Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sillybilly

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
We are on Day 5 in the trial of Douglas Garland, accused in the murders of 5 year old Nathan O'Brien and his grandparents, Kathy and Alvin Liknes in June of 2014.

attachment.php

(image from CBC files)

Garland triple murder trial learns of bloody footprints found in Liknes home

[...]

Proceedings began on the fifth day of the trial with CPS Detective Clark Budd, who was a part of the Homicide Unit when it was called to investigate the triple murder. Budd told the court that he found a bloody footprint found in the garage of the home that did not match any of the shoes owned by the first responders or Jennifer O'Brien

[...]

Gallen told the court that no shoes were found on the Garland property, but a shoebox for a pair of shoes that could have matched the footprint was found at the scene.

She told the court that another officer purchased the same shoes so she could determine if they made the impressions

[...]

*Media, Maps & Timeline*

Rules Etiquette & Information

Nancy Hixt Twitter

Reid Fiest Twitter

Kevin Martin Twitter

Meghan Grant Twitter

Kathleen Petty Twitter

Val Fortney Twitter

Thread #1

Attachments

• liknes-nathan-o-brien-garland-trial.jpg
    liknes-nathan-o-brien-garland-trial.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 799
Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 24m24 minutes ago
When asked if she knew if #Garland ever wore Delta 2 shoes Gallen says "i've seen a video so I don't know how to answer that." #Garland #yyc

Possibly surveillance where he may have made a purchase before the crime?

Nancy Hixt ‏@NancyHixt 46m46 minutes ago

Gallen testified- as far as she knows- police have no electronic confirmation of #Garland ever purchasing a pair of Delta 2 shoes at Walmart

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 2m2 minutes ago
#Garland trial resumes. Jury about to come in.

A response to my tweet asking what that statement meant:
When asked if she knew if #Garland ever wore Delta 2 shoes Gallen says "i've seen a video so I don't know how to answer that." #Garland #yyc

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 3m3 minutes ago

@cherchri54 I'm guessing this means she has seen video of him wearing them.. I am just guessing.

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 33s34 seconds ago
Shute said he then attended a traffice stop on Range Road 291. "Doug #Garland was in handcuff...sitting on side of road" #yyc

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 59s60 seconds ago
Det. Mike Shute talks about how the RCMP was set to go to the #Garland farm in the evening of July 4/14

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 1m1 minute ago
Purpose of search of #Garland residence was to hopefully be a rescue mission, says Shute.

RCMP emergency response team utilized to raid #Garland farm evening of July 4, 2014, Det. Shute says

Possibly surveillance where he may have made a purchase before the crime?

OMG! YES! I bet it's a video of him before the murders that they have and he is wearing THE SHOES, and they are going to show it later on! Maybe because it hasn't been shown yet she wasn't allowed to talk about it yet???? Omggggggg

@cherchri54 I'm guessing this means she has seen video of him wearing them.. I am just guessing.

You rock Cherchri!

I'm wary of the prosecutor in this case - which is not the norm for me. He / she started the trial by stating that Douglas had a "petty" grudge. That alone suggests that the prosecution has stepped outside of the true role of impartially presenting the facts to imposing an opinion of the facts. That's not the role of prosecutor in Canada. The People don't care what opinion the prosecutor has of the facts.

I am still waiting to hear why a concern about unethical business practices is "petty". I see a problem with Alvin's business practices and would never describe that as "petty". Because the prosecution is willing to attempt to impose an opinion of the facts on the jury at the outset, I think it's also possible that the prosecution may attempt to dramatize other facts. I have less trust of prosecutors who are unable to objectively present the facts of the case.

Re BBM
This really surprises me about the differences between Canada and US attorney litigation. I am beginning to like Canada's methods because a lot of the differences help keep costs down and also can work to get a more fair trial. That should be the goal here in the US and often times it is not because if you have a lot of money you can win your case just because you got a good lawyer. I wish the fairness of a trial can become the most important thing.

I almost could not believe this was even the case in Canada for this particular point because I have seen many US attorneys really try to sway the jury for their case. I dont know hardly anything about how Canada does it and found this point surprising and so I tried to look up about it and found below link. When I looked it up about this particular point I found something in there that seems to agree about this.
Its really interesting and surprising to me and Im beginning to like Canada methods about this in trials.

"Differences in legal ethics matter, too. In America, more than elsewhere, lawyers are encouraged to advance their client’s interests without regard to the interests of justice in the particular case or broader social concerns. American lawyers’ professional culture is unique in permitting and implicitly encouraging them to assert novel theories of recovery, coach witnesses, and wear down their opponents through burdensome pretrial discovery."

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/f-h-buckley-a-better-country-with-fewer-lawyers

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 1m1 minute ago
Shute said #Garland was cooperative and answered questions at the time of his arrest. Said there was a green Ford F150 nearby. #yyc

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 1m1 minute ago
"His demeanour was fine ... and he was cooperative at the time," Shute says of initial arrest of #Garland

#Garland arrested in traffic stop away from his family farm. Shute placed him under investigative detention for kidnapping.

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 2m2 minutes ago
Shute said #Garland was pulled over in a traffic stop near the farm-when Shute arrived Garland was in handcuffs

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 2m2 minutes ago
Shute said his role was to then take #Garland into custody for kidnapping. Shute identifies Doug as prisoner in courtroom. #yyc

Not meaning to over-post/re-post but "hopefully be a rescue mission" makes me so sad.

@KMartinCourts
"His demeanour was fine ... and he was cooperative at the time," Shute says of initial arrest of #Garland 

3:37 PM - 20 Jan 2017

@KMartinCourts
#Garland arrested in traffic stop away from his family farm. Shute placed him under investigative detention for kidnapping.

3:36 PM - 20 Jan 2017

@KMartinCourts
Purpose of search of #Garland residence was to hopefully be a rescue mission, says Shute.

3:35 PM - 20 Jan 2017

@KMartinCourts
RCMP emergency response team utilized to raid #Garland farm evening of July 4, 2014, Det. Shute says

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 2m2 minutes ago
At that time #Garland was at Westwinds being interviewed, according to Shute. #yyc

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 3m3 minutes ago
Shute confirmed there were no bodies found on the #Garland farm on the evening of July 4/14

Shute said they then secured the residence to maintain continuity of scene and wait for search warrant. #Garland #yyc

Shute said no bodies were found July 4 '14 on the #Garland farm. #yyc

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 3m3 minutes ago
Shute said he was told "there was a burn barrel still smoldering on the farm" #Garland

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 4m4 minutes ago
Shute said he attended #Garland farm shortly after 8 p.m. Said he observed a burn barrel smouldering, outbuilding w bag or handcuffs+baton

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 5m5 minutes ago
#Garland was cooperative when he was arrested-Shute said he was in the green ford truck when arrested

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 5m5 minutes ago
Shute said they were doing it as a "life saving measure" to enter the farm w/o warrant. #Garland #yyc

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 6m6 minutes ago
While Shute is detaining #Garland, the ERT was made clear they'd be entering farm w/o search warrant. #yyc

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 45s45 seconds ago
Justice Gates adjourning early because he has to be in Whitehorse for a pretrial application on an upcoming jury trial there. #Garland

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 1m1 minute ago
Shute is done being questioned by the crown. Cross will happen Monday. Court is adjourned for today. #Garland #yyc

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 3m3 minutes ago
Police found a bag on the #Garland farm containing handcuffs and a billy club, Det. Shute says.

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 4m4 minutes ago
Shute said he was also told of a bag with handcuffs/billy club/baton inside #Garland

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 4m4 minutes ago
"There was a burn barrel still smouldering on the property," Det. Shute says of July 4, 2014, search of #Garland farm.

I would have to go back to the questioning of Doug's parents but did either set of lawyers get a timeline of where the parents were after the disappearance? I know they were around on the night of the disappearance and the next morning but what happened to them after that?

Were they on the farm on July 4 when Doug was arrested and police arrived to search the property? If not, where were they?

OMG! YES! I bet it's a video of him before the murders that they have and he is wearing THE SHOES, and they are going to show it later on! Maybe because it hasn't been shown yet she wasn't allowed to talk about it yet???? Omggggggg

IRC there was a lead to a strip mall alley. I wonder if that will be connected.

I would have to go back to the questioning of Doug's parents but did either set of lawyers get a timeline of where the parents were after the disappearance? I know they were around on the night of the disappearance and the next morning but what happened to them after that?

Were they on the farm on July 4 when Doug was arrested and police arrived to search the property? If not, where were they?

I don't recall that ever being reported or discussed ... based on my memory only, could be wrong or have missed it

My opinion about the weekly psychiatrist visits:
I work in mental health care in another Canadian province. My understanding is that weekly/biweekly visits used to be the norm in psychiatric care, but nowadays the model has changed to the psychiatrists doing much less frequent care or even just consults. However, I've noticed that patients who had been seen weekly for many, many years got to continue to continue their frequent visits.

My speculation: DG has been under psychiatric care for around 30 years, since the "breakdown" in university. An ongoing mental health condition would explain him still living with his parents and never holding down a job. I wonder if the nature of his psychiatric illness will come out in trial?
Just tossing this out there and I could be way off base. But often "breakdowns" that occur during college or this age group result in diagnosis of Schizophrenia...some of whom were highly intelligent. Reading this as happening to DG back then (during college), long term, and residing with his parents made me think of this area of mental illness. (not saying it is but....or what do you think or not).

Thanks for checking on that. I agree.
Maybe she saw a home video taken into evidence of him wearing what "looks like" shoes like that and may be brought out later but maybe the witness can only say they look like shoes like that and cant say for certain.

That could explain why they answered that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail