Sunny the red panda missing from Virginia Zoo, Norfolk, 24 Jan 2017

Indy Anna

Reaction score
Sunny was last seen at 5 p.m. Monday in its habitat at the zoo, officials said. But on Tuesday morning, when zookeepers were doing their first checks, Sunny was gone.
snipped
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rom-a-zoo-in-virginia/?utm_term=.301feeb26a36

Now, help me out here. Maybe I'm not complete awake yet. The preceding paragraph says she went missing sometime after Tues evening, but I think it should say after Monday evening.

Apparently, red pandas have a history of zoo escapes. Hope she will be found safe.

sunny2.jpg

The Virginia Zoo believes that Sunny is still somewhere on the property, but has asked locals near the zoo to keep an eye out for the escapee.
http://people.com/pets/sunny-the-re...rginia-zoo-staff-asking-for-help-in-recovery/

The Norfolk Police Department is using geothermal cameras to help search for Sunny, but the zoo asks anyone who spots the red panda to call their hotline at 777-7899.

I want a red panda, but I promise I didn't take Sunny - no matter how cute she is. I love that she's an "escapee" that's still "at large". [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OMG she is so cute, I want to hug her......... I just hope she stays safe while on her escapade.

Love may have driven away a 19-month-old red panda from the Virginia Zoo, but zoo staff are hoping she won’t be the one who got away.

Sunny the red panda slipped out of her enclosure along the zoo's "Asia - Trail of the Tiger" section sometime after 5 p.m. on Monday. Zookeepers noticed the female panda missing on Tuesday morning and started sweeping the zoo grounds.

Wednesday morning the search was still on. Where Sunny's gone is still a mystery, but there are some theories about why.
http://pilotonline.com/news/local/s...cle_830c82d3-6e75-5a57-b054-f88f418a39eb.html

BBM
I do not like that in the title it says that lust may have led to the panda's escape and in the first paragraph the word love is used instead. Love and lust are not the same, IMHO! :nono:

My other concern is: the panda exhibit being along the Trail of the Tiger ... I take it a tiger exhibit is nearby? :yow:

Red pandas aren’t aggressive or dangerous animals, but Bockheim said they’ve seen some of the Virginia Zoo’s pandas get snippy with one another.

“In one case we had an agitated female who when she had cubs, would push the male off limb,” Bockheim said.
:giggle:

The Virginia Zoo's highest-profile escapee wasn't a red panda, but Zeke the zebra, who wandered out of his exhibit in 2005 and somehow wound up in the lion enclosure. Zeke held his own in a brawl with one of America's largest lionesses and eventually was returned to his rightful exhibit.
Hopefully, the outcome for Sunny will be the same.

Also, read the comment by MM below the article. :hilarious:

http://pilotonline.com/news/local/s...cle_830c82d3-6e75-5a57-b054-f88f418a39eb.html

Or page? :candle:

Yes, I'm sure she's trying to raise money to build her dream house. All us girls want one. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

She's actually at my house in Little Rock. I've always wanted a red panda and an "escapee" who's "at large" is the perfect way to get one for free.

But seriously, go home Sunny. A life on the run is dangerous!

... Zoo staff posit that the behavior of her habitat mate, Thomas, may have caused Sunny to fall off a tree and out of their enclosure altogether.

“Monday night it was rainy and windy,” the site says. “Sunny may have been on a slippery branch while Thomas, the male red panda, was pursuing her and caused her to slip and fall.”
snipped
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/red-panda-sunny-virginia-zoo_us_58890edce4b061cf898c882c

So, foul play is possible. Will Thomas be charged? Stay tuned and find out!

(Hoping Sunny returns safely)

Has Thomas been named an AOI?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Has Thomas been named an AOI?

Well, the zoo staff certainly seem suspicious, and rightly so, as you should always start with the significant other. But I don't think he's been officially named, so we can't sleuth him yet.

(Really hope Sunny is found safe!)

Nice to be able to have a little fun!

Sunny and her life of fame! Before we know if she'll have a following like Colton Harris Moore telling her to keep running.

As much as this thread and the responses make me giggle, I really hope they trust she is still within the zoo boundaries and will be found soon! The wilderness of Virginia is no place for a red panda :( I hope they've pulled the surveillance video!

I've made a missing poster for her:

attachment.php

Attachments

• missingsunny.jpg
    missingsunny.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 192

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics