TX - Lillian Stiles, 76, mauled to death by dogs, Thorndale, 26 Nov 2005

IdahoMom

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
:( Minding her own business, and in her own yard! What a terrible way to go...

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/11/27/D8E50T001.html

SNIP

A pack of six dogs mauled a 76-year-old woman to death as she worked in her yard, authorities said.

Lillian Loraine Stiles was riding on a lawn mower in her front yard Saturday when she was confronted by the dogs, described as pit bull- rottweiler mixed breeds, said Milam County Sheriff Charlie West.

Investigators think Stiles was attacked when she got off the mower and headed into her house. Stiles had severe bites over her entire body, and a man who tried to help her was bitten on one leg, authorities said.

What a horrible story!! Again an owner with pit bulls, even though mixed. I hope the owner not only gets sued, but gets some prison time. Maybe then people will realize it's not worth owning those kinds of dogs.

This is too close to home for me, literally.

The problem is in the rural areas there are not the leash and fencing laws for dogs that there are in the city. Owners just let their dogs run, and they form packs and maul children or even adults. No one with a pit bull type dog should let it run loose IMO.

Omg...what a horrible way to die. That poor woman, had to have suffered so. Thats why I do not go for walks anymore, because I see stray dogs all the time. Its ridiculous, when you can't even walk for exercise anymore. People need to be held accountable for their animals.

6 dogs constitutes a pack.. it is very well known that packs can be very dangerous... one dog starts it , the others help to finish it.

In my fenced in back yard, I have a 1/2 Rottweiler and 1/2 Pit Bull mix.. She has never been out of our back yard except for her shots... I don't allow kids to go back there unless I am with them as she is a large dog... she has never shown any tendancy to bite, attack, but with dogs and kids... you never leave them unsupervised.

:( Poor woman what hope did she have against 6 of the bloody things.pitbull rottweiller cross?can anyone think of a worse cross breeding.I dont understand why anyone owning the dogs would not keep them secured after all the news about attacks .wonder if its another case of they wouldnt hurt a fly.:razz:

Gabby said:
6 dogs constitutes a pack.. it is very well known that packs can be very dangerous... one dog starts it , the others help to finish it.

In my fenced in back yard, I have a 1/2 Rottweiler and 1/2 Pit Bull mix.. She has never been out of our back yard except for her shots... I don't allow kids to go back there unless I am with them as she is a large dog... she has never shown any tendancy to bite, attack, but with dogs and kids... you never leave them unsupervised.
GABBY if everyone was like you their wouldnt be a problem.but that only happens in a perfect world.

aussiegran said:
GABBY if everyone was like you their wouldnt be a problem.but that only happens in a perfect world.

Which is why I only have ONE of them... I take care of her, she is fed well, played with and spoiled totally rotten..

I have three Boston Terriers... I don't leave children alone with them unsupervised either, and I trust my Bostons... it is not a good idea to ever forget a dog is an animal, and it has animal instincts.

This pack of dogs killing this woman is deplorable. Jesus, we can't even walk anymore.

soooooooo........ is it really getting to the point where everyone has to have a gun whenever stepping outside of your house, in order to protect yourself (and your pets) from these monsters???

at some point the laws are going to HAVE to happen, in every city. it's gotten to the point where there are just WAy too many vicious dogs and WAY too many people (and animals) getting hurt and dying horrible deaths. PB lovers can argue that "more poodles bite people than pit bulls"... but, HELLO-- when have you ever heard of a roaming pack of poodles killing someone???

reb said:
soooooooo........ is it really getting to the point where everyone has to have a gun whenever stepping outside of your house, in order to protect yourself (and your pets) from these monsters???

at some point the laws are going to HAVE to happen, in every city. it's gotten to the point where there are just WAy too many vicious dogs and WAY too many people (and animals) getting hurt and dying horrible deaths. PB lovers can argue that "more poodles bite people than pit bulls"... but, HELLO-- when have you ever heard of a roaming pack of poodles killing someone???

Pack is the key word here...

I have of these dogs... and I am responsible. I keep mine locked behind a fence...don't leave kids alone with her and make sure she is current on her shots. also, she is gentle because she was raised that way... she has been a great pet to me and to my husband - - but we keep the grandkids even the 12 yr old away from her.

right, but unfortunately it seems the majority of people who own this type of dog are NOT the responsible type, which ruins it for EVERYONE-- from the innocent victims to the responsible owners!

reb said:
right, but unfortunately it seems the majority of people who own this type of dog are NOT the responsible type, which ruins it for EVERYONE-- from the innocent victims to the responsible owners!

Reb I have to agree wtih you on that... I just wanted you to know that I have one of these dogs and that all pet owners are not irresponsible (me) like the ones you hear about... Any time dogs run in a pack, and they are pack animals, it can create a dangerous situation... otherwise nice friendly dogs can change for the worst

i agree, and i do feel bad for current PB/rott owners who ARE like you... i just don't know what other solution there is, and it's sad that society has come to this. there are just too many drug dealers, thugs and other assorted idiots who want these dogs to feel like a macho bad-*ss, and it's really gotten out of control. maybe a compromise would be that the people who have their dogs current on shots, fixed, & have a secure fence, and only have one or maybe 2 can be allowed to keep, but they must check in with animal control once a year, or perhaps apply for an be issued a special type of tag.. but no one can be allowed to get NEW dogs of this type... and this also would mean that the pound would have to start putting all of these breeds to sleep (and i assume that a lot of them do already).
then anyone caught having more than the alloted number, or an unfixed one, or one NOT in a secure fence, etc.. would have to pay a hefty fine AND fix the problem.

but can you imagine how a city would be able to keep up with this?? most can't even afford to take care of all the child abuse cases and things like that.

sad, but i don't see any other way out of the madness....??

I wonder if there's any way animal control can be more involved here - this seems to be a case where someone should have seen the pack of dogs, and called animal control to come pick them up. Although it does depend if the town has any leash laws or anything - if not, the town has set up this problem, and they have to either change the laws or live with it.

why are these dogs so mean, is it something in their blood? We took one home one time because a friend needed us to watch it, it was about 6 months old and i swear i was so afraid this is before i had kids and that dog jumped at my cousin and attacked her and my hubby had the grab it by its neck and slam it down, needless to say it went home ASAP......

michelle said:
why are these dogs so mean, is it something in their blood? We took one home one time because a friend needed us to watch it, it was about 6 months old and i swear i was so afraid this is before i had kids and that dog jumped at my cousin and attacked her and my hubby had the grab it by its neck and slam it down, needless to say it went home ASAP......
Wow, that was intense Michelle...I think what is happening with these dogs is what happned during the dalmation craze in the 90s. I don't know if you recall, but when that movie hit the theaters every kid wanted a dalmation and back yard breeders were coming out everywhere trying to make a quick buck while not knowing anything about breeding. In my neighborhood personally, there were multiple attacks by dalmations and I'm sure it had something to do with these unknowlegable breeders. I wonder what has been done in cities/counties to control backyard breeders and if this is something that has worked as far as dog attacks/bites go?

I saw this lady's picture in the paper today, and she looked like a really nice, sweet, grandmotherly very active and full of life woman. Very sad, and sad for her family; I'm sure she had lots of years to look forward to with her grandchildren.

Marthatex said:
I saw this lady's picture in the paper today, and she looked like a really nice, sweet, grandmotherly very active and full of life woman. Very sad, and sad for her family; I'm sure she had lots of years to look forward to with her grandchildren.

I agree. I have had so many emails wanting me to rescue this atrocious dogs. I won't. People are always more importent, never forget that point. I love dogs but not at the point of human sacrifice.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Witchee
Back