Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: "Killing Field" in League City, Texas- Calder Rd Cold Cases

Quote Originally Posted by bessie View Post

Linda Faye Sutherlin, 21, was a Houston area key punch operator and former bartender. On 11/07/1971 her body was found in a Pearland ditch along County Road 89 about one mile south of FM 518 in Brazoria County. She had been raped, shot, kicked and beaten. A pair of panty hose was tied around her neck. Her roommate had reported her missing on 11/05/1971. Police originally suspected a boyfriend who was known to be violent. In the end, her killers turned out to be a known criminal, 24 year-old Harry Andrew Lanham, and an accomplice, 24 year-old ex-convict Anthony Knoppa.

A witness who knew Linda by sight told LE he had seen her the morning of 11/04/1971 standing by her car parked along the road near the bar where she had stopped after work talking to a wrecker driver. Another witness, after reading the newspaper report of Linda's murder told LE he had seen a wrecker parked near the bridge where Linda's body was found. Two years earlier, a young woman had entered a Houston police station to report a rape by a wrecker driver. She gave his name to a detective and said he was a big man. Before the detective finished writing the report, however, she changed her mind and left. That same detective worked Linda's case. He recalled the earlier incident but could not remember the wrecker driver's name until a week or so later when it came to him out of the blue.

Harry Lanham owned a red wrecker. When questioned, he implicated Knoppa, who was tracked down in Conroe. The two eventually confessed to the rape and brutal murder of Linda Fay Sutherlin. Both men were convicted and sentenced to 25 and 50 years respectively. Lanham died in while awaiting appeal in 1973. At the time, he was a suspect in the murders of eight others, including Adele Crabtree to which he and Knoppa had also confessed.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=1661,2226148

http://thepolicenews.net/html/tpnmay09.pdf

Henry Lanham and Anthony Knoppa from the Reading Eagle, February 4, 1973
    BBM

Bessie, you're good! CAN WE ALL SAY "TOW TRUCK"! Very interesting information. Panty hose and tow truck!
    A parole review date is set for July 21, 2012 for Fred Howard Coffey.

Coffey was convicted of the murder of 10 yr old Amanda Marie Ray, NC. He admitted to molesting 300 children.

Please write a letter on behalf of Amanda.

Suspect in the murders of:
    5 yr old Neely Smith, NC
    14 yr old Kathy Lynn Beatty, MD
    8 yr old Travis Shane King, VA

Possibly connected to the disappearances of:
    14 Yr old Tracy Anne King, PA
    11 yr old Sheila and 13 yr old Katherine Lyons, MD
    15 yr old Carolyn Majane, NJ

Write to:
    Chairman Charles L. Mann Sr.
    NC Post Release Supervision & Parole Commission
    P.O. Box 29540
    Raleigh, NC 27626-0540
    RE: Fred Howard Coffey, DOC# 0081135
    or send an email to parole@doc.state.nc.us
    http://justice4amanda.tripod.com/

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeannieC For This Useful Post:

I don't think we have the Walker County Jane Doe listed in this thread yet. She has a thread in the Missing Unidentifed Forum. I think she should be included in this discussion, too, because of the timing, location and nature of her death. Her body was found in Walker County off of I-45 near Huntsville, about 37 miles north of Conroe. She was 14-16 years old.

This is quoted from the opening post of Walker County Jane Doe's Unidentifed thread:

Case Details:
    Walker County Jane Doe was found lying face down and nude by a truck driver on November 1, 1980 near the Sam Houston National Forest in Walker County Texas. This is about a half mile south of the FM 1696 exit near Huntsville.

The victim, an attractive young teenage girl, had been savagely beaten and sexually assaulted before dying by slow strangulation. Her face and body were covered with bruises from the beating and there was a human bite mark on her back near her right shoulder. The autopsy revealed she had been sexually assaulted with a blunt instrument.

When the murder was reported, several people came forward and said they'd seen a teenager matching her description the day before her body was found. One witness, the manager of a gas station which no longer exists, positively identified the victim as a girl who had been at the station around 6:30 p.m. Halloween night asking for directions to the Ellis prison unit. She was wearing blue jeans, a yellow pullover sweater with big pockets that hung below her waist, and carrying high-heeled sandals in her hand. To the best of his recollection, she had been let out of a 1973 or 74 blue Chevrolet, possibly a Caprice, with a lighter colored top, which was being driven by a white male. She looked disheveled like she had been traveling and perhaps sleeping in her clothes. She left the station, walking north on Sam Houston avenue.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...t=80600&page=7

Warning: The Unidentifed thread contains post mortem photos of Walker County Jane Doe.
    HANNAH GRAHAM TIP LINE (434) 295-3851
    EMAIL: CPDtips@charlottesville.org

Muddy water in the street
    ; Muddy water 'round my feet... as sung by the inimitable Bessie Smith, "Muddy Water (A Mississippi Moan)"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bessie For This Useful Post:

I don't think we have the Walker County Jane Doe listed in this thread yet. She has a thread in the Missing Unidentifed Forum. I think she should be included in this discussion, too, because of the timing, location and nature of her death. Her body was found in Walker County off of I-45 near Huntsville, about 37 miles north of Conroe. She was 14-16 years old.

This is quoted from the opening post of Walker County Jane Doe's Unidentifed thread:

Case Details:
    Walker County Jane Doe was found lying face down and nude by a truck driver on November 1, 1980 near the Sam Houston National Forest in Walker County Texas. This is about a half mile south of the FM 1696 exit near Huntsville.

The victim, an attractive young teenage girl, had been savagely beaten and sexually assaulted before dying by slow strangulation. Her face and body were covered with bruises from the beating and there was a human bite mark on her back near her right shoulder. The autopsy revealed she had been sexually assaulted with a blunt instrument.

When the murder was reported, several people came forward and said they'd seen a teenager matching her description the day before her body was found. One witness, the manager of a gas station which no longer exists, positively identified the victim as a girl who had been at the station around 6:30 p.m. Halloween night asking for directions to the Ellis prison unit. She was wearing blue jeans, a yellow pullover sweater with big pockets that hung below her waist, and carrying high-heeled sandals in her hand. To the best of his recollection, she had been let out of a 1973 or 74 blue Chevrolet, possibly a Caprice, with a lighter colored top, which was being driven by a white male. She looked disheveled like she had been traveling and perhaps sleeping in her clothes. She left the station, walking north on Sam Houston avenue.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...t=80600&page=7

Warning: The Unidentifed thread contains post mortem photos of Walker County Jane Doe.
    Interesting. Thanks for posting this. I've been looking for victims who had human bite marks and strangled with panties. This one has the bite mark. Don't know what she was strangled with but biting is very unusual...........

There was a SK who's MO included biting and strangling with panties. This has been seen in one other KF victim. I'm sure there are more that we haven't found yet.
    Last edited by JeannieC; 11-02-2011 at 06:25 AM.

Coffey was convicted of the murder of 10 yr old Amanda Marie Ray, NC. He admitted to molesting 300 children.

5 yr old Neely Smith, NC

Write to:
    P.O. Box 29540
    Raleigh, NC 27626-0540

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JeannieC For This Useful Post:

I don't mean to be all over the place but this unsolved case got to me last year
    http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/he...ng-1705582.php
    It sounds like a guy that may have done this before and probably would do it again.
    I think it would be so helpful if we could get sub threads so we could put the posts in order by the different decades ?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to claudicici For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by claudicici View Post
    I don't mean to be all over the place but this unsolved case got to me last year
    It sounds like a guy that may have done this before and probably would do it again.
    I think it would be so helpful if we could get sub threads so we could put the posts in order by the different decades ?
    So sad! I've been thinking we could probably use sub-threads too. Easier than wadding through all this. Maybe one for the "likely Suspects" or something like that. Another for UID's.

We need to ask Bessie what she thinks.

5 yr old Neely Smith, NC

Write to:
    P.O. Box 29540
    Raleigh, NC 27626-0540

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JeannieC For This Useful Post:

Raquel Antoinette Mundy 24 Years old

The first text message, sent around 5 a.m., stated, "Tell my girls I love them. I love you, Mom."

Bolton said a second text message, sent from Mundy's phone around 7:45 a.m., stated, "Mom I think this Mex might hurt."

5 yr old Neely Smith, NC

Write to:
    P.O. Box 29540
    Raleigh, NC 27626-0540

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JeannieC For This Useful Post:

Houston Police: 3 strangulations not related
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 - 4:27am
    Women were killed in downtown sites

Houston---Police on Monday said they do not believe a serial killer is responsible for the strangulations of three women killed in or near downtown Houston in the past four months despite similarities in the cases
    Raquel Antoinette Mundy, 24, Reita Lafaye Long, 52, and Carol Elaine Flood, 62, were each strangled and left in or near downtown since June. DNA has been recovered, but test results are pending, Lopez said.
    http://www.ketknbc.com/linked/housto...ns-not-related

5 yr old Neely Smith, NC

Write to:
    P.O. Box 29540
    Raleigh, NC 27626-0540

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JeannieC For This Useful Post:

I cried when I read about this case the other night. Poor girl was stranded near the bus station for hours after dropping off her mom and kids. She called relatives for help, but by the time one of them was able to get there, witnesses had seen her get in a truck with a man at about 3 am.

I agree with you guys that the information should be organized into separate threads. I'll find out if that can be done. In the meantime, keep posting. We can copy them later. I have quite a few to add, myself.

; Muddy water 'round my feet... as sung by the inimitable Bessie Smith, "Muddy Water (A Mississippi Moan)"

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bessie For This Useful Post:

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...lp-1573524.php
    Luckily this girl knew how to fight.I wonder if they ever found this guy and what other cases he may be responsible for?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to claudicici For This Useful Post:

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...lp-1573524.php
    Luckily this girl knew how to fight.I wonder if they ever found this guy and what other cases he may be responsible for?
    She was one lucky girl! I had to point out one thing in this article:
    BBM

The teen, Aurora (at her request, the Chronicle is not releasing her last name), said she was driving to her husband's workplace about 4 p.m. Tuesday when she realized her Chevrolet Cavalier had a flat tire.

She pulled to the shoulder of the southbound Loop near Northwest Mall and waited for help. Without a jack or a cell phone, there was little more she could do.

Within minutes, a black Chevrolet Silverado pickup, with the words "Super Tow" on the side, pulled up to Aurora's car. The driver, who said his name was Bo, offered to repair the flat, but said he didn't have his tools with him.
    Aurora said she became suspicious when he asked if she wanted him to tow her car back to his shop.

5 yr old Neely Smith, NC

Write to:
    P.O. Box 29540
    Raleigh, NC 27626-0540

20. The Following User Says Thank You to JeannieC For This Useful Post:

I cried when I read about this case the other night. Poor girl was stranded near the bus station for hours after dropping off her mom and kids. She called relatives for help, but by the time one of them was able to get there, witnesses had seen her get in a truck with a man at about 3 am.

I agree with you guys that the information should be organized into separate threads. I'll find out if that can be done. In the meantime, keep posting. We can copy them later. I have quite a few to add, myself.
    Thanks, Bessie. It will be very helpful to everyone. We're growing!

5 yr old Neely Smith, NC

Write to:
    P.O. Box 29540
    Raleigh, NC 27626-0540

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeannieC For This Useful Post:

Oh, no, another tow truck! When I think of all the times I broke down tooling around in my old car when I was young and too foolish to know better I get chills up my spine. I was the same age as many of the young women from the 70's, and several times I had to rely on the assistance of truck drivers when my car broke down. I even got in a rig with one when my car broke down on the bridge over the Atchafalaya Basin ten miles from an exit! I look at these cases and think why them? Why not me? It breaks my heart.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bessie For This Useful Post:

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...es-2081679.php

Wonder if he had more victims?
    He was convicted in 1993 for raping a woman and is accused of raping two woman now.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to claudicici For This Useful Post:

This reminds me of the Trail of Tears case in Canada

28. The Following User Says Thank You to scriptgirl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieC View Post
    I have choosen to post missing and murdered from MONTGOMERY COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE Cold Case Squad – Homicide because I believe some of these cases are related to the killing fields. Some bodies have been recovered and some have not.

Serial Killers move around. One killing in Montgomery County probably killed in other counties surrounding Houston and Fort Worth. I believe there were several moving around in this area of Texas.

Some serial killers move the bodies to other areas so it is highly likely we could find someone missing from one county and remains located in another.

All of these cases are relevant to murders at the time. imo

I have not listed all the missing and murdered from Montgomery County. Please go out and take a look. Very frightening!

http://www.woodlandsonline.com/dbs/s...e/COLDCASE.pdf
    This case is so vast and there are so many persons involved.
    I need to drop an anchor in this sea of madness to create a starting point. And perhaps others can choose a starting point for themselves and work outward over time. We may just connect somewhere along the way, and can look for familiarities to specific crimes.

I am going to stay with you
    JeannieC in Montgomery County.
    As we investigate and expand outward over time, I will be able to return to my starting point of Montgomery County if things start to become extremely confusing or overwhelming. And then start again.

:+:Anneliese Michel:+:

[21 September 1952–1 July 1976]

[Second chapter twelfth verse of [
    :+:Philippians:+:]
    [Work out your own salvation, with fear and trembling]
    :+:Emily Rose:+:

30. The Following User Says Thank You to :+:MrTT:+: For This Useful Post:

I started a new thread for Montgomery County and the Killing Fields North. Please continue discussing those cases in the new thread.

Thanks.

[ame=http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153614]Killing Fields North --Montgomery County[/ame]

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bessie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by yasmeen View Post
    Ikoihil:

Are these articles about your mother's death? Two (2) articles are dated 9/17/1989 and the other 9/19/1989.

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/ar...id=1989_650630
    http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/ar...id=1989_650958
    http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Site...?img=110190019

Linnis A. Gibbons:

This is an article dated 2/6/1995. It includes a list of names that were in the obituary that day. The full text can be found in microfilm.

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/ar...d=1995_1254778

This article is dated 09/20/1986. It refers to a Linnis Gibbons Jr. I was wondering if this is a relative of Linnis Gibbons Sr. maybe?

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/ar...id=1986_267408

Is it possible to contact relatives or friends of Gibbons? Maybe if we dig deep enough, it will lead to new information that could reopen the case. I was also wondering if you had any pictures of your mom, Gibbons, or the other two women? If so could you upload them?

Thank you!
    Yes, those are about my mother. JeannieC is correct in saying they were father and son. The obituary is for the father; the son has had numerous run-ins with the law.

I am not jumping at the opportunity to contact any of them personally, as that is dangerous for me, and I would prefer to not end up dead in a field somewhere. I've tried to find pictures of Gibbons and the other woman, and have gone through every photo in my home (which, I might add to anyone reading, is very secure and armed; additionally I am a sharpshooter). I will keep looking though.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ikoihil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieC View Post
    At one time LE found 2100 sexual preditors living in the area.
    Le doesn't believe it is one suspect/perp but many.
    Not all bodies have been identified.
    Texas Sex Offenders' Database - Galveston County Map

https://records.txdps.state.tx.us/DP..._TXT=GALVESTON

36. The Following User Says Thank You to ikoihil For This Useful Post:

Local

I grew up in League City and still live in the Clear Lake area. I was a senior in high school when the Corvette Concepts murders took place. I remember rumors at the high school once the story broke that it was a drug deal gone bad and then I also heard it was a mob hit. There was also a rumor about a "strange" person wandering around the nearby graveyard that morning of the murders (along 45S near 518)..We never really did find out the details but for League City at that time, this was huge. League City was a tiny town back then...I worked at a drug store along 45 S at 518 about one block away from the Hobbs Road convienence store and about 1/2 mile from Corvette Concepts and Calder Road was one exit South... No one really knew about the Killing Fields (circa 1983/84)....It wasn't until Shelley Sikes was abducted that the media latched onto the mysterious disappearances along 45. Around the same time as girls began to go missing, up the road in Clear Lake City along the old (now gone) golf course, there was a series of rapes of young girls who lived along the course who were abducted and then raped on the greens. This was dubbed "The Clear Lake Rapist"...This area was near Clear Lake High School along Bay Area Blvd which is about 5 miles E of 45.
    The "Killing Fields" of the 80's is no longer a lonely stretch of fields but home to subdivisions. shopping centers and a huge softball complex. Hobbs Road connects to Calder now...not sure if it did back then because I never had much reason to go down Hobbs all those years ago.....
    What is really spooky is the fact that I lived, hung out and worked in the very area these girls went missing and were found dead...and I was blissfully unaware of the tragedy that was right under my nose.....

38. The Following User Says Thank You to ClotildeBrabant For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ClotildeBrabant View Post
    I grew up in League City and still live in the Clear Lake area. I was a senior in high school when the Corvette Concepts murders took place. I remember rumors at the high school once the story broke that it was a drug deal gone bad and then I also heard it was a mob hit. There was also a rumor about a "strange" person wandering around the nearby graveyard that morning of the murders (along 45S near 518)..We never really did find out the details but for League City at that time, this was huge. League City was a tiny town back then...I worked at a drug store along 45 S at 518 about one block away from the Hobbs Road convienence store and about 1/2 mile from Corvette Concepts and Calder Road was one exit South... No one really knew about the Killing Fields (circa 1983/84)....It wasn't until Shelley Sikes was abducted that the media latched onto the mysterious disappearances along 45. Around the same time as girls began to go missing, up the road in Clear Lake City along the old (now gone) golf course, there was a series of rapes of young girls who lived along the course who were abducted and then raped on the greens. This was dubbed "The Clear Lake Rapist"...This area was near Clear Lake High School along Bay Area Blvd which is about 5 miles E of 45.
    The "Killing Fields" of the 80's is no longer a lonely stretch of fields but home to subdivisions. shopping centers and a huge softball complex. Hobbs Road connects to Calder now...not sure if it did back then because I never had much reason to go down Hobbs all those years ago.....
    What is really spooky is the fact that I lived, hung out and worked in the very area these girls went missing and were found dead...and I was blissfully unaware of the tragedy that was right under my nose.....
    You're one of the lucky ones! It seems not too many people were aware of what was going on. Even now, people don't realize the magnitude. We're still finding victims!

Thanks for posting this information. Everything helps!

5 yr old Neely Smith, NC

Write to:
    P.O. Box 29540
    Raleigh, NC 27626-0540

FBI Takes on Triple Murder in LEAGUE CITY
    In continuing the investigation, the League City Police
    have already enlisted a prominent profiler who noted that there
    was most likely a relationship with the suspect and co-owner of
    Corvette Concepts, Beth Yevette Wilburn, 25, at the time of the macabre murders that took place Nov. 2, 1983.

League City Detective Robert Webb said Wilburn was stabbed over 100 times, possibly with a screwdriver, and then was shot multiple times with a pistol.
    Beth’s boyfriend Thomas Earl McGraw Jr., 27, had been
    stabbed several times with what detectives believe was the same
    weapon used on Beth Wilburn; he was then shot several times after
    a screw driver became impaled in his spine. Burch’s husband, electrician
    James Craig Oatis, 22, who had been hanging chains for lighting fixtures
    in the mechanic’s bay of the facility had also been shot multiple times.

http://thepolicenews.net/html/gcpnmar06final.pdf

5 yr old Neely Smith, NC

Write to:
    P.O. Box 29540
    Raleigh, NC 27626-0540

is there a seperate thread for the corvette concepts murders?

42. The Following User Says Thank You to scriptgirl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by scriptgirl View Post
    is there a seperate thread for the corvette concepts murders?
    No, if you think we need one go ahead and put one out there. Be sure to put it in "The Killing Field" forum.

5 yr old Neely Smith, NC

Write to:
    P.O. Box 29540
    Raleigh, NC 27626-0540

If you happen to come across this description for an uid.

Clothing: She was last seen wearing a rabbit fur jacket and Calvin Klein jeans.

Let me know. I thought i seen that somewhere already. About remains found with a fur jacket?

Just checked the uid thread and its not there.

It belongs to this person.

The Doe Network:
    Case File 1186DFTX

Kathleen Murphy
    Missing since March 7, 1976 from Fort Worth, Tarrant County, Texas.
    Classification: Involuntary

45. The Following User Says Thank You to :+:MrTT:+: For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by :+:MrTT:+: View Post
    If you happen to come across this description for an uid.

Clothing: She was last seen wearing a rabbit fur jacket and Calvin Klein jeans.

Let me know. I thought i seen that somewhere already. About remains found with a fur jacket?

Just checked the uid thread and its not there.

It belongs to this person.

The Doe Network:
    Case File 1186DFTX

Kathleen Murphy
    Missing since March 7, 1976 from Fort Worth, Tarrant County, Texas.
    Classification: Involuntary

I didn't find one with a rabbit fur coat. I have one with a fringed leather coat and that's it. Sorry.

5 yr old Neely Smith, NC

Write to:
    P.O. Box 29540