1440 users online (251 members and 1189 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by JackDave View Post
    Cheryl was not a military dependent, both her parents worked civil service on the base, though, probably retired from the base.

Our family moved next door to the White's in 1972, 3 years before her death and I was in same grade with Cheryl, we went to school together. It was a good middle class neighborhood bordering Fountain (Dry Lake) Park between Watson Blvd. and Russell Pkwy. Our parents were very good friends and often socialized. In those pre-high school years, got to know Cheryl, I would say we were barely friends. She was way more "worldly" than me, and I knew she was "getting in with the wrong crowd" once into high school. I was about 9 months older than Cheryl, but she was very mature for her age and very attractive. It was like I was 16 and she 19, way ahead of her years.

Many weekend mornings I would go out in our backyard and see an extension ladder up to Cheryl's window at her parents house...... Gave her a ride to a HS football game that same fall she died, and a no show where we were to meet after game, as she had met up with some friends. She had a green VW Bug that I think she got when age 15 and used to drive it solo then. When she turned 16 that August before she died, and could drive legally on own, she officially moved out. I am thinking that had to be only 3 months before the murder. I know I carried her coffin on my 17th birthday in November.

It was such a shame, a girl with so much potential and personality, who was in the wrong place at wrong time. The White's then had to endure a car wreck with injuries of their youngest daughter, who recuperated but ended up being murdered by her husband 30 years later. I think of them and Cheryl often. My heart goes out to the entire White family. As to the murder, I have no intelligence, heard several rumors over the years, no facts though. Have moved out of area to Atlanta, but did a google search out of curiosity on Cheryl's case and came up with this website. Anyway, my 2 cents worth.
    I wanted to make sure you had seen the update. The former roommate was arrested in the middle of March in San Antonio. I'd like to think that Cheryl assisted. Forty years later, the murderous demon was picked up on the day before what would have been Cheryl's 57th birthday. Stewart is in the Houston County jail right now. The site is searchable and you can see the charges against her. By the way, I live in your old neighborhood.

The article linked below, from The Macon Telegraph, Warner Robins (GA), Thurs. morning, 11/13/1975, was written the day after Cheryl White was murdered. It states that Cheryl White was found by a neighbor, shows his photo w/cigarette (beside a photo of Mary Jane Stewart Staples, w/cigarette), and quotes him as saying that he believed Cheryl knew her killer because she was a strong girl and would have fought off [someone she did not know]. The article indicates that there were no signs of a struggle.

http://www.macon.com/news/local/jt4k...yl%20white.JPG
    This article linked below, dated 03/28/2017, never mentions the neighbor featured in the article above, who allegedly found Cheryl. Instead, it reveals new information not reported in previous article:

Accused Killer Returns 41 Years Later to Answer Murder Charge in Warner Robins
    "At 1:10 a.m. [on Wed., 11/12/1975], White's body was found [by 2 men who went to check on her]. Her throat was cut and she had been stabbed 15 times, in her throat, arms and side. Neighbors said they heard a scream and saw a man flee from her apartment into the woods."

http://www.macon.com/news/local/crim...141171103.html
    Well, what else don't we know? I think that there was a love triangle that enraged Mary Jean. (But, that's just my opinion.)

Maybe MJ came back to the apartment unexpectedly, because she suspected that her boyfriend might be there (would explain her "uneasy feeling"). She burst in on Cheryl and the boyfriend. Cheryl screamed, and the boyfriend ran out of the apartment and into the woods. MJ grabbed any old knife from the kitchen and stabbed Cheryl (the "boyfriend's knife" that she claimed she tossed in trash was a red herring, IMO.) She then tossed out the knife she used to kill Cheryl.

She called the estranged husband from the apartment. He came, picked her up, and they went to a bar.

My theory.
    You can lead a horse to water, but sometimes ... you have to hold his head under

Quote Originally Posted by Marci S View Post
    I wanted to make sure you had seen the update. The former roommate was arrested in the middle of March in San Antonio. I'd like to think that Cheryl assisted. Forty years later, the murderous demon was picked up on the day before what would have been Cheryl's 57th birthday. Stewart is in the Houston County jail right now. The site is searchable and you can see the charges against her. By the way, I live in your old neighborhood.
    Thank you, yes. I did see the update on my High School reunion facebook page. Nothing since, except that someone posted that she was released on bail. Need to check further on that. She might flee.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2