763 users online (176 members and 587 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Has anyone else read this? It offers a more in depth account of Virginia and what happened. Disappearance of Virginia Carpenter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A few years back, WFAA channel 8 in Dallas reported extensively on the new info that resulted in the digging operation to find her body. The man who called in the tip claimed that he knew the 2 young men in the convertible but because one of them came from a wealthy and influential Denton family, LE looked the other way. I hope that's not true.

I was reading about the Texarkana Moonlight Murderer, a case that has fascinated me for years, at the same Wikipedia page referenced above and I clicked the link for Virginia Carpenter and realized I had read her case file before at The Charley Project. It is possible that she ran away, if any of the alleged sightings are true, but I really think the taxi driver is good for the crime, despite the fact that he passed more than one polygraph.

Media thread for Abby and Libby.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...5#post13163455

WebSleuths Lingo thread.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...bsleuths-Lingo

Unless I provide a link, every one of my posts are to be considered rumor, Speculation, or simply MY OWN OPINION.

We are the watchers. We are witnesses. We see what has gone before. We see what happens now, at this dangerous moment in human history. We see what's going to happen - what will surely happen - unless we come together: we - the Peoples of all Nations - to restore peace and harmony and balance to the Earth, our Mother.

THE IGNORE BUTTON IS YOUR FRIEND!

Quote Originally Posted by Stella View Post
    The man who called in the tip claimed that he knew the 2 young men in the convertible but because one of them came from a wealthy and influential Denton family, LE looked the other way. I hope that's not true.
    According to Wikipedia, the population of Denton in 1950 was 21,372 so I would imagine that if any local young man owned a yellow convertible it would be well known in the area.

McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    From the video-who the heck is Daniel Mock and why was he being questioned regarding Virginia's Case?
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

I wondered the same; first time I've heard that name. I don't remember hearing she shared a cab to the school, but maybe I've just forgotten. The person behind those videos has a whole series of them, many of them really old cases.

Hello, websleuths! Long time lurker, first time poster. I've always been fascinated by this case, and finally got to put my two cents in.
    So I was looking up some new information or deatils on this case and stumbled across a website of Decatur Bowling Association. There I saw a photo of a lady whose name was Virginia Carpenter. This is her photo:
    Virginia Carpenter.png

The website says that she started playing bowling in the middle 1950's, became a professional bowler and later became a coach.

I must say that I do see a resemblance between this lady and the missing Virginia Carpenter. The smile, the chin, the nose... Here is a combined picture of them:
    Безимени-671.jpg

And, of course, the name! But, in my opinion, if she had decided to run away deliberately and start a new life, then she would have changed her name. But, who knows. What do you guys think?

Here is the original link: http://decaturusbc.com/hof.php?hofyear=1990

McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    Quote Originally Posted by Route666 View Post
    Hello, websleuths! Long time lurker, first time poster. I've always been fascinated by this case, and finally got to put my two cents in.
    So I was looking up some new information or deatils on this case and stumbled across a website of Decatur Bowling Association. There I saw a photo of a lady whose name was Virginia Carpenter. This is her photo:

The website says that she started playing bowling in the middle 1950's, became a professional bowler and later became a coach.

I must say that I do see a resemblance between this lady and the missing Virginia Carpenter. The smile, the chin, the nose... Here is a combined picture of them:

And, of course, the name! But, in my opinion, if she had decided to run away deliberately and start a new life, then she would have changed her name. But, who knows. What do you guys think?

Here is the original link: http://decaturusbc.com/hof.php?hofyear=1990
    I agree with you on all your points and welcome to WS participation-hopefully we'll hear more from you. It's most likely not her but it would really be something if she kept her name and still avoided detection. Anything is possible, so who knows !?
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Thanks a lot, Standreid! I guess you're right about this lady not being our missing Virginia, but I find it interesting anyway. Then again, who knows! Maybe I'll try to contact someone from Decatur Bowling Association through their website and ask if they remember something about this woman.

Its been a while that this thread was used.

But my 2 cents, what I find very suspicious is the role of the taxidriver, Edgar Ray Zachary, he was the last one seeing her. Dont get me wrong, I mean the guy is dead so I dont want to blame anybody till its proved that they did it indeed or till the day God judges this world and it will be known who the killer was if she was killed ofcourse.

But the taxidriver was accused of attempting for raping a girl years afther Virginia got missing. In fact, there is an newsarticle about it in the Abilene reporter news paper of Texas. On page 15 of august 20, 1957, for those with an account on websites containing historical newspapers you can search it up yourself. Or use google for an other newspaper also mentioning this case: https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,5189669&hl=nl
    The taxidriver was also been in and out of trouble with the law years before Virginia got missing.

There is an book written by an old texas ranger Private that investigated the Viriginia Carpenter case, the book is called
    In the Line of Duty: Reflections of a Texas Ranger Private. You can see parts of the book trough google books, from page 82 till 89 you can read about this case. And also the mentioning of the attemted rape of the taxidriver and that the police thought the taxidriver was the main suspect for while. He past an polygraph test.

The taxidriver had an alibi, his wife told the police that he came home arround 10:00 p:m. But years later I found that she stated that she had lied about this and the her husband came home late in the night. I only found this on an website containing some info about this case.

So all clews are pointing in my opinion to the last person that saw her alive. But stil never convicted so only God knows.
    Last edited by bbking; 09-23-2017 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bbking View Post
    Its been a while that this thread was used.

But my 2 cents, what I find very suspicious is the role of the taxidriver, Edgar Ray Zachary, he was the last one seeing her. Dont get me wrong, I mean the guy is dead so I dont want to blame anybody till its proved that they did it indeed or till the day God judges this world and it will be known who the killer was if she was killed ofcourse.

But the taxidriver was accused of attempting for raping a girl years afther Virginia got missing. In fact, there is an newsarticle about it in the Abilene reporter news paper of Texas. On page 15 of august 20, 1957, for those with an account on websites containing historical newspapers you can search it up yourself. Or use google for an other newspaper also mentioning this case: https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,5189669&hl=nl
    The taxidriver was also been in and out of trouble with the law years before Virginia got missing.

There is an book written by an old texas ranger Private that investigated the Viriginia Carpenter case, the book is called
    In the Line of Duty: Reflections of a Texas Ranger Private. You can see parts of the book trough google books, from page 82 till 89 you can read about this case. And also the mentioning of the attemted rape of the taxidriver and that the police thought the taxidriver was the main suspect for while. He past an polygraph test.

The taxidriver had an alibi, his wife told the police that he came home arround 10:00 p:m. But years later I found that she stated that she had lied about this and the her husband came home late in the night. I only found this on an website containing some info about this case.

So all clews are pointing in my opinion to the last person that saw her alive. But stil never convicted so only God knows.
    Interestingly, the lead investigator of the time, Lewis C. Rigler, finally believed that Virginia ran away to start a new life for herself. I'm not sure how he arrived at that conclusion, as there was no evidence for it and every reason to suspect foul play. Perhaps it was just his way of dealing with the fact they never found out what happened to her.

Anyway, I agree with you. The taxi driver was the last confirmed witness to see Virginia, he was later accused of sexually assaulting another young woman, and apparently he was known to abuse his wife and kids. Not to mention his decision to leave Virginia's trunk on the lawn instead of delivering it to her dorm is very suspicious.

The Decatur woman can't be her.

Here's that Virginia in the 1940 census: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KWRX-WQS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3