1098 users online (246 members and 852 guests)  

Websleuths News

McCartney boycotts China

London - Rock star Paul McCartney said on Monday he will never perform in China after watching a disturbing secret video of dogs and cats in a market being slaughtered for fur.

The video, from the German branch of the animal rights group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (Peta), shows caged dogs in wire cages being hurled from the top deck of a converted double-decker bus onto a concrete pavement at a market in southern Chinese.

In another piece of footage, cats are seen squirming inside a sack before being thrown into a vat of boiling water. Smiling, laughing workers are also filmed senselessly beating the animals to death.

The animals, including some Peta said appeared to have been stolen from their owners, were also seen being skinned for their fur to be used in garments for export aboard.

"This is barbaric. Horrific. It's like something out of the dark ages. And they seem to get a kick out of it. They're just sick, sick people," McCartney told BBC television in an interview to be aired on Monday.

"I wouldn't even dream of going over there to play, in the same way that I wouldn't go to a country that supported apartheid (in South Africa)," the former Beatle said. "This is just disgusting."

Story

I agree it is barbaric. However, I sincerely doubt all of China is involved. If he wants to judge an entire country by the acts of a few, he won't be preforming anywhere!

Just saw Sir Paul in Las Vegas this past Friday night. Great show!!!

I love when liberals get upset over the treatment of animals but seem unconcerned with the treatment of humans. Come on Sir Paul, what about forced abortion on the women of China?

Quote Originally Posted by Ella
    I love when liberals get upset over the treatment of animals but seem unconcerned with the treatment of humans. Come on Sir Paul, what about forced abortion on the women of China?

Yeah, because the problem is that liberals have inconsistent standards.

It's not like right-wingers have sold deadly weapons to every dictator on the planet - all the while talking about the supreme importance of "freedom."

But while we're talking about inconsistencies, what exactly is the difference between killing cats and dogs and killing pigs? Pigs are - by all objective standards - at least as smart and certainly as cognizant. And those who keep pigs say they make excellent pets.

And while I don't like forced abortions, either, I sure as hell prefer aborted fetuses to slowly starving babies. Now it may well be there were other even better alternatives, but let's don't assume Chinese authorities (or Indian ones) mandated abortions just for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by shopper
    Just saw Sir Paul in Las Vegas this past Friday night. Great show!!!
    Wow. We were just in Vegas. Where is he playing? For how long? How much were tickets??

Quote Originally Posted by nanandjim
    Wow. We were just in Vegas. Where is he playing? For how long? How much were tickets??
    Hi Nan, Paul was at the MGM last Friday and Saturday nights. I had thirty tickets for the 2 shows to sell with vacation packages to Vegas. I sold out in record time.

Paul speaks out on many issues. This is just one.

Thank you for correcting me. Liberals are always on the side of human life and protecting us from criminals. Liberals and the ACLU never side with criminals. China treats its animals no better than it treats its humans. I am a little more concerned about forced child labor than I am a cat. Of course Paul will not speak out about that because his designer daughter needs forced child labor to make her product. Children work seventeen hours a day for pennies to make their designer purses but thank God the purses are not made out of cat fur! I'm relieved.

Quote Originally Posted by nanandjim
    MGM Grand, both Friday and Saturday night. He's on tour right now, it's not a steady gig. The Rolling Stones were there a week or so ago and they'll be back at the MGM Grand in March, if that interests you.

The tickets weren't cheap, I assure you. But concerts are mine and dh's "thing". It's ridiculous what the tickets cost nowadays but we don't spend a lot of money on much else, especially hobbies and frivolous stuff, so we don't mind it too bad.