1287 users online (226 members and 1061 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hope4Lost View Post
    I really wish there was more information on this case. Does anyone have any clue how to search old newspaper articles when the paper website doesn't work? Thanks in advance.
    There are several websites that archive old newspaper articles, but you have to pay for them. One of the best is Newslibrary, www.newslibrary.com. You can get 50 articles for $19.95 or single articles for $3.50 each. You get to search keywords for free, and read the first 100 or so words of each article for free. Other similar sites include Newspaperarchive.com (a flat monthly fee of like $17 for unlimited searches, this includes many very old papers) and highbeam.com.

I bought several Newslibrary articles about the Occhi case. I can't remember any that said she was home sick, but it's been awhile.

http://montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps...711040321/1009
    That letdown came in March. Now, Berry is waiting for DNA from the mother of a missing Tupelo, Miss., girl named Leigh Marine Occhi.
    The 13-year-old girl has been missing since 1992, when she was possibly abducted from her home in her nightshirt and green-and-yellow boxer shorts.

More information at the link above.

Read the aricle first then check out this link, read the second message in the forum this is scary,
    http://www.tupelovoice.com/joomla/in...id=25&id=11293

I do not know how long the first link has been up and the message was posted on the forum just two weeks ago so the person posting could have read the same article I found, but its still wierd.

Thank you Meggilyweggily and C2cd208 for the info!

C2cd208, that article looks to be dated February 22. With the proximity of the discovery to the town of Tupelo, one would think that the connection to Occhi would have been one of the first to be excluded. It's a crying shame it's taken this long. Huntsville is less than 150 miles from Tupelo as the crow flies. This makes me angry. It's been over 10 years since the bones were found! Why on earth wouldn't they investigate the closest missing persons first??????????????!!!!!!!!!

P. S. I saw that comment at that particular forum the other day and chalked it up to a silly teenager or a kook. jmo

Actually, I think that the article is from Oct. or Nov. of last year. Am searching the links at newslibrary now.

I thought the message on the forum to be kooky as well, but you can never count anything out.
    I have a question for those of you who have been sleuthing for a while, as I am still pretty new to it. Have been interested in crimes for years but just more or less watched them on TV and read about them. Anyway, to get past articles from newspapers, can one still visit the local library and use micro fish? Or have those been done away with the internet revolution? The reason I ask is this, I am about an hour drive from Tupelo and go there about once a month to shop. If you can still use micro fish machines I would be willing to take the time to go to the library there and look the articles up and have them printed so that we would have them. I could scan them in and save them to a file on my server for those who are watching this case. Let me know from those of you who have been at this for a while if this is something that can still be done and I will take a day off work next week ( it’s a slow week ) and do this.

I think most if not all libraries still have microfilms. I used to go the library at my college and look at microfilm material, and I know the Fort Wayne Public Library which I go to now has microfilm machines.

(I don't think print media will ever die. In fact, with all the technology now it's more essential than ever. Various forms of electronic media like records, tapes, etc will become obsolete, and they will stop making machines to play/view them, and then such media will become inaccessible. But a piece of paper is never obsolete and doesn't require any equipment to access. This became really obvious to me when I was doing some research last summer. The man I was researching, a famous author, had hundreds of thousands of pages of drafts and things in manuscript boxes to be read. He also had a few very early poems he'd recited and recorded on vinyl records back in the forties. Problem: it's been sixty years, the records are warped, and you can no longer make out most of his words. Because he didn't write them down, those poems are probably lost forever. It's so sad.)

Quote Originally Posted by c2cd208 View Post
    I thought the message on the forum to be kooky as well, but you can never count anything out.
    I have a question for those of you who have been sleuthing for a while, as I am still pretty new to it. Have been interested in crimes for years but just more or less watched them on TV and read about them. Anyway, to get past articles from newspapers, can one still visit the local library and use micro fish? Or have those been done away with the internet revolution? The reason I ask is this, I am about an hour drive from Tupelo and go there about once a month to shop. If you can still use micro fish machines I would be willing to take the time to go to the library there and look the articles up and have them printed so that we would have them. I could scan them in and save them to a file on my server for those who are watching this case. Let me know from those of you who have been at this for a while if this is something that can still be done and I will take a day off work next week ( it’s a slow week ) and do this.
    I think Meggilyweggily is right. Most libraries should still have the old fashioned microfilm and such. If you do get to go, God bless you! I'd love to hear of any info you can find.

I am planning on taking off work on Thursday of this week and make the trip to Tupelo and visit the libr. I will see what I can find. What would be the easiest way to share this with anyone interested in the case? Should I like scan them into my computer and make a document or would it be easier for everyone if I were to upload the scanned files to my own server and give a link?
    By the way, I have a ton of space on my server if anyone needs some bandwith space or storage. I could never use the amount of space that I have.

There may be a way that you can scan articles to jump drive or something and then copy and paste. However, it's been eons since I visited a library and not at all since computers have been so widely used. They may have all sorts of fancy new gadgets there. LOL.

Ok I might have not been as clear as I could have been. I know that from the fish that I will have the lib print the articles, I will have paper from the lib and I can bring it home and scan it into my computer, I guess what I should have said was that once I had these printed materials what would be the best way to make these available to those who wish to pursue this case? I have a website for my company that I can make a page within and even password protect if I need to, but I can format the scanned images from the print that I get at the lib, and upload them in any format and as stated even protect the docs. I was jus ttrying to avoid emailing the same thing several times if there were several people who wanted to pursue this case.

I guess I wasn't searching newslibrary.com correctly the other day; but here is the link to many more articles with info about Leigh Occhi:

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/...urces=location

I wonder if c2cd208 has found out anything interesting.

Hey there! I will be taking tomarrow off to go to the library. I also have a friend who works at the local paper here, the paper is owned by the same company that owns the paper in Tupelo. I called her last night and asked her if there was any way that she had access to old artices and if she could search them out easily and maybe get me copies. She is checking on that today. Being the media company she works for is the only one for the area I may not have to go to the lib and dig around. Lets keep our fingers crossed that she can get me the information. Either way I have to get it though is fine. I am taking the day off tomarrow anyway. Also I reposted a link to an old article on Topix in the Tupelo, MS section to see if it would start any conversation. Lets keep our fingers crossed that maybe we can get some clues.

I have a couple of questions about the newslibrary.com ok I see where you can pay per article, and where you can get 50 articles a month for $19.95 does anyone know why they limit to 50? Also, and I address this to someone in an accounting field, say I suscribed to this service, and I paid with a company credit or debit card, could I justify to the tax man that is a service that I pay for to do discovery work when doing background checks? The reason I ask is that when I was messing around in the site the strangest thing happened to me. I had typed in Leighs name and a name come up of someone that had made application with my company at one time to lease on with me and even though I did not purchase the article, the words that it does let you see, they were not good at all. So could I use it as a tax deduction?

Quote Originally Posted by c2cd208 View Post
    I have a couple of questions about the newslibrary.com ok I see where you can pay per article, and where you can get 50 articles a month for $19.95 does anyone know why they limit to 50?
    Because they need to make money, and charging $20 for unlimited articles would probably not be good business sense. I think they used to charge $20 for 100 articles, but then the prices went up. But it used to be a lot worse, like $20 for five articles or something. I've given Newslibrary hundreds of dollars of my money for my Charley research.

Incidentally: if you buy a 50-article subscription, and you use it all up -- that is, buy 50 articles -- your subscription won't be renewed next month and you'll have to buy another. If you only buy 49 articles or whatever in a month, though, they'll charge you for another 50 articles next month.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast