GUILTY CO - Jim Price, 63, killed by texting driver, Highlands Ranch, 23 Nov 2005

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
A 17-year-old likely will face misdemeanor charges after allegedly losing control of his car while text messaging and hitting a bicyclist.

The bicyclist, Jim R. Price of Highlands Ranch, died Friday, two days after the accident.

"We do not believe it was an intentional act, but it was inattentiveness to the roadway," said Lt. Alan Stanton, spokesman for Douglas County Sheriff's Office.

"The investigation showed that he was text-messaging on his cell phone" at the time of the accident, said Stanton.

The driver could face a charge of careless driving resulting in death, Stanton said. Under Colorado law, the teen could face up to a year in prison.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/11/26/national/main1075759.shtml

Hi Cass!

I think the consequences should be steeper for this boy. That said, I see people text messaging in their cars all the time!
I just hand my phone to my kids and dictate what I need them to send!

Me too Idaho, involuntary manslaughter or something like that.

I know he didn't mean to kill the victim, I hope he realizes how lucky he is to get off so lightly and learns from it all :slap:

They're going to have to start heavily regulating the types of distractions in people's cars. Although IQ tests would be a good idea as well. Driving while text-messaging? He might as well have been making a sandwich or reading the newspaper.

I know a girl who claimed she routinely put on her makeup while she was driving to work! I drove part of the same route she took, and I always tried to stay a distance away from her. Though if you didn't know she did that, you couldn't tell by her driving.

From February 2006:

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_3482506

A Mountain Vista High School senior will spend spring break in jail and at least 300 hours trying to persuade other teenagers to pay more attention to the road than their cellphones.

The 17-year-old's carelessness the day before Thanksgiving caused him to swerve into a bicycle lane and hit retired geologist Jim R. Price...

On Monday, the teenager pleaded guilty to careless driving causing death, which could have led to a jail sentence of five years.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back