Live cams across Washington DC

Status
Not open for further replies.
my sister is there. she says it has been mostly peaceful protest, no the mob scene the media is showing. and she says the mobs are anarchists. media twisting things for ratings.

Anarchy two blocks from the White House: More than 200 are arrested as riot police teargas masked mob of Trump haters smashing stores and burning cars

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4141514/Riot-police-tear-gas-masked-mob-Trump-haters.html

Officers arrested 217 protesters, CBS affiliate WUSA reports. Six police officers were hurt during the protests, including three who were hit in the head with flying objects. All of them have minor injuries.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-trump-inauguration-protest-damages-downtown-washington/

Anarchy two blocks from the White House: More than 200 are arrested as riot police teargas masked mob of Trump haters smashing stores and burning cars

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4141514/Riot-police-tear-gas-masked-mob-Trump-haters.html

Officers arrested 217 protesters, CBS affiliate WUSA reports. Six police officers were hurt during the protests, including three who were hit in the head with flying objects. All of them have minor injuries.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-trump-inauguration-protest-damages-downtown-washington/

Anarcists. Not protesters. And my white suburban sister is there and say she saw hardly any of that and was not scared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ooh, that DailyMail in the UK is absolutely fascinated with misbehaving Americans. I do read their links when posted on Websleuths - because you can rely on DailyMail to get pictures and quotes and interviews that American press won't print, or frankly are too lazy to go after. But the DailyMail's bread and butter is Americans Behaving Badly. :(

Anarcists. Not protesters. And my white suburban sister is there and say she saw hardly any of that and was not scared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobody in those pictures looks scared. The bystanders are hanging around looking at their cell phones or just watching.

Whether the people there causing damage are labeled anarchist they were there to protest, that makes them protestors. Yes there were those there holding signs( against) on the route of the parade that were peaceful, but nor all were peaceful as far as their mouths. jmo The link from the dailymail showing the rioting protestors did happen, but far from the parade route. DC is a big city, because someone that lives/works there and didn't see any protesting/rioting doesn't mean it didn't happen. Living in baltimore city with the rioting early in 2016 on the west side I didn't see anything on the east side, without the news I wouldn't have known it happened. jmo idk

Whether the people there causing damage are labeled anarchist they were there to protest, that makes them protestors. Yes there were those there holding signs( against) on the route of the parade that were peaceful, but nor all were peaceful as far as their mouths. jmo The link from the dailymail showing the rioting protestors did happen, but far from the parade route. DC is a big city, because someone that lives/works there and didn't see any protesting/rioting doesn't mean it didn't happen. Living in baltimore city with the rioting early in 2016 on the west side I didn't see anything on the east side, without the news I wouldn't have known it happened. jmo idk

seems like this disussion happens every time - the vast majority of protesters were there to peacefully voice their opinion, the people that were there in masks and committing crimes are most accurately described by the terms anarchists and criminals, not protesters. insisting on calling them protesters is usually done by people that want to try to lump them in with all the rest of the peaceful people that were there in an effort to condemn all of them.

99% of the people protesting in washington this weekend will do nothing illegal, it has nothing to do with "interrupting the peaceful transition of power", and they are participating in something that has gone on since the founding of this country and should never be discouraged.

seems like this disussion happens every time - the vast majority of protesters were there to peacefully voice their opinion, the people that were there in masks and committing crimes are most accurately described by the terms anarchists and criminals, not protesters. insisting on calling them protesters is usually done by people that want to try to lump them in with all the rest of the peaceful people that were there in an effort to condemn all of them.

99% of the people protesting in washington this weekend will do nothing illegal, it has nothing to do with "interrupting the peaceful transition of power", and they are participating in something that has gone on since the founding of this country and should never be discouraged.

bbm Whether of not they are labeled anarchists they were there to protest, I never insinuated that they were the same as the sign holders. Regardless of their motives for being there they were there to protest. jmo

bbm I didn't say they would.

eta
When I worked for a company and was in a union they went on strike, when I participated in the strike and walked out front of the company with a sign I was a protestor. There are all kinds of protestors.

I agree with the first part of your post that the vast majority of protesters were there peacefully and though I may not agree with their opinions I 100% agree with their right to express their opinion.

I however don't think protesters and anarchists are mutually exclusive.

I agree with the first part of your post that the vast majority of protesters were there peacefully and though I may not agree with their opinions I 100% agree with their right to express their opinion.

I however don't think protesters and anarchists are mutually exclusive.

i didnt say they were, i said that they arent most accurately described by the term "protester" - especially when it seems that people willfully do so in an effort to lump them all in together, to condemn a large group by the actions of a few.

i didnt say they were, i said that they arent most accurately described by the term "protester" - especially when it seems that people willfully do so in an effort to lump them all in together, to condemn a large group by the actions of a few.

I must have missed the post that condemned the entire group of protesters. There are peaceful protesters and violent protesters.

§ 22–1322. Rioting or inciting to riot.

https://beta.code.dccouncil.us/dc/council/code/sections/22-1322.html

§ 22–3312.03. Wearing hoods or masks.

https://beta.code.dccouncil.us/dc/council/code/sections/22-3312.03.html

I hope they are all charged accordingly. jmo

They were charged with felony rioting.

[FONT=&quot]Federal prosecutors say most of the approximately 230 protesters arrested on Inauguration Day will be charged with felony rioting.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The U.S. Attorney's Office says the offense is punishable by up to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000. The people who were arrested are appearing in court on Saturday in Washington.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/34312779/the-latest-some-trump-protesters-to-face-rioting-charges
[/FONT]

Just got back from the march in my city. It was wonderful. The police estimate the crowd to have been 75000-100000, which isn't bad for a city with a population of around 220000! There were women, children and men of all ages and races. And some hilarious signs. I mean, you have to laugh, or else you cry, right? :) It was a bright spot in what is a very dark time. So glad I went.

Anarchists and rioters give people who disagree with the actual message of the protesters a convenient reason to dismiss the message and movement. Look past the anarchists and rioters and listen to the message of the actual protesters.

As one who attended several large protests during the Vietnam era, you very quickly learn that there are all types of protesters. You also learned that it is easy to find yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time. You knew going in there was the possibility of being arrested.

But the vast majority of those arrested during a protest were not charged with a felony.

Just got back from the march in my city. It was wonderful. The police estimate the crowd to have been 75000-100000, which isn't bad for a city with a population of around 220000! There were women, children and men of all ages and races. And some hilarious signs. I mean, you have to laugh, or else you cry, right? :) It was a bright spot in what is a very dark time. So glad I went.

Glad you enjoyed your march. Were there any signs that critized Trump supporters & belittled them?

Good to hear. Is the 220k the city size or the metro area? That's a yuge bigly crowd. The Bay Area was having four with the largest in San Francisco, Oakland, and San Jose, and the Santa Cruz area was having two marches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie