Bear shot by hunter bites back, dies

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
A black bear bit and clawed a hunter who had just shot it four times in what game authorities said appeared to be a first for the state.

Samuel H. Beauchamp, 47, said he was approaching the downed 320-pound bear in Rothrock State Forest in central Pennsylvania on Monday, the first day of bear-hunting season, when it came after him.

Beauchamp, of nearby Newville, had just shot the bear with a .444-caliber rifle and was within 15 feet of it. He turned to run, but the bear put a claw around his hip and bit him twice, once in each thigh, before dying.

"The bear wasn't attacking 100 percent. I mean really, it was dead on its feet when it came up. If it would have been 100 percent I wouldn't have been standing there," Beauchamp said Friday.

Other hunters heard a growl and came to Beauchamp's aid.

"It was shock at first. It's like he came alive, like 'boom.' I guess he growled, like the other people heard. That motivated me to turn around and start running away," he said.

Game commission bear biologist Mark Ternent said the attack was the first case known to state officials in which a bear had attacked a hunter who had just shot it and was attempting to recover it.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/11/25/bear.attack.ap/index.html

Good for the bear :clap:

The guy is murdering it... I'm glad he got to bite him :snooty:

Poor thing :(

Too bad the bear didn't do even more damage to the guy. :furious:

I am pleading very ignorant here. I never even knew that bear hunting existed in this country! What is the purpose? What do they do with the bear after they kill it? Do people eat bear? I spend time writing to Walmart corporate headquarters over the treatment of freaking beta fish, and people are out shooting bears??

Bears have no natural predators besides man, so they must be hunted in order to keep the population under control, which is in the best interest of the species, for obvious reasons.

The coats are often used for things, and they can be eaten, although they taste horrid I have heard. Dunno about the rest of them.

Thier gallbladders & claws are used in chinese medicines.. etc..

Dark Knight said:
Bears have no natural predators besides man, so they must be hunted in order to keep the population under control, which is in the best interest of the species, for obvious reasons.

The coats are often used for things, and they can be eaten, although they taste horrid I have heard. Dunno about the rest of them.

You're a religious person, it seems. So you should know the rule: Thou sall not kill. Not: Thou shall not kill humans.

I think the animals are realizing they need to fight back. Lots of stories like this lately.
I watched "War of the Worlds" the other night. When I saw all of the people hiding from the aliens in fear because they were being hunted, I thought that this is how the animals must feel.
It must be hell being out with your family for breakfast in a beautiful, peaceful field only to get blown away... jmo...

ember said:
You're a religious person, it seems. So you should know the rule: Thou sall not kill. Not: Thou shall not kill humans.

I think the animals are realizing they need to fight back. Lots of stories like this lately.
I watched "War of the Worlds" the other night. When I saw all of the people hiding from the aliens in fear because they were being hunted, I thought that this is how the animals must feel.
It must be hell being out with your family for breakfast in a beautiful, peaceful field only to get blown away... jmo...
Yes I am religious so I know the bible says were given dominion over all the animals. And I also know that Jesus and the apostles ate fish that obviously had to have been killed. I have seen what happens when a population of an animal overwhelms the ecosystem, and it isn't a pretty sight, and it is inhumane to allow it to occur.

ETA: In places where animals have a natural predator besides man, it is prolly even more hell to be out eating breakfast, etc. and then chased down and torn to shreds and probably eaten alive.

Dark Knight said:

Thanks for your response, and I'm not trying to force you into the role of resident bear expert! That article just really took me by surprise. I'm not in "bear" country I guess, but I asked my husband and he didn't realize there was actually a bear season either. I had never heard anything about their populations being in need of control. I would hope its not just another animal being killed for sport instead of a true need or reason. I eat meat..not much red, and felt really odd feeling the need to launch a campaign of sorts regarding the beta fish at my local walmart floating dead in their containers and stacked on top of one another so that the air holes in the lids were completely obstructed. After two rounds of letters, and receiving calls from local managers telling me the problem would be handled, they seem to have finally fixed it. I did mention to them that I don't own fish, and love to eat fish, just don't enjoy seeing anything slowly and/or needlessly suffering. Can you tell it's a slow day in tompettyfanland?

tompettyfan said:
I am pleading very ignorant here. I never even knew that bear hunting existed in this country! What is the purpose? What do they do with the bear after they kill it? Do people eat bear? I spend time writing to Walmart corporate headquarters over the treatment of freaking beta fish, and people are out shooting bears??

Did Walmart respond to you? I literally grieve every single time I see those poor Beta fish.....it makes me sick.

Dark Knight said:

Thank you DK for answering like this. Yes, bear can be eaten, particularly if it is a fairly young one who has been corn fed (eating from farmers' corn fields). The hind quarters are sometimes smoked (hickory is good) and sliced. Tastes much like ham. The hides can be used in several ways including tanning and as rugs. They are also cool standing in a corner by an antique gasoline pump with a "Bubba" t-shirt and cap. :D

I'm in WV and we have bear-hunting here in our state. I agree that hunting is required to maintain lower populations, but I think the biggest reason is that people are encroaching on natural habitats of these animals - they move into populated areas and become a nuisance. I think the general rule around here is to catch and tag a nuisance bear and relocate it to an unpopulated area. If it returns (they can tell by the tag) it is destroyed. It's a sad situation. I am an animal lover, but I agree that hunting is a necessity in our world today.

My dad killed a bear years ago and the rug is across a bed at my parent's home. (I named him Ben.) I thought the meat was good. Thank goodness it didn't rear up and bite him!

Some people enjoy killing animals. Sic. Im glad the bear bite him. A judge in NJ gave the green light to kill mama bears. Even though cubs will be left behind. Coldhearted.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305
Back