Opinionated Southern Belle
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 1135DMMD

KHager.jpg
KHager1.jpg

Hager, circa 1947

Kenneth Warren Hager
Missing since April 9, 1947 from Baltimore, Maryland.
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics
  • Date Of Birth: May 23, 1935
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 11 years old
  • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'10"; 90 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown hair; brown eyes.
  • Marks, Scars: Hager has a scar on his head and has epilepsy.
  • Clothing: Hager was wearing a blue-gray overcoat with his name sewn into it, a navy blue and red skull cap, brown trousers, a white shirt with his name on it and gray tennis shoes.
  • Dentals: Missing a tooth

Circumstances of Disappearance
Kenneth Hager walked out the door at 1637 Lansing Avenue, Baltimore, Maryland after taking a piece of ice from his mother.

Hager had disappeared once before about 2 years prior to this disappearance. At that time he had made his way back to his old home located at 2100 block East Chase Street. He was found talking to a neighbor and had suffered what appeared to be cigarette burns from a person he described as a "bad boy".

He enjoyed cars and would, therefore, get into any car, if he was asked to.

He was spotted on a few occasions just after his disappearance. James Burdett, a streetcar motorman and a neighbor of the Hagers, recognized him at the corner of Dundalk and Eastern Avenues that afternoon. Also, a family friend of the Hagers told Mrs. Hager that in 1962 a young man about 26 or 27 was seen in a grocery store in Dundalk. He was unable to speak, but had handed her a grocery order to fill, and she did so. He never returned to the store and no one has seen or heard from him since.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

The Doe Network

Source Information:
Kenneth Warren Hager

Return to the Unexplained Disappearances' Index
Last Updated on: May 24, 2005

A total of 2348 Baltimoreans were reported missing to the Missing Persons Bureau during 1947, according to the annual report of Police Commissioner Hamilton R. Atkinson.

The number of persons under 21 totaled 1657.

The number of men and boys under 21-1472-reported missing, almost doubled the number of women-876.

Among the 31 young men and boys under 21 still missing, is Kenneth Hager, 11-year-old mentally handicapped youngster who disappeared April 9 while playing on the street near his home in the 1600 block of Lansing Avenue.

Four boys missing include: Robert Ladany Jr., 14, of the 600 block of South Lehigh street, who has been missing since October 25; Lawrence E. Peters, 15, reported missing from his home in the 200 block of South Gilmor street December 12; Joseph Redolfi, 17, of the 3700 block of Claremont Ave, missing since December 27; and Gordon T. Powell, 15, missing since December 13.

http://hometown.aol.com/kicbxnchick/

I wonder if any of the other boys missing that year were ever found?

What a sad story, that poor little boy.:(

It's been 60 years since then 11-year-old Kenny Hager walked out of his east Baltimore house never to be seen again.

Now, three of his siblings have given their DNA samples, hoping that perhaps a John Doe in the city morgue records will match and their six decades of uncertainty will finally be over.

"It's all my mother and father wanted to know before they passed away. Now we're not going to be on this earth that much longer. We need to know what happened to him," Kenny's brother Robert told Richard Sher.

http://wjz.com/local/local_story_306183241.html

One thing I don't understand is that while Kenneth apparently can't talk, he managed to tell his family "a bad boy" burned him. Could he write, or did he use sign language, or what?

A total of 2348 Baltimoreans were reported missing to the Missing Persons Bureau during 1947, according to the annual report of Police Commissioner Hamilton R. Atkinson.

The number of men and boys under 21-1472-reported missing, almost doubled the number of women-876.

Among the 31 young men and boys under 21 still missing, is Kenneth Hager, 11-year-old mentally handicapped youngster who disappeared April 9 while playing on the street near his home in the 1600 block of Lansing Avenue.

Four boys missing include: Robert Ladany Jr., 14, of the 600 block of South Lehigh street, who has been missing since October 25; Lawrence E. Peters, 15, reported missing from his home in the 200 block of South Gilmor street December 12; Joseph Redolfi, 17, of the 3700 block of Claremont Ave, missing since December 27; and Gordon T. Powell, 15, missing since December 13.

My grandpa was 16 when he decided to join the Navy and fight the good fight. Obviously, he was under age but he still did it. I bet that would account for why so many more males were missing than females. A lot probably ran away during the war to fight (against their parents wishes) and their parents knew this but then they didn't come back after the fact. My guess at least. What was it like post-war, I know the entire world's view on life changed (hence all the marriages and babies). Some of it may have to do with them wanting to do something better with their lives and again running off against their parents wishes.

WOW! What an interesting case. I clicked on it because I noticed he disappeared on my fathers 3rd birthday. I am going to do some research and post his story on my blogspot blog and my missing kids site. TY for posting, Kenneth's case.

I wonder if anything ever became of the DNA testing. It would be surprising to me if the authorities knew to keep such DNA evidence on John Does back in those days. I sure hope so.

I'd like to know just how mentally handicapped he truly was??
I know he could not speak, but did he understand what was happening in his surroundings, did he recognize people such as neighbors and other town people?

The epilepsy scares me though. I wonder if he had some sort of seizure that left him with loss of memory, scared and confused to the point that someone could hurt or take advantage of him in any way.
My 6 year old daughter has has had a few seizures and is now on meds to control them. She doesn't remember any of it afterwards at all. I always worry about her having one out in public alone.
Something like that could have happened to little Kenneth.

I wish there was a way to get in contact with "Desilita". She seems to have a lot of information about this case as well as contact with the family.
Doesn't look like she has been on that paticulsr site in awhile (2007)
I wonder if anything ever came of the DNA collected from the family?

I tried to register for the site with no luck.

family still searching. Here is a comment they left on my blog. Anonymous said...
Kenneth Hager is my uncle. My Mom is the youngest of his siblings (being born 11 years after he disappeared). My sister and I have strong hopes to find out some answers regarding his disappearance and have done everything we could to put his name out there.

Just came across this case. How awful for the family. I read in one of the links the father searched the streets for hours everyday for Kenneth until he retired. How heartbreaking.

I was really surprised there were that many missing people in the 40s!! I looked up all the names listed and didn't find any information about them so I'm hoping that means they were found. I did find information about a Lawrence E. Peters, it was on a military website for Navy personnel that were not recovered about WWII. I do not know if this is the same Lawerence E. Peters though. I would guess to say not since it says that he was 15 when he went missing. I don't know if this list is going missing in the same year as Kenneth or just still missing at the time. This Navy member was missing in '44.

Off topic but I thought it was interesting.

Kenneth Warren Hager
  • kenneth_warren_hager_1.jpg
  • kenneth_warren_hager_2.jpg
Kenneth, circa 1947

• Missing Since04/09/1947
  • Missing FromBaltimore, Maryland
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • SexMale
  • RaceWhite
  • Date of Birth05/23/1935 (84)
  • Age11 years old
  • Height and Weight4'10, 90 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionA blue/gray overcoat with Kenneth's name and address sewn into it, brown trousers, a white shirt with "Kenneth" printed on it, gray sneakers and a navy blue and red skullcap.
  • Medical ConditionsKenneth is mentally disabled and has severe epilepsy. He is unable to talk or take care of himself.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian male. Brown hair, brown eyes. Kenneth has a scar on his head. One of his front teeth is missing.
Details of Disappearance
Kenneth was last seen near his residence in the 1600 block of Lansing Avenue in Baltimore, Maryland on April 9, 1947 at 10:00 a.m. He asked for a piece of ice from his mother, then went outside. His family realized he was missing about forty-five minutes later.

That afternoon, Kenneth may have been sighted at the corner of Dundalk and Eastern Avenues. There were several possible sightings of him in the area shortly after his disappearance, but none were confirmed and Kenneth has never been heard from again.

Kenneth disappeared once before, about two years prior to 1947, and was found by police in downtown Baltimore. He had burn marks on his arm and said a "bad boy" had done it to him.

Before moving to their Lansing Avenue residence, the Kenneth family lived in the 2100 block of east Chase Street. Kenneth knew how to get there and had once wandered away and gone back to his old neighborhood. He likes to ride in cars but his family stated he would not get into one unless he was asked.

A distant relative of the Hager family thought she saw Kenneth at a Dunkalk, Maryland grocery store in 1962. This sighting was not confirmed and the man at the store has never been identified. Kenneth's case remains unsolved.

LINK:

Kenneth Warren Hager – The Charley Project

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodrigokurita