Congress acts to let wounded soldier keep dog

Marilynilpa

Reaction score
This is the story of a soldier and her dog, and the act of Congress required to keep them together.

It began in July, when Air Force Tech. Sgt. Jamie Dana woke up, confused, in a hospital bed at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C.

Her last memory was riding in a military convoy in Iraq after she and her bomb sniffing dog, Rex, had searched a village. She remembered being in extreme pain. And she remembered asking frantically about Rex, eventually being told that he had not survived.

But she didn't know that the military had told her husband, fellow Air Force security officer Mike Dana, that she wasn't going to survive her injuries.

She didn't know that, after a bomb exploded under her Humvee, she spent more than a week in military hospitals in Iraq and Germany before arriving in Washington.

And she didn't know that Rex had survived the bombing with only a minor burn on his nose.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05332/613540.stm

It shouldn't take an act of congress for such a common sense thing! Give her the damn dog already!

Linda7NJ said:
It shouldn't take an act of congress for such a common sense thing! Give her the damn dog already!
--------------------

I just sent an email to the woman who wrote the article.I basically said the same as you.As a tax payer I want her to have the dog! Our govt. gives money to countries that dont even appreciate it and she has to go through red tape! That is not right.

What really sickens me is the government LEFT dogs behind in Vietnam & Korea, they would NOT allow soldiers to bring them home, they were expendable!

My father was forced to leave his k-9 behind, every time he talked of it, he cried...and my dad NEVER cried.

Linda7NJ said:
What really sickens me is the government LEFT dogs behind in Vietnam & Korea, they would NOT allow soldiers to bring them home, they were expendable!

My father was forced to leave his k-9 behind, every time he talked of it, he cried...and my dad NEVER cried.

OMG that is terrible. That breaks my heart and maybe our Armed Forces have learned from that. I hope so.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater
Back