1498 users online (382 members and 1116 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,121

    Sharp eyes lead to arrest of suspected pedophile

    Last month, Pittsburgh police Detective Kenneth Wagner was watching surveillance video of a man and boy burglarizing a car wash. A month later, he was off duty and driving when he spotted a pickup truck in Brookline that looked familiar.

    There were distinctive stickers, a tow ball, a male driver and his young passenger. It was the same truck. After checking the license plate, Detective Wagner had the driver's name: Daniel A. Thomas.

    "He just happened behind it," burglary Sgt. Kevin Gasiorowski said. "Dumb luck."

    That stroke of serendipity, according to police, did more than break open a mere burglary case. At the Knoxville home Mr. Thomas, 44, shares with his mother, detectives found guns, drug paraphernalia, signs of identity theft and possible child pornography. Most disturbing, within hours of the arrest, detectives said, they grew to believe that Mr. Thomas was a pedophile.

    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05332/613539.stm

  2. #2
    SewingDeb's Avatar
    SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,968
    It's a good thing the perv missed the third video camera when he changed the cameras' positions. This guy has a lengthy record and should not have been on the streets at all.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    23,799
    Oh, this is sick!
    Threesomes with little boys. NAMBLA. 1993 convictions for rape and coruption of minors. Drugs. Burglary. This guy managed to hit a lot of crimes. I bet the victims for him are just starting to come out of the woodwork. Hard to tell how many this guy has hurt.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

    Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?


    "Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,121
    Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew
    Oh, this is sick!
    Threesomes with little boys. NAMBLA. 1993 convictions for rape and coruption of minors. Drugs. Burglary. This guy managed to hit a lot of crimes. I bet the victims for him are just starting to come out of the woodwork. Hard to tell how many this guy has hurt.
    I posted this comment on another thread, but I'll say the same thing here: If I had a terminal illness and knew I was going to die, I'd get a gun and go after each and every one of those NAMBLA monsters. That may sound harsh to some people, but I have some very personal reasons for feeling this way. These are very sick individuals who don't even recognize their own illness, they think that what they do is okay.

    Anyway, I was glad to read that this guy was caught and I agree with you, it's hard to tell how many kids this man has damaged.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,176
    Quote Originally Posted by Marilynilpa
    Last month, Pittsburgh police Detective Kenneth Wagner was watching surveillance video of a man and boy burglarizing a car wash. A month later, he was off duty and driving when he spotted a pickup truck in Brookline that looked familiar.

    There were distinctive stickers, a tow ball, a male driver and his young passenger. It was the same truck. After checking the license plate, Detective Wagner had the driver's name: Daniel A. Thomas.

    "He just happened behind it," burglary Sgt. Kevin Gasiorowski said. "Dumb luck."

    That stroke of serendipity, according to police, did more than break open a mere burglary case. At the Knoxville home Mr. Thomas, 44, shares with his mother, detectives found guns, drug paraphernalia, signs of identity theft and possible child pornography. Most disturbing, within hours of the arrest, detectives said, they grew to believe that Mr. Thomas was a pedophile.

    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05332/613539.stm
    Great. Molesting kids and training them to be sex toys and petty criminals. What did this guy think he was--Fagin?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    30,910
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
    Great. Molesting kids and training them to be sex toys and petty criminals. What did this guy think he was--Fagin?
    Looks like it! I am a huge Twist fan myself...I even have a ferret named Fagin!~

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    The South, USA
    Posts
    2,405
    Mr. Thomas persuaded the neighbor of a relative in West Virginia to allow him to bring her 10-year-old son to Pittsburgh for visits.
    I understand from the article that men like Thomas are "silver-tongued," but how could anybody persuade a woman to let her 10-year-old son visit an older man. Grownup takes special interest in child -- RED FLAG!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4,530
    Ummm.... my 10 year old niece goes off to visit relatives in Sacramento, staying with and being picked up by my single bachelor uncle. He's just a good guy who never really got involved with dating much. Not everything is sexual, and I'd hate to live in a world where I couldn't accept good motives from someone.

    My uncle has always taken a special interest in his nieces, and now in his second generation of nieces, and his very first ever nephew. Nothing even close to ever went on - I'm one of the nieces.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    23,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E
    I understand from the article that men like Thomas are "silver-tongued," but how could anybody persuade a woman to let her 10-year-old son visit an older man. Grownup takes special interest in child -- RED FLAG!
    Because often a boy will look to a guy to do guy things with. And single mother's who find a guy to do guy things with her child, will allow them to, as then the child has a male role model. Often the father's are uninvolved or minimumly involved due to inclination or distance.
    These guys are usually good. They find out the child's interests, and they may suddenly develop the same interests. If the child is interested in riding 4 wheelers, they will supply a 4 wheeler. If the chld is intersted in gaming, they will supply a game system, and some cool games. If a child is interested in sports, they will offer to take them to games and other sporting events. Often they are friendly and attentive to the mother, helpful, and show they can be "safe" with the child.
    I remember when I first got divorced, my son was only a baby. How do you teach a boy potty training, teach him to stand up to pee, when he has no examples? Luckily my child was in a day care where that could be worked out. But there are lots of things in a boy's life where a male influence is desired.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

    Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?


    "Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,176
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E
    I understand from the article that men like Thomas are "silver-tongued," but how could anybody persuade a woman to let her 10-year-old son visit an older man. Grownup takes special interest in child -- RED FLAG!
    It happens all the time.
    If you're a single mother, overworked, underpaid, can't afford a babysitter, and your kid is a behavior problem, I can see where anyone willing to help out would be seen as a godsend. That's how these basatrds work--they zero in on the wounded gazelles in the herd. And that's what makes them truly evil--their willingness to exploit the weaknesses of fellow humans to feed their own lusts.


  11. #11
    SewingDeb's Avatar
    SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,968
    I've seen women in intact marriages let their young sons spend the day or even the night with grown men. I asked one woman about her letting her 9 year old spend the day with the local lifeguard (who approached her with the offer) and she said, "Why not, I trust him". She didn't know this guy at all other than at the pool and she was happy that he took such an interest in her son. Later that summer, the guy was arrested for buying alcohol for minors.

    I don't understand it myself. It is a big red flag and should be obvious to even the most overworked mom or dad.

  12. #12
    H0NEYWEST's Avatar
    H0NEYWEST is offline I have a .38 and an ocelot ~ they're both loaded
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    415
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05332/613539.stm

    "...Detectives said they could not pursue charges involving a sixth boy because the statute of limitations had run out..."

    Why is there a statute of limitation in these cases? What purpose does it serve?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    23,799
    Quote Originally Posted by H0NEYWEST
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05332/613539.stm

    "...Detectives said they could not pursue charges involving a sixth boy because the statute of limitations had run out..."

    Why is there a statute of limitation in these cases? What purpose does it serve?
    Statue of limitations is a big problem in this area. Think of kids subject to incest, where the parents who make the decisions about taking a child to LE are the perps. Think of the parents who learn of a child's abuse and don't report. The child often grows up with no treatment, and no option to prosecute when they are adults. Besides all of the kids who don't tell parents until many years later.
    A big problem.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

    Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?


    "Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

  14. #14
    SewingDeb's Avatar
    SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,968
    Quote Originally Posted by H0NEYWEST
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05332/613539.stm

    "...Detectives said they could not pursue charges involving a sixth boy because the statute of limitations had run out..."

    Why is there a statute of limitation in these cases? What purpose does it serve?
    I wonder the same thing. It takes some people a long time to even be able to tell anyone, much less press charges. Some states must not have this statute of limitations because Priests were charged many, many years after the fact. I think all states should drop it for child sexual abuse case.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,176
    Quote Originally Posted by SewingDeb
    I've seen women in intact marriages let their young sons spend the day or even the night with grown men. I asked one woman about her letting her 9 year old spend the day with the local lifeguard (who approached her with the offer) and she said, "Why not, I trust him". She didn't know this guy at all other than at the pool and she was happy that he took such an interest in her son. Later that summer, the guy was arrested for buying alcohol for minors.

    I don't understand it myself. It is a big red flag and should be obvious to even the most overworked mom or dad.
    Child molesters are very good at zeroing in on children with less-than-astute parents or guardians. Being naive/trusting of others is seen as a major weakness in their eyes, and one that allows them a great deal of access to children. For those parents who might be a bit more wary, they'll try grooming the parent as well as the child. If that doesn't work, they'll eventually move on to a kid who is easier prey. Plus, those adults who were molested as kids themselves seem to break down in over two categories: cautious and negligent, depending on the situation of their molestation. Children with negligent parents who failed to protect them will often grow up and be the same way, therby perpetuating the ugly cycle of abuse. Essentially, they don't know how to protect their children because no one protected them.



Similar Threads

  1. IN - Brent Sharp - pedophile/rapist?
    By Doyle in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-26-2016, 03:36 AM
  2. DNA found in soiled shorts lead to Denver burglarís arrest
    By tlcya in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-08-2015, 03:50 AM
  3. France - Police arrest 90 in pedophile web swoop
    By Donjeta in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-31-2009, 05:13 PM
  4. VT - MySpace photos lead to arrest in Philly Mt. Washington graffiti
    By dark_shadows in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-23-2007, 01:15 AM