1010 users online (202 members and 808 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Adopting a family

Our company adopted a family in need this Christmas season.

It is a Grandma raising 4 children herself (12, 9, 6 & 2) Their Dad died of cancer 2 years ago right around when the 2 year old was born. He had no insurance or anything so Mom was raising the 4 of them in a 2 bedroom apartment - but sadly a few months ago she was killed by a stray bullet in a gang incident. She had NOTHING to do with this gang stuff, in fact this was the first time she had gone out socially since her husband passed away. She was in a vehicle of a friend when they were caught in crossfire and she was hit.

The Grandma made a list of things they would like and I was really humbled by the types of items they were asking for. Bedding for 2 sets of bunk beds, warm pajamas, plastic plates and glasses, paper, pens and pencils. The little girl (6) asked for new shoes for church.

No toys, no games etc.. just these essentials.

Last night Paul and I went to a function at his Club and we were at a large table for dinner, I brought the subject up about this family we were adopting and everyone said how great that was... then - unbelievably - people started bring out their wallets and passing me loads of cash, or coming up to me later and slipping me money and saying 'help this family'

I recieved over 500.00 in cash - , and one of the gentlemen who owns a bedding/bath store is donating 8 sets of sheets, blankets, pillows & comforters for them.

I wanted to urge everyone to check locally and see if there is anything like this program in your area to adopt a needy family this holiday season, maybe you could get your employer involved.

What a wonderful thing Cass! When I hear of people who are having a hard time through no faulth of their own, I truly feel I am blessed. I have tried to teach my sons to appreciate what we have.

Every year since my boys were maybe 10 & 11 we have gotten names of children to buy Christmas presents for from the Salvation Army. The items the children list are not always toys, but things like clothing, warm coats, presents for their mothers, etc. as you mentioned. I have not gotten my sons anything at Christmas since that time because they said they already have all they need and want everyday and would rather me spend the money buying presents for little kids Christmas toys. They have such a terrific time filling the Christmas lists and wrapping presents for these children! My sons are in both in college now, and working and they can't wait to start their Christmas shopping as soon as I can get their lists for them. That's the ONLY time I can get them to go shopping with me...LOL

awwww. hubby and i adopted a family at for thanksgiving to get their food and all, they made a list of things the kids wanted for christmas and it was stuff like xbox, ipod, really exspensive stuff and my hubby was like "man, we dont even spend that on our kid" , lol....but thats how kiddies are they put what they want i guess.....but to ask for a pair of shoes, that breaks my heart....

Quote Originally Posted by michelle
    .but to ask for a pair of shoes, that breaks my heart....
    I know, she is 6 years old and she asked for 'shiny shoes' for church.

I was at that one... but don't worry - I intend that they will also have toys, books, games under their tree.

aww, that is so sweet, i want to go out now and buy her fifty pairs.....

Quote Originally Posted by Casshew
    I know, she is 6 years old and she asked for 'shiny shoes' for church.

I was at that one... but don't worry - I intend that they will also have toys, books, games under their tree.
    OK - I have a tear in my eye. Shoes this child asked for - oh my.
    We give a Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner through my parents club to a family every year but I am going to check this out and see if a program like this exists in my area.
    I have talked to a local high school teacher about sponsoring 2 teens for prom. My husband and I will give dress, shoes, hair, makeup to a girl and a tux, haircut, and dinner certificate to a boy. We did set a limit - with the way prom stuff costs if no limit set we will be Cass' family for Christmas next year!
    We are so excited but after reading this I want to do something for a family this Christmas.
    Thanks for sharing Cass.

That's a very sweet and touching story Cass. Thank you for reminding us what the holidays are really about, sharing with those less fortunate.

You're such a nice and caring person.

fran

This is the first year my employer is NOT participating in an adoption program, which I find hard to believe. I was, at least, able to talk them into collecting food for Thanksgiving, which we hadn't done before.

Luckily we have many sponsored events locally for the same purpose. This whole week is the 'Toys for Tot's' Drive, and our local Salvation Army church sponsors programs for the county's children every year too.

Thanks everyone for the kind words...

Pook did your company say why they weren't participating this year?

Thanks everyone for the kind words...

Pook did your company say why they weren't participating this year?
    Instead of posting a rude response, I'll answer honestly and state, I have no idea why.

But I don't care. I've always adopted my own families for years anyway, and will continue to do so for as long as I'm able to.

I always drop new unwrapped toys at one of the local banks ... I try to buy like 4 toys, 2 for a boy and 2 for a girl.... they distribute these toys to children who would otherwise have nothing for Christmas ... this year it was two cabbage patch kids, and two sets of leggos.... we buy clothes for the Salvation army tree each year also.... I only pick the ones who ask for clothes since I give toys to the banks.

Last year our company in Corsicana alone raised over 45,000 lbs of no perishable food stuffs and donated it to the food pantry... Because of us, there were plenty of people who got more than just the one or two cans of food, .. we donated rice, beans, flour, cornmeal, dry milk, canned meats, canned milk, sugar, tea, coffee, pancake mix syrup etc.... It was all in the spirit of giving and we had a blast doing it.
    /

"Would some power the Giftee gie us To see ourselves as others see us" R.Burns

Quote Originally Posted by mic730
    OK - I have a tear in my eye. Shoes this child asked for - oh my.
    We give a Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner through my parents club to a family every year but I am going to check this out and see if a program like this exists in my area.
    I have talked to a local high school teacher about sponsoring 2 teens for prom. My husband and I will give dress, shoes, hair, makeup to a girl and a tux, haircut, and dinner certificate to a boy. We did set a limit - with the way prom stuff costs if no limit set we will be Cass' family for Christmas next year!
    We are so excited but after reading this I want to do something for a family this Christmas.
    Thanks for sharing Cass.
    We adopted a family for Christmas last year though work instead of exchanging gifts among co-workers. It felt good to help those in need.

A manager at work got the name of the family in need through his church. I think all churches have these type of programs. If you don't go to church, ask someone that you know that does. Again, it was so heartwarming to help a family in need.

You can choose to be bitter or better when handling your problems.

My posts are just my opinion and for entertainment purposes only.
    Do not copy any of my post. All post are to remain here.

Christopher McCandless (aka Alexander Supertramp)
    2/12/1968 -8/1992 RIP you are missed.

http://www.bringkyronhome.org/
    If you have information about Kyron Horman, please call the Tip Line at 503-261-2847 or dial 911

These are such heartwarming posts!

This year I have donated time and money to providing gifts for homeless children. Most of them just want simple things, like jeans, shoes, socks, the basics. Like Casshew, I was so touched when I saw the simplicity of their requests.

In addition to giving these kids what they asked for, I'm also giving each of them a surprise gift from "Santa" - dolls for the girls, and whatever my husband decides to get for the boys.

I volunteered at a Salvation Army a couple years ago through school and the people who came in literally had nothing to give their children for Christmas. I think it was one of the most eye opening experiences I've ever had. We got toys together for the people who came in and also gave people a ham or turkey and some canned goods. It really makes you appreciate what you have.

Happiness...consists in giving, and in serving others.
    - Henry Drummond

...they will also have toys, books, games under their tree.
    That's because there really is a Santa Claus.

P.S. Are you sure that they will have a tree? You might want to make sure that they at least have a little tree with all of the trimmings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast