouts earlier this month.

Inspector Craig Hewlett said police had received a number of calls since.

"These have been investigated at this time with no success and we are continuing our inquiries to try to locate Mr Gore," he said.

"In all likelihood he's probably still in the Sydney area, whereabouts we don't know unfortunately."

'Inspector Hewlett said Mr Gore might not be aware of his surroundings and it was believed he had limited money for food and water.

"Obviously the concerns are escalating as time goes on with both Mr Gore's age, his health and also the heat we've had in Sydney.

"We will keep following up every bit of information we get."

Inspector Hewlett said it was possible Mr Gore's appearance had become dishevelled.'

Glad to see these popping up around Bondi Junction. Taken today on the corner of Oxford and Newland Streets:

attachment.php

(Sorry, no idea why it uploaded sideways)

Ten News Sydney just broadcast a report that 'a body has been found at Bondi Junction that is believed to be that of a man who went missing earlier this month'.

Body found at Westfield Bondi Junction, believed to be missing man Bernard Gore
Published: 27 January 2017

'Authorities have established a crime scene after a body, believed to be Bernard Gore who went missing from Woollahra on January 6, was discovered inside Westfield shopping centre at Bondi Junction, in Sydney’s east.'

'Initial reports suggest the body was found in a corridor opposite the Louis Vuitton store on level four. But it has since been revealed that it was discovered inside a stairwell.'

BBM.

I didn't even think to check the stairs. Louis Vuitton is on Level 4. I walked past that store numerous times during the past few weeks. All the time poor Mr Gore must've been lying there. I am shattered.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back