OR OR - Jayson Thomas, 31 (fnd dec'd) & son, 3, swept out to sea, Curry Co, 15 Jan 17

Vail

Justice for Kara & Jessica
Reaction score
http://flashalert.net/id/OSPOre/100977

On January 15, 2016 at about 1PM, emergency personnel responded to the report of an adult male and a toddler swept out to sea on the beach near Floras Lake in Curry County.

http://www.ktvz.com/news/father-young-son-swept-out-to-sea-on-s-oregon-coast/271704328

The Coast Guard said Monday it's continuing to search for a father and his young son after a wave swept them to sea from an Oregon beach.
The 31-year-old Eugene-area man and his 3-year-old son were walking on a beach about 2 miles north of Cape Blanco on the southern Oregon Coast just before 1 p.m. Sunday when the wave struck. The boy's mother saw it happen and called authorities.

what a nightmare. Someone needs to put that poor mama on suicide watch. She must be devastated.

Should this be 2017?

Yes it should. The flash alert sent out by the Oregon State Police has the date incorrect. I've emailed them to correct it, and alerted the Mods to correct it on the thread as well.

I'm quite familiar with this area of the Oregon coast. Such a sad event.

KGW reports that the father's coat and a baby carrier (presumably a wearable type) were found in the surf. :(

ETA From the KGW link above: "Coast Guard crews in helicopters and search boats and state troopers in all-terrain vehicles on Sunday found only the man's jacket and a child carrier he had been wearing in the surf."

This is so awful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is so terrible. I can't imagine the pain the mother must be in right now. My kids get very irritated with me when I go on and on about the surf in Oregon. I am constantly telling them they are too far out .... it makes me very nervous. They like to make fun of me about it, but it is no joke! The Oregon surf is relentless and one step -- you are in water over your head.

OMG! My heart just got such a pain. :(

Oh my! How sad.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I didn't know waves got that high at the shore except during a hurricane or tornado, What a horrible tragedy!

Oh my gosh. How horrific. I hope that mama has a good support system in place.

I didn't know waves got that high at the shore except during a hurricane or tornado, What a horrible tragedy!

Horrible tragedy. Poor wife and mother. :(

Sneaker waves along the Oregon coast are common this time of year and have swept away many over the years. They catch people unaware who are enjoying the beach. I don't know if that's what pulled this Dad and son out to sea, but it probably was.

The video in this article shows the danger. The guy making a video of a large wave had to run for safety.
http://www.oregonlive.com/travel/index.ssf/2016/07/sneaker_wave_tragedies_of_the.html

you can never turn your back on the ocean here......it happens that quickly.... very sad for the family

[emoji33] I didn't know this was possible. My mom always warned me not to go too close to the water at every beach we've ever visited. She would scare me and say the ocean chooses who it's going to take. I'll especially be careful in Oregon.

That is completely devastating for the mom/wife to see that and to be completely helpless.

I can't understand how if the dad was wearing the child carrier, how it can come off... usually those things have a multitude of buckles/clasps. Also I wonder if the boy was inside the carrier, but I assume the boy was walking on the beach just because it is more fun than being in a carrier.

I hope they will be found...

What a tragic thing to occur! The poor wife/mother :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288