5054DMID.jpg

Date of Birth: April 27, 1951
Race: White
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 140 lbs.
Hair Color: Black/receding hairline
Eye Color: Brown
Nickname/Alias: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: He has a scar on his forehead.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/5054dmid.html

I have often thought that Amon resembles the MO/Pemiscot County male UP 14552 who was shot and killed, along with his companion, in June of 78. The victim and Amon are same height and weight. Both have a forehead scar. I have mentioned Amon prior in that particular thread.

Well that's not much info at all! Where was he last seen and by whom? :(

I would think this scar would be a giveway...i wonder who reported him missing? Maybe he ran off to start a new life. The second photo of him reminds me of the male victim from the 1978 arkansas/missouri killing of a couple i mentioned above...same height..weight..age..and scar....just a thought.

5054DMID.jpg
5054DMID1.jpg

Name: Matt Thomas Amon
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: August 11, 1971
Location Last Seen: Pocatello, Bannock County, Idaho
[h=2]Physical Description[/h] Date of Birth: April 27, 1951
Race: White
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 140 lbs.
Hair Color: Black/receding hairline
Eye Color: Brown
Nickname/Alias: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: He has a scar on his forehead.
[h=2]Identifiers[/h] Dentals: Not Available
Fingerprints: Available
DNA: Available
[h=2]Clothing & Personal Items[/h] Clothing: Unknown
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown
[h=2]Circumstances of Disappearance[/h] Matt was last seen in Pocatello, Idaho.
[h=2]Investigating Agency(s)[/h] Agency Name: Pocatello PD
Agency Contact Person: Det. Sgt. Nathan Diekemper
Agency Phone Number: 208-234-6139
Agency E-Mail: ndiekemper@pocatello.us
Agency Case Number: 14-P09661
NCIC Case Number: M882046994
NamUs Case Number: 24911
[h=2]Information Source(s)[/h] NamUs
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
North American Missing Persons Network
Idaho Missing Persons Clearinghouse

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/5054dmid.html

I would think this scar would be a giveway...i wonder who reported him missing? Maybe he ran off to start a new life. The second photo of him reminds me of the male victim from the 1978 arkansas/missouri killing of a couple i mentioned above...same height..weight..age..and scar....just a thought.

How do I find the case you are referencing in Alabama? Matt was a good friend of mine and disappeared after an altercation in Pocatello idaho. I tried to visit him 3 times in the county jail and they denied me each time.

How do I find the case you are referencing in Alabama? Matt was a good friend of mine and disappeared after an altercation in Pocatello idaho. I tried to visit him 3 times in the county jail and they denied me each time.

Since that post about the MO/AR couple, they have been recently identified, so it's not Matt.
Just to clarify and to make sure I'm reading this correctly, was Matt in jail right before he disappeared? Or was he in jail when he disappeared? Thank you.

The last time I seen him was when they were hauling him to jail and they denied me visiting three times. He was sentenced 2 days after the arrest but held for a mental evaluation. I never seen or heard from him after that.

The last time I seen him was when they were hauling him to jail and they denied me visiting three times. He was sentenced 2 days after the arrest but held for a mental evaluation. I never seen or heard from him after that.

Do you have any idea if he were released from jail after he was being held?

Was he released? why mental evaluation and the denials of the visit?

Yes, the male I mentioned prior has been identified as jimmy Hendricks since my last post in Feb. Gmashan, what else can you tell us about Matt?

Found a couple of articles on his arrest (Sun, July 11/71) and conviction (Wed, July 14/71) which, to paraphrase, sounds like he was charged with the 'indecent' crime of being something of a long haired hippie.

He's listed as having been last seen exactly a month later on Aug 11/71 in Pocatello. Oddly, I can't find any mention of his disappearance in the press?

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but there was a big prison riot at the 'Old Pen' in Boise on Aug 10/71. Two inmates died, and two buildings burnt down including the medical building.

Attachments

• Idaho_State_Journal_Fri__Jul_16__1971_ (1).pdf
    703.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at 5.27.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at 5.27.14 PM.png
    146.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at 5.28.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at 5.28.22 PM.png
    373.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Idaho_State_Journal_Fri__Jul_16__1971_.pdf
    626.4 KB · Views: 12
Good find LW4. Wish we knew who reported him missing and if Soc Security # has ever been used.

Do we know if matt had family? Maybe after the arrest, he was released and left town. Looks like a minor offense....

Matt's picture in the 1968 Pocatello High School Yearbook-
PSX-20190315-214811.jpg

The yearbook photo that accompanies his missing person profile is from 1967.

According to speculation on Facebook (so knows whether there is any truth to it) -
He is described as a Pied Piper of young people in the 1968-1971 period.
He is described as having a heart of gold.
Matt was using heroin, as well as selling acid.

I wonder if matt just took off to start a new life? Curious if his family or friends heard of any leads or sightings since?

It is entirely possible that decided to leave Pocatello after he was released. Perhaps he wanted a fresh start in a less conservative place, or decided to leave for his own good. My problem with this theory is that we don't know what his relationship was like with his family and whether he would leave without letting them know or contacting them at a later date.

From Facebook, the people who have stated they were friends with him have had no contact with him since around the time he went missing and the general consensus is that he was a victim of a homicide though no specific details are given as to why this is the most prevalent theory.

Perhaps it is also possible that if he was a heroin user he overdosed. If he didn't have access to it while in custody, his tolerance would have decreased. If this happened while he was with someone else, they may have panicked and hidden his body somewhere.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissawilkinson44
Back