1220 users online (239 members and 981 guests)  

Websleuths News

FL - Makeisha Dantus, 3 mos, dies of alcohol poisoning, Fort Lauderdale, 14 Feb 2004

FORT LAUDERDALE, Florida (AP) -- Authorities are searching for the parents of a 3-month-old girl who died last year after her parents allegedly gave her lethal doses of vodka to quiet her crying, police said.

Makeisha Dantus died in 2004 but her parents were not charged until last month. By that time, they had disappeared.

The couple, Mackenson Dantus and Mardala Derival, are wanted on charges of aggravated manslaughter. Authorities said they believe the couple, both Haitian immigrants, were still in Florida.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/11/29/vo....ap/index.html

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    My God! What were they thinking. This is from your link, Jeana:
    Former Medical Examiner Dr. Ronald Wright said that for a baby to ingest that much alcohol would be the equivalent of a 160-pound adult drinking 18 beers.

According to a police report, the final autopsy showed that the child had been fed fatal doses of alcohol shortly before her death and her liver indicated severe buildup of excess fat due to alcohol consumption.

Makes you want to punch them dead in the face doesn't it? I'll betcha $50, they've got another kid by now.

I heard this on the local news this morning..

All I can say is WTF?? Why soo long to issue the warrant??

I would think the very moment they realized the baby died due to alcohol poisoning they would be arrested??

I don't understand why it took a YEAR to find alcohol in the baby's system???!! The BAC would show up in a simple blood test wouldn't it? I agree, they probably DO already have another kid. I despise people like them!!!

Jeana, sounds like another canidate for your mandatory sterilization project!
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew
    Jeana, sounds like another canidate for your mandatory sterilization project!

I'm going to need to be careful about that. Paul McCartney will probably boycott me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
    Makes you want to punch them dead in the face doesn't it? I'll betcha $50, they've got another kid by now.
    This is either sheer stupidity or pure evil. Either way it does make me want to punch them dead in the face.

They probably do have another child by now. Poor thing.

Child-abuse investigators removed a second child from the home of a Fort Lauderdale couple accused of killing their 3-month-old daughter by giving her formula mixed with vodka.

Less than a year after Makeisha died, Derival gave birth to another child.

But the child was not left in the couple's care for long. Child-protective deputies with the Broward Sheriff's Office removed the child in December 2004, shortly after birth, said Veda Coleman-Wright, spokeswoman for the Sheriff's Office. She did not know the sex of the child and declined to say with whom the child was placed.

But charges in her death were not filed until October of this year. Detective Kathleen Collins, spokeswoman for the Fort Lauderdale Police Department, said detectives had the couple under surveillance until August of this year, when they lost contact.
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...a-news-broward
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Heard on the radio (sorry I don't have a link to this) that this little girl had alcohol in her system equivolent to an average adult drinking 18 beers!!

Intentional or not, these people are not good candidates for parenthood!!

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew

Less than a year after Makeisha died, Derival gave birth to another child.
    Well, that answers that. I'm glad they took that baby away.

Mardala Derival and Mackenson Dantus calmly walked into a New Jersey police station Thursday shortly after 12:30 p.m. and asked an officer to call a Fort Lauderdale police detective.

Derival, 22, and Dantus, 25, did not explain why they were trying to reach Fort Lauderdale Detective John Curcio, but Dantus insisted the officer place the call.

When an officer at the Trenton, N.J., station ran an arrest search, it became clearer why the couple had wandered in. The two were wanted on aggravated manslaughter charges in the alcohol-poisoning death of their 3-month-old daughter, Makeisha.
    http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/13306648.htm

2luvmy is offline RIP Ragdoll. You don't get to choose how you're going to die, or when. You can only decide how you're going to live now.
    According to police documents released Tuesday, test results on the infant revealed that the child was fed a little over an ounce of vodka shortly before her death.

Couple cleared in baby's death but found guilty of abuse

Monday, September 1, 2008

Emotion overcame Mardala Derival, 24, and Mackenson Dantus, 27, as a Broward County jury acquitted them Friday of manslaughter in their 3-month-old daughter's death.

Makeisha died on Valentine's Day 2004 with a blood-alcohol level that authorities said would have been nearly six times the legal limit for a driver. While the Fort Lauderdale couple was found not guilty of killing their daughter, they were found guilty of child abuse for giving vodka to the feverish baby as a Haitian home remedy.

snip

When Makeisha died, she had pneumonia and a bacterial infection, according to a forensic pathologist for the defense.

Much more at link:
    http://fosterfamilytalk.blogspot.com...in-couple.html

Mackenson Dantus

Jury Trial
    Manslaughter - Not Guilty
    Child Abuse - Guilty
    Sentence Date: 09/03/2008

Offense: Child Abuse
    Sentence: 5 years Probation

Mardala Derival

Jury Trial
    Manslaughter - Not Guilty
    Child Abuse - Guilty
    Sentence Date: 09/03/2008

Offense: Child Abuse
    Sentence: 5 years Probation

ETA: They did spend approximately 2 years 9 months in custody awaiting trial.
    Last edited by Belinda; 07-25-2010 at 03:36 PM.

Are you kidding me? 5 years probation. I have no words. Thank you, Belinda, for providing these updates.
    Bless the beasts and the children
    For in this world they have no voice,
    They have no choice.

Iíve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, keep me here.
    كلي