2 Children/1 adult die after falling through ice into pond

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
Two children and an adult died Friday after falling through the ice in two southeastern Wisconsin ponds, officials said. A 9-year-old girl fell through the ice of a small pond while ice skating, and her father plunged in trying to save her.

A few miles away, a 12-year-old boy on an all-terrain vehicle broke through another frozen pond. Cody Lechler was pulled from the water and died at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin in suburban Milwaukee, officials said.

The bodies of the father and daughter, Brian Obbink, 44, and Megan were recovered later Friday by a law enforcement dive team, Sheboygan County Sheriff's Sgt. Doug Tuttle said.

Megan had been skating on the football-field size pond in Cedar Grove with her 6-year-old sister Friday morning when the ice broke and Megan fell through. When their father tried to save her, he also fell in, Tuttle said. The younger sister ran to a nearby home for help, and someone called 911, but it was too late.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/1110AP_Ice_Search.html

I read that this morning, my aunt and uncle have a pond and we used to skate on that all the time when we were kids and now that i look back i think that God was watching over us because it wasnt very big and my parents would get on it too we all would, its a miracle we didnt fall through.....Its very dangerous to do that....

michelle, smaller ponds are much safer than larger ponds or lakes...

We used to drive out on the lake, to go ice fishing :eek: the car sat there all day 2000 pounds on the ice... duh :slap:

Casshew said:
michelle, smaller ponds are much safer than larger ponds or lakes...

We used to drive out on the lake, to go ice fishing :eek: the car sat there all day 2000 pounds on the ice... duh :slap:
oh my gosh thats crazy.........

michelle said:
oh my gosh thats crazy.........
Yep, considering there were 20 other cars & trucks out there with us and huts and snowmobiles...

Casshew said:
Yep, considering there were 20 other cars & trucks out there with us and huts and snowmobiles...
oh my gosh their was some serious angels watching over you guys, lol....

I grew up in Florida and live in California, so my knowledge of frozen ponds comes from the movies. Doesn't the ice always break and doesn't someone always fall in?

Nova said:
I grew up in Florida and live in California, so my knowledge of frozen ponds comes from the movies. Doesn't the ice always break and doesn't someone always fall in?

ITA! Having spent all but 2 years of my life in the deep south, this just seems incredibly risky to me. But my father, who was born and raised in NY, tells stories about groups of men driving their cars (yes, plural!) onto the ice to fish!!! I do not get it.

That has got to be one of the worst ways to go.
Drowning is bad enough, but the water is so frigid,
that I've heard it feels like hundreds of knives stabbing you.

How awful.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanayarford