1083 users online (266 members and 817 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    14,165

    VA - Robin Lovitt - 1,000th US execution since 1977

    Lethal landmark for America's death penalty
    (Filed: 29/11/2005)

    Tomorrow will mark the 1,000th execution since 1977, writes Harry Mount in New York

    The modern era of capital punishment reaches a macabre milestone tomorrow with America's 1,000th execution since it reintroduced the death penalty in the 1970s.

    Barring a miraculous last minute pardon, Robin Lovitt, 41, will be executed tomorrow for the crime of fatally stabbing a man with scissors in a Virginia pool hall robbery in 1998.

    Were it not for the landmark it represents, Lovitt's death would be as unremarkable as that of those condemned to death before him - or even the murder of his victim.

    Over the past 28 years the United States has on average executed one person every 10 days.

    And the conveyor belt is so efficient that reports of executions are hidden inside the local papers.

    Indeed the condemned criminal's choice of menu for his last meal inspires as much interest as the method with which the sentence is carried out.

    More ... http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...9/wdeath29.xml

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    14,797
    I am just glad that the death penalty is available and used. Although it is infrequent.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    14,165
    Quote Originally Posted by concernedperson
    I am just glad that the death penalty is available and used. Although it is infrequent.
    Me too. I was surprised the total was already at 1,000 ... especially the way California leaves them sitting there for years!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,967
    can we do another 1,000 as soon as possible,, please.....???

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    30,910


    Let's hope the next 1000 goes far faster than the previous!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    26,910
    I agree! What's taking them so long? They've got at least another 1,000 who should be taken in ASAP!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7,119
    And way more than just 1,000 of those left on death row are child killers alone. The Carlie Brucia trial has totally made me believe perverts convicted of hurting/killing children should just be taken out immediately and killed. No long years on death row, no appeals, no painless deaths for them. They should be executed in the same manner their victims were.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,098
    I assume ya'll don't mind executing innocent people as well, since it becomes increasingly clear that happens as well.

    Apparently, as long as we kill somebody really fast, that suffices.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    26,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova
    I assume ya'll don't mind executing innocent people as well, since it becomes increasingly clear that happens as well.

    Apparently, as long as we kill somebody really fast, that suffices.

    Nova, I feel that its spectacularly unfair for you to make that assumption.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,186

    ...I agree Nova...

    ...it has been shown over and over ad nauseum that the death penalty does not deter crime...never has and never will...Furthermore, death penalty cases/prisoners are more expensive...and since it is impossible to "restore" someone who has been executed in error, (unlike compensating someone who has been wrongly imprisoned), we, as a civilized nation whould not use it.

    OTOH, I do believe in harsher and "truer", i.e., mandatory sentencing for certain crimes...i.e., LWOP, should mean just that...or the "hard 40" types of laws that are in effect in some places. I think that LWOP should be mandatory for certain crimes...

    It's a very simplistic and "knee-jerk" reaction, IMO, to call for the death penalty....It doesn't get to any of the roots of the problems we have in society to begin with...I find it especially deplorable when pro-death penalty sentiment is combined with fundamentalist Christianity...quite bizarre and scary...


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
    Nova, I feel that its spectacularly unfair for you to make that assumption.
    How unfair, Jeana? As Mama used to say, "Haste makes waste." More and faster executions must lead to more killing of the wrongly convicted.

    Now you know I am not "soft" on violent crime. As a matter of fact, I am in complete agreement with Cappy's post above: sentences for violent crimes should be harsher and more certain.

    You also know I oppose the d.p. and why. But setting that aside for the moment, surely putting any human being to death is something that should be done carefully and with due consideration, not in a rush.

    (ETA: thanks for the "howdy" over in the PP. I think of you often and fondly, even when I don't have a lot of time to post. (And, yes, even when you are pissed off at me. ))

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Mountains, CA
    Posts
    1,173
    I oppose the death penalty.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    26,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova
    How unfair, Jeana? As Mama used to say, "Haste makes waste." More and faster executions must lead to more killing of the wrongly convicted.

    Now you know I am not "soft" on violent crime. As a matter of fact, I am in complete agreement with Cappy's post above: sentences for violent crimes should be harsher and more certain.

    You also know I oppose the d.p. and why. But setting that aside for the moment, surely putting any human being to death is something that should be done carefully and with due consideration, not in a rush.

    (ETA: thanks for the "howdy" over in the PP. I think of you often and fondly, even when I don't have a lot of time to post. (And, yes, even when you are pissed off at me. ))
    I think of you too and am glad to see you posting! Never pissed at you though, just frustrated sometimes!!! I think the death penalty is asked for too many times when it shouldn't be asked for. I think that it should be used sparingly and fairly. I'd like to see the system reformed, but yes, I do think 25 years is too long for a prisoner to sit on the row.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
    I think of you too and am glad to see you posting! Never pissed at you though, just frustrated sometimes!!! I think the death penalty is asked for too many times when it shouldn't be asked for. I think that it should be used sparingly and fairly. I'd like to see the system reformed, but yes, I do think 25 years is too long for a prisoner to sit on the row.
    "Sparingly and fairly" is a good place to start, IMHO. Part of the delay is the general backlog of the courts, isn't it?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,107
    I think execution should be immediate for those murderers where there is solid forensic evidence and no doubt who committed the crime.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. WV WV - Sr Roberta 'Robin' Elam, 26, Wheeling, 13 June 1977
    By Marilynilpa in forum Cold Cases
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 02-02-2013, 03:58 AM
  2. Burger fan wolfs down 20,000th Big Mac
    By Casshew in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-21-2004, 03:05 PM