GA - Cheryl White, 16, Warner Robins, 12 Nov 1975 *Killer died*

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
llison White was 13 years old when she learned that her sister had been murdered more than a decade earlier.

Nov. 12, 1975, the bloodied body of Cheryl White was discovered on the floor by her roommate's bed in a Warner Robins apartment. Her throat was slit and she had been stabbed 15 times.

News accounts in The Telegraph archives tell of a young woman in search of independence but who apparently fell in with the wrong crowd. A junior at Warner Robins High, Cheryl dropped out of school and moved in with a girlfriend at the long-since demolished Parkway Apartments off Wellborn Road.

Two weeks before her death, Cheryl lost her part-time job at Piggly Wiggly in Zayre Plaza. Her landlord tried to evict her the day before she was killed because she was a minor. Her friend who had leased the apartment had moved out and her new roommate, who was 18, had not signed the lease agreement.

Cheryl's father had pleaded with her to come home, and she agreed. But Cheryl wanted to pack her things first.

The night before she was to return home, the 16-year-old girl climbed into her roommate's bed about 10:30 because hers was covered with packed boxes and suitcases.

She was killed 2 hours later.

According to news accounts at the time, Mary Jane Stewart Staples, then 18, came home late that November night and found her young roommate bleeding profusely, but still alive.

Instead of calling authorities, she left her dying roommate and went to a motel lounge with her estranged husband, Hugh Staples, who picked her up from the apartment.

She didn't tell anyone about the stabbing until neighbors found her at a local restaurant and told her to come home. Several parties were going on in the apartment complex where Cheryl's body was found.

Before police were called, there had been a steady flow of people in and out of the bedroom. The girl's body had been moved and someone had put a pillow under her head.

Police found her lying on her back, wearing a bathrobe, T-shirt and underwear. She had not been sexually assaulted. More than 60 footprints had been tracked through the blood.

Mary Jane Stewart Staples, later convicted of perjury, initially told police detectives she picked up a knife near Cheryl's body and dumped it in the trash because she thought it belonged to her estranged husband.
http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/13265368.htm

Warner Robins, Georgia is a town 20 miles due south of Macon, GA. It is adjacent to Robins Air Force Base.

This does indeed sound very strange. Sixty different people tracking through her blood as she lay dying or dead?! How long did it take for someone to call for help? Sounds as if there was a lot of covering up being done by a large number of people.

Hopefully police were able to identify all sixty people. If such a list still exists today, it would be fairly easy to see who on that list has proven to be a violent dirt bag in the past 30 years by repeating the crime. It would also help to locate and re-interview individuals of that crowd to see if their stories change or if maybe any of them have developed some morals in the past 30 years, and might be willing to identify potential suspects.

Primary suspects would be the roomate and her "estranged" husband. Also any known criminals from the crowd.

I wonder if any Air Force personnel were living there, or at the party that night, or if Cheryl was an Air Force dependant. If so, a file might exist in Air Force OSI archives.

I found it so hard to believe that 60 people had tracked through there, presumably knowing about her death, and not one called police. Not even after they sobered up! And for so many to know, yet LE has never found enough evidence to convict anyone, esp. after all of these years, that just boggled my mind! I just don't understand!

Cheryl's murder is listed as a cold case on the Warner Robins PD website.

Unsolved Homicide
Victim Name: Cheryl White
Date Discovered: November 12, 1975
Sex/Race/Age: F/W/16

On November 12, 1975, Cheryl White was found deceased in her apartment at Parkway Apartments (now demolished) in Warner Robins. Cheryl Wright was found with numerous stab wounds. Contact
Detective Clark if you may have more information regarding this incident.
http://www.wrpolice.org/cold_cases.html

An added tragedy for Cheryl White's family

Cheryl's sister Allison, named in the article in the OP, was murdered in September, 2008, when her husband of less than five months shot her and then turned the gun on himself.

http://wrcdv.blogspot.com/2008/09/murder-suicides-hit-fourth-family-in.html

I've lived in warner robins nearly 20 yrs and I've not heard of this case. I'm going to delve into archives next week to see if I can find anything else. Maybe my cousins, who graduated from WRHS in the 70s, knew her or friends of hers.
If I'm thinking of the right road, wellborn rd is like a quarter mile away from the base.

I cannot imagine how all of those people could have wandered all through the room where she was found including in her very blood. Was there extremely dark carpeting? Were the lights out?

When I first read it, I thought perhaps someone was after the roommate as she was in that girl's bed. But, after reading more, I no longer think that.

The roommate does some mind boggling things. Not summoning help, but going to a bar. Throwing away a knife that very likely was a murder weapon because she just randomly assumed her estranged husband randomly left it there. Inviting half of Georgia to tour the crime scene. I can't believe the cuffs weren't snapped on her for being an accessory after the fact at the very least. Or neglience or something?

And I do not believe for one second it was just this girl's bad luck that she was murdered the night before she was moving out forever. But, why she was killed then and in that apartment and in that manner, I just cannot fathom.

Warner Robins, Georgia is a town 20 miles due south of Macon, GA. It is adjacent to Robins Air Force Base.

This does indeed sound very strange. Sixty different people tracking through her blood as she lay dying or dead?! How long did it take for someone to call for help? Sounds as if there was a lot of covering up being done by a large number of people.

Hopefully police were able to identify all sixty people. If such a list still exists today, it would be fairly easy to see who on that list has proven to be a violent dirt bag in the past 30 years by repeating the crime. It would also help to locate and re-interview individuals of that crowd to see if their stories change or if maybe any of them have developed some morals in the past 30 years, and might be willing to identify potential suspects.

Primary suspects would be the roomate and her "estranged" husband. Also any known criminals from the crowd.

I wonder if any Air Force personnel were living there, or at the party that night, or if Cheryl was an Air Force dependant. If so, a file might exist in Air Force OSI archives.
Cheryl was not a military dependent, both her parents worked civil service on the base, though, probably retired from the base.

Our family moved next door to the White's in 1972, 3 years before her death and I was in same grade with Cheryl, we went to school together. It was a good middle class neighborhood bordering Fountain (Dry Lake) Park between Watson Blvd. and Russell Pkwy. Our parents were very good friends and often socialized. In those pre-high school years, got to know Cheryl, I would say we were barely friends. She was way more "worldly" than me, and I knew she was "getting in with the wrong crowd" once into high school. I was about 9 months older than Cheryl, but she was very mature for her age and very attractive. It was like I was 16 and she 19, way ahead of her years.

Many weekend mornings I would go out in our backyard and see an extension ladder up to Cheryl's window at her parents house...... Gave her a ride to a HS football game that same fall she died, and a no show where we were to meet after game, as she had met up with some friends. She had a green VW Bug that I think she got when age 15 and used to drive it solo then. When she turned 16 that August before she died, and could drive legally on own, she officially moved out. I am thinking that had to be only 3 months before the murder. I know I carried her coffin on my 17th birthday in November.

It was such a shame, a girl with so much potential and personality, who was in the wrong place at wrong time. The White's then had to endure a car wreck with injuries of their youngest daughter, who recuperated but ended up being murdered by her husband 30 years later. I think of them and Cheryl often. My heart goes out to the entire White family. As to the murder, I have no intelligence, heard several rumors over the years, no facts though. Have moved out of area to Atlanta, but did a google search out of curiosity on Cheryl's case and came up with this website. Anyway, my 2 cents worth.

How is this even considered a "mystery"?

llison White was 13 years old when she learned that her sister had been murdered more than a decade earlier.

Nov. 12, 1975, the bloodied body of Cheryl White was discovered on the floor by her roommate's bed in a Warner Robins apartment.

-Who had access to the room?, What purpose did her death serve?

Her throat was slit and she had been stabbed 15 times.

-Overkill, indicative of interpersonal rage/anger, did she have any problems with anyone? owe anyone money?, any enemies?

News accounts in The Telegraph archives tell of a young woman in search of independence but who apparently fell in with the wrong crowd.

-Backgrounds of those she was involved with, victimology assessment, criminal background of the victim

A junior at Warner Robins High, Cheryl dropped out of school and moved in with a girlfriend at the long-since demolished Parkway Apartments off Wellborn Road.

-What factors influenced her decision to drop out, friends, family, lifestyle. school?(Victimology assessment)

Two weeks before her death, Cheryl lost her part-time job at Piggly Wiggly in Zayre Plaza.

-Factors in her dismissal from the employer , why was she fired/let go?

Her landlord tried to evict her the day before she was killed because she was a minor. Her friend who had leased the apartment had moved out and her new roommate, who was 18, had not signed the lease agreement.

-How long prior to the eviction attempt did her 1st roommate move out ?, was anyone else known to frequent the apartment? , was there any type of altercation with the landlord verbal or physical?

Cheryl's father had pleaded with her to come home, and she agreed. But Cheryl wanted to pack her things first.

-Sudden life change, what influenced her to suddenly accept her fathers suggestion to move back home? did her parents feel she was in danger, did she mention that she felt she was in danger? , if so from what, or whom?

The night before she was to return home, the 16-year-old girl climbed into her roommate's bed about 10:30 because hers was covered with packed boxes and suitcases.

-Why would she sleep in her roommates bed?, was there other places she could've slept ?couch? floor? did she contact her roommate to let her she was ? Was it common for her to share a bed with her roommate ?

approx. 12:30 am

According to news accounts at the time, Mary Jane Stewart Staples, then 18, came home late that November night and found her young roommate bleeding profusely, but still alive.

-What time did she arrive home?, depending on the severity of her injuries, do the investigators, feel her roommates arrival to the scene coincides with the time of death (IE were her injuries too severe for her roommate to arrive at said time to find her alive still?)

Instead of calling authorities, she left her dying roommate and went to a motel lounge with her estranged husband, Hugh Staples, who picked her up from the apartment.

-Authorities, or an ambulance maybe ?, why not call for help ? She called NOONE WHO COULD POSSIBLY RENDER AID?...hell, why not try to help her yourself?, why not ask staff for help, or to contact EMS, or police?. Was it common for her estranged husband, to come pick her up in the middle of the night ?, If not why wouldn't he question it ?, How long did it take Hugh Staples, to get to the location to pick her up?, does it coincide, with his last known location?, in other words, was he most likely where he said he was ?, Why doesn't Hugh, render aid Call motel staff, police or EMS, immediately?. Again WHAT PURPOSE does her death serve?, and why would someone SUPPOSEDLY not involved, want to ensure it

She didn't tell anyone about the stabbing until neighbors found her at a local restaurant and told her to come home.

-Umm lemme guess not on the top of her "to do " list ?why leave the scene at all if you are going to later claim you were there while she was dying?, and why hang around ?, someone didn't have her story straight, and didn't want to seem too obvious

Several parties were going on in the apartment complex where Cheryl's body was found
Before police were called, there had been a steady flow of people in and out of the bedroom. The girl's body had been moved and someone had put a pillow under her head.

Police found her lying on her back, wearing a bathrobe, T-shirt and underwear. She had not been sexually assaulted. More than 60 footprints had been tracked through the blood.

-Staging, undoing, sanitizing, and third party involvement, someone's VERY worried, yet possibly in a panic

Mary Jane Stewart Staples, later convicted of perjury, initially told police detectives she picked up a knife near Cheryl's body and dumped it in the trash because she thought it belonged to her estranged husband.

-RIIIIGHT , and she's concerned for her estranged husband why? If she thinks he was involved, and hid evidence, she's guilty of aiding , and obstruction, to begin with. Her story sucks, the agency in charge of this dropped the ball somewhere because its solvable.. its basically solved, as it stands.

I found it so hard to believe that 60 people had tracked through there, presumably knowing about her death, and not one called police. Not even after they sobered up! And for so many to know, yet LE has never found enough evidence to convict anyone, esp. after all of these years, that just boggled my mind! I just don't understand!
The police and an ambulance were called to the scene! You have to remember this was before 911 and cellphones.

-Overkill, indicative of interpersonal rage/anger, did she have any problems with anyone? owe anyone money?, any enemies?

-Backgrounds of those she was involved with, victimology assessment, criminal background of the victim

-What factors influenced her decision to drop out, friends, family, lifestyle. school?(Victimology assessment)

-How long prior to the eviction attempt did her 1st roommate move out ?, was anyone else known to frequent the apartment? , was there any type of altercation with the landlord verbal or physical?

-Sudden life change, what influenced her to suddenly accept her fathers suggestion to move back home? did her parents feel she was in danger, did she mention that she felt she was in danger? , if so from what, or whom?

-Why would she sleep in her roommates bed?, was there other places she could've slept ?couch? floor? did she contact her roommate to let her she was ? Was it common for her to share a bed with her roommate ?

-What time did she arrive home?, depending on the severity of her injuries, do the investigators, feel her roommates arrival to the scene coincides with the time of death (IE were her injuries too severe for her roommate to arrive at said time to find her alive still?)

-Authorities, or an ambulance maybe ?, why not call for help ? She called NOONE WHO COULD POSSIBLY RENDER AID?...hell, why not try to help her yourself?, why not ask staff for help, or to contact EMS, or police?. Was it common for her estranged husband, to come pick her up in the middle of the night ?, If not why wouldn't he question it ?, How long did it take Hugh Staples, to get to the location to pick her up?, does it coincide, with his last known location?, in other words, was he most likely where he said he was ?, Why doesn't Hugh, render aid Call motel staff, police or EMS, immediately?. Again WHAT PURPOSE does her death serve?, and why would someone SUPPOSEDLY not involved, want to ensure it

-Umm lemme guess not on the top of her "to do " list ?why leave the scene at all if you are going to later claim you were there while she was dying?, and why hang around ?, someone didn't have her story straight, and didn't want to seem too obvious

-Staging, undoing, sanitizing, and third party involvement, someone's VERY worried, yet possibly in a panic

-RIIIIGHT , and she's concerned for her estranged husband why? If she thinks he was involved, and hid evidence, she's guilty of aiding , and obstruction, to begin with. Her story sucks, the agency in charge of this dropped the ball somewhere because its solvable.. its basically solved, as it stands.

Thanks, RichKelly. Your analysis is always superb. Agree, this case is already solved, the question is why LE haven't arrested the killer. Such a shame, this poor girl's family had to suffer so long with no answers, no justice.

from family member of Cheryl White.
"mary jane stewart is going to be extradicted for this murder after 42 years" posted today on facebook

For all my friends back home. FINALLY, after 42 LONG years they've arrested, Mary Jane Stewart, for the cold blooded murder of Cheryl White, from Warner Robins, Georgia. I've always known in my heart it was her. God bless her poor mom she's finally getting closure. Mary Jane is being extradited now from Texas to WR. R.I.P beautiful Cheryl, rot in HELL, Mary Jane.

Nov. 12, 1975, the bloodied body of Cheryl White was discovered on the floor by her roommate's bed in a Warner Robins apartment. Her throat was slit and she had been stabbed 15 times.

News accounts in The Telegraph archives tell of a young woman in search of independence but who apparently fell in with the wrong crowd. A junior at Warner Robins High, Cheryl dropped out of school and moved in with a girlfriend at the long-since demolished Parkway Apartments off Wellborn Road.

Two weeks before her death, Cheryl lost her part-time job at Piggly Wiggly in Zayre Plaza. Her landlord tried to evict her the day before she was killed because she was a minor. Her friend who had leased the apartment had moved out and her new roommate, who was 18, had not signed the lease agreement.

She didn't tell anyone about the stabbing until neighbors found her at a local restaurant and told her to come home. Several parties were going on in the apartment complex where Cheryl's body was found.

from family member of Cheryl White.
"mary jane stewart is going to be extradicted for this murder after 42 years" posted today on facebook

This is great news! I remember Kell1's analysis of this terrible crime. He was pretty blunt about the fact that this should have been solved long ago. I'm glad it finally happened! I hope Cheryl's family and friends can find some peace.

This was supposed to be a reply to an earlier post. Now it's a duplicate. Oops. I wanted to make sure you had seen the update. The former roommate was arrested in the middle of March in San Antonio. I'd like to think that Cheryl assisted. Forty years later, the murderous demon was picked up on the day before what would have been Cheryl's 57th birthday. Stewart is in the Houston County jail right now. The site is searchable and you can see the charges against her. By the way, I live in your old neighborhood.

Cheryl was not a military dependent, both her parents worked civil service on the base, though, probably retired from the base.

Our family moved next door to the White's in 1972, 3 years before her death and I was in same grade with Cheryl, we went to school together. It was a good middle class neighborhood bordering Fountain (Dry Lake) Park between Watson Blvd. and Russell Pkwy. Our parents were very good friends and often socialized. In those pre-high school years, got to know Cheryl, I would say we were barely friends. She was way more "worldly" than me, and I knew she was "getting in with the wrong crowd" once into high school. I was about 9 months older than Cheryl, but she was very mature for her age and very attractive. It was like I was 16 and she 19, way ahead of her years.

Many weekend mornings I would go out in our backyard and see an extension ladder up to Cheryl's window at her parents house...... Gave her a ride to a HS football game that same fall she died, and a no show where we were to meet after game, as she had met up with some friends. She had a green VW Bug that I think she got when age 15 and used to drive it solo then. When she turned 16 that August before she died, and could drive legally on own, she officially moved out. I am thinking that had to be only 3 months before the murder. I know I carried her coffin on my 17th birthday in November.

It was such a shame, a girl with so much potential and personality, who was in the wrong place at wrong time. The White's then had to endure a car wreck with injuries of their youngest daughter, who recuperated but ended up being murdered by her husband 30 years later. I think of them and Cheryl often. My heart goes out to the entire White family. As to the murder, I have no intelligence, heard several rumors over the years, no facts though. Have moved out of area to Atlanta, but did a google search out of curiosity on Cheryl's case and came up with this website. Anyway, my 2 cents worth.

I wanted to make sure you had seen the update. The former roommate was arrested in the middle of March in San Antonio. I'd like to think that Cheryl assisted. Forty years later, the murderous demon was picked up on the day before what would have been Cheryl's 57th birthday. Stewart is in the Houston County jail right now. The site is searchable and you can see the charges against her. By the way, I live in your old neighborhood.

The article linked below, from The Macon Telegraph, Warner Robins (GA), Thurs. morning, 11/13/1975, was written the day after Cheryl White was murdered. It states that Cheryl White was found by a neighbor, shows his photo w/cigarette (beside a photo of Mary Jane Stewart Staples, w/cigarette), and quotes him as saying that he believed Cheryl knew her killer because she was a strong girl and would have fought off [someone she did not know]. The article indicates that there were no signs of a struggle.

http://www.macon.com/news/local/jt4k8a/picture141780204/alternates/FREE_960/cheryl white.JPG

This article linked below, dated 03/28/2017, never mentions the neighbor featured in the article above, who allegedly found Cheryl. Instead, it reveals new information not reported in previous article:

Accused Killer Returns 41 Years Later to Answer Murder Charge in Warner Robins
"At 1:10 a.m. [on Wed., 11/12/1975], White's body was found [by 2 men who went to check on her]. Her throat was cut and she had been stabbed 15 times, in her throat, arms and side. Neighbors said they heard a scream and saw a man flee from her apartment into the woods."

http://www.macon.com/news/local/crime/article141171103.html

Well, what else don't we know? I think that there was a love triangle that enraged Mary Jean. (But, that's just my opinion.)

Maybe MJ came back to the apartment unexpectedly, because she suspected that her boyfriend might be there (would explain her "uneasy feeling"). She burst in on Cheryl and the boyfriend. Cheryl screamed, and the boyfriend ran out of the apartment and into the woods. MJ grabbed any old knife from the kitchen and stabbed Cheryl (the "boyfriend's knife" that she claimed she tossed in trash was a red herring, IMO.) She then tossed out the knife she used to kill Cheryl.

She called the estranged husband from the apartment. He came, picked her up, and they went to a bar.

My theory.

I wanted to make sure you had seen the update. The former roommate was arrested in the middle of March in San Antonio. I'd like to think that Cheryl assisted. Forty years later, the murderous demon was picked up on the day before what would have been Cheryl's 57th birthday. Stewart is in the Houston County jail right now. The site is searchable and you can see the charges against her. By the way, I live in your old neighborhood.

Thank you, yes. I did see the update on my High School reunion facebook page. Nothing since, except that someone posted that she was released on bail. Need to check further on that. She might flee.

Noticed on Houston Co. Superior Court website, filing #9 dated 1/3/19 for this case = motion for further discovery.

I hope this goes to court soon, for whatever got her arrested. It has been almost 2 years since arrest. Charge is felony murder against Mary Jane Stewart, the “roommate”.

Last edited:
Woman indicted in 1975 cold case dies before trial

Georgia news outlets report that 16-year-old Cheryl White and then 18-year-old Mary Jane Stewart were roommates living in an apartment complex in the city of Warner Robins when White was found stabbed to death on the morning of Nov. 12, 1975.

It took decades to build the case but Stewart was arrested in White's death in 2017 in Texas and released on bond. Trial had been set for May.

But, authorities only recently learned that the 61-year-old Stewart died in hospice care in October.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back