838 users online (107 members and 731 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

The Grand Jury

It has been the thoughts of some here that the GJ in the Ramsey case was used to test opinion and the political/legal waters with respect to protecting the Boulder bureaucracy.

On 10/13/1999, the Boulder grand jury wrapped up a 13-month inquiry during which it had examined 30,000 pages of testimony and evidence, bringing the $2 million investigation to an *inconclusive* finish.

Since it has been so long ago that we discussed the GJ, let's go back and remember what we used to know about it.

Well.. I do remember that Kane almost didnt let Lou Smit testify. But after he did, I honestly believe that he saved from John and Patsy being arrested for murdering JonBenet.

What else does everyone remember?
    http://www.lousmit.com
    http://www.hometown.aol.com/summergirls0323/jonbenetramseypageindex.html

Quote Originally Posted by Summergirl
    Well.. I do remember that Kane almost didnt let Lou Smit testify. But after he did, I honestly believe that he saved from John and Patsy being arrested for murdering JonBenet.

What else does everyone remember?
    How did LS do this?

He pleaded to Alex Hunter and Kane to show his intruder evidence.. and finally, gave in and he was allowed to show the grand jury.

Jeffrey Shapiro turned in the editors of the Globe to the FBI for conspiring to blackmail a police detective for sealed grand jury evidence.

There is so little that we actually know about the proceedings that it is difficult to discuss, but I was in hopes that we could start by listing out who was called before the GJ. Also, does anyone find it odd that John/Patsy themselves were not questioned?

I dont understand why they werent questioned.. I guess there are some things we will never know!

I guess Lou Smit showed enough evidence to the Grand Jury so they didnt have to go to the stand? I dont know.

Quote Originally Posted by Nehemiah
    Also, does anyone find it odd that John/Patsy themselves were not questioned?
    Very odd. How can you not question the people who owned the house, found the note, found the child? How can you not hear from the parents of 6 year old child found dead in her own home? They questioned Burke but not John and Patsy? Maybe I just don't know how the GJ operates...

Quote Originally Posted by Nuisanceposter
    Very odd. How can you not question the people who owned the house, found the note, found the child? How can you not hear from the parents of 6 year old child found dead in her own home? They questioned Burke but not John and Patsy? Maybe I just don't know how the GJ operates...
    My sentiments, exactly.

BlueCrab has his own reasoning on this, but he is absent.

We do know that Melinda, JAR, Burke, and yes, even Doug S testified. It seems that J/P would hold the keys to what the GJ needed to know.

My sentiments, exactly.

BlueCrab has his own reasoning on this, but he is absent.

We do know that Melinda, JAR, Burke, and yes, even Doug S testified. It seems that J/P would hold the keys to what the GJ needed to know.
    Nehemiah,

I am very perplexed as to why JR and PR weren't called.
    Even if the jury thought that it was an intruder,or minors,as some posters believe,you would think,since they called in just about everyone else,they would have called the parents in,just to get their statements under oath.

This tends to make me think .... there is information out there,that we are not privy to,but I can't imagine what it is.

Its true.
    We do not know all the facts.
    Some are being kept from us.

Politics

It has been the thoughts of some here that the GJ in the Ramsey case was used to test opinion and the political/legal waters with respect to protecting the Boulder bureaucracy.

On 10/13/1999, the Boulder grand jury wrapped up a 13-month inquiry during which it had examined 30,000 pages of testimony and evidence, bringing the $2 million investigation to an *inconclusive* finish.

Since it has been so long ago that we discussed the GJ, let's go back and remember what we used to know about it.
    There was no reason to call the GJ in the first place. It was only done because of Steve Thomas's resignation letter. The Governor wanted something done, because he didn't want the media hounding him.

I may be wrong on this, but I believe the Ramseys weren't called because then the police would have to turn over information they didn't want the Ramseys or their attorneys to know about.

I believe Lou Smit stopped the runaway train against the Ramseys. The DNA was a big problem. Several jurors had scientific backgrounds and advanced degrees. It's no coincidence they had the BPD running around collecting DNA. I do think the DNA was inconclusive during that time, but what they did have had the same markers as that under JBR's nails and in her panties. Amazing to me that it was just a few years ago, another blood spot was tested with more markers.

John and Patsy were not called to testify because calling them would have entitled them to other statements and evidence that the authorities did not wish to share with them.

I don't know all the legalities but that is the reason they were not called.

The GJ itself was called just to keep the public quiet. There was never going to be an indictment, nor a trial. Haddon and Hunter would see to that. Money pays for innocence in Boulder also.
    This is my opinion only
    This post may not be copied to any other forum

God Bless America

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara
    John and Patsy were not called to testify because calling them would have entitled them to other statements and evidence that the authorities did not wish to share with them.

I don't know all the legalities but that is the reason they were not called.

The GJ itself was called just to keep the public quiet. There was never going to be an indictment, nor a trial. Haddon and Hunter would see to that. Money pays for innocence in Boulder also.
    Your accusing these public officials of taking bribes?
    That's a pretty serious charge.
    Do you have anything besides opinion to back that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Zman
    Your accusing these public officials of taking bribes?
    That's a pretty serious charge.
    Do you have anything besides opinion to back that up.
    Ummm....I'll take a guess. The Ramseys were not arrested. Nor were they questioned for 4 months. You think that if this were a family on welfare this would happen?

However, it's not necessarily bribes that this money paid for.
    Above is my opinion only

The Ramseys would get access to all the evidence against them if they were arrested.
    Perhaps if they were questioned by the GJ they might see evidence LE did not want them to know they had. LE certainly held back evidence from the public. Perhaps it was their strategy to not question the Ramseys because they wanted to save it for the trial and let loose for a conviction.
    Some have reasoned LE was afraid the GJ would be sympathetic to the parents testimony.
    Does anyone know if it is common for the indicted one to be called before the GJ? I am thinking that doesn't usually happen.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast