775 users online (86 members and 689 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    There are two listings for Edgar Zachary in the Social Security Death Index. Note that both have the same date of birth and date of death, but that there are two different Social Security Numbers and two different "last place of residence" listed.

Key:
    Name Date of Birth Death Last Residence
    Last Benefit SSN State of Issue

EDGAR ZACHARY 23 Feb 1908 Apr 1984 75074 (Plano, Collin, TX)
    (none specified) 453-10-9665 Texas

EDGAR ZACHARY 23 Feb 1908 Apr 1984 75833 (Centerville, Leon, TX)
    (none specified) 456-22-8812 Texas
    The age is correct for the Zachary in question, as he was 49 in mid-'57.

Virginia Carpenter, 21, Missing since June 1, 1948 from Denton, TX

60 years ago...

The last post to this thread was over two years ago. I thought that I would bump it up as this year marks the 60th anniversary of Virginia Carpenter's disappearance. Perhaps there will be some news articles about it.

-------------------
    Virginia Carpenter
    Missing since June 1, 1948 from Denton, Denton County, Texas
    Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: about 1927
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 21 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'3"; 120 lbs.
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Long brown hair; brown eyes.
    Clothing: She was wearing a striped chambray dress, a white hat and red platform shoes and bag.

Circumstances of Disappearance

Carpenter was last seen in Denton, Texas on June 1, 1948.

She left her home in Texarkana, Texas and took a train to Denton. She got off the train in Denton and took a taxi to the campus of what is now Texas Woman's University. She stepped out of the cab in front of Brackenridge Hall at the Texas State College for Women a little after 9 p.m. She gave the cab driver the ticket for her trunk and a dollar to fetch it the next day from the train station. She walked over to talk to two young men she appeared to know. ``Well, hi. What are you doing here?'' she asked them. The cab driver drove away.

The cab driver delivered her trunk the next morning. It sat on the porch for days. In 1948, police questioned Miss Carpenter's boyfriend for 12 hours the first time around and interviewed him more than a dozen times after that. He also passed a polygraph test. Police searched the cab driver, looking for scratches or bruises. They grilled the cabby numerous times. He was 45, with little education and a reputation for physical abuse. According to reports in the still-open Denton police files, the cabby was a ``bootlegger, part-time mechanic and automobile trader'' who beat his wife and kids.

And in 1957, his wife, who was married to someone else by then, told Midland police she had lied when she said he was home that night by 10. Actually, according to the police files, she said he had come in at 2 or 3 a.m. the next morning. And each year on June 1, when the Denton Record-Chronicle rehashed the unsolved case, he traveled from Midland to Denton and bought a paper, his wife told the officers. He became nervous, uneasy, and she believed he had something to do with the girl's disappearance. He was never charged.

The year before her disappearance, five Texarkana teens were murdered by a person who has never been identified. The press dubbed him the ``Phantom Killer.'' Miss Carpenter and her family were friends with three of the five victims.

In May of 1998, police were given a tip by a man in his 70s who claimed to know who killed Ms. Carpenter and where she was buried. Police said the informant was close to some of the people who were allegedly involved in Ms. Carpenter’s disappearance. The sheriff said the two suspects in the murder are now dead.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Denton County Sheriff's Office
    940-349-1600

Source Information:

Laredo Morning Times
    Denton Record-Chronicle - 8/3/97
    The Doe Network: Case File 1880DFTX

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1880dftx.html

Not sure if this was posted earlier in the thread. I don't recall seeing it.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...1.23f708c.html

Just bumping.

Did a quick search but didn't see any newer info on Virginia. This is one I can't forget.

Quote Originally Posted by docwho3 View Post
    Phantom killer case info - a good read.
    http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_k...a/index_1.html

another look at the phantom killer
    http://www.texark.org/events/phantom/phantom.html
    I would love to know more about this connection! How did she know the victims? Classmates?

Just spent the afternoon reading everything I could find on the Phantom murders - too crazy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

Fascinating case. Not really sure what to think

We recently saw several stories here in Dallas for the 15th anniversary of Kelli Cox's disappearance...still no leads...Her baby is now grown up without her mother. Sad case.
    If you listen closely enough, people will tell you exactly who they are...

I just got into this case, but the cab driver sounds really suspicious. What strikes me as weird from the whole story is that nobody saw or knew the yellow convertible. I'm sure that a vehicle like that is memorable, especially back then. I wonder if anyone else confirmed seeing her after she supposedly got out of the cab. I think that if these were people she knew, someone else would have known them too, I doubt very much that she was involved with the kind of people who are very secretive about their identities and in any case that kind of guy doesn't drive around in such a showy car.

Everything in my posts is just my opinion unless it's a quote. ||| please don't quote my posts outside of this site without my permission.
    I'm no longer very active on WS due to lack of time, if you'd like to keep in touch feel free to PM me though.

New information

In 1979, I worked for Jerry Stout, owner of The Denton County Enterprise, a weekly newspaper. Jerry told me that he and a couple of his friends got a tip that
    Virginia Carpenter had been buried under Bell Street, which was under construction at the time that Virginia disappeared. He also told me that she was on the Rifle Team at TWU and that they thought her rifle was buried with her. They somehow procured City of Denton overalls and a backhoe and about midnight one night, they dug up the section of Bell Street that they thought was about the right spot. They used a metal detector to look for the rifle. They did not find anything and left the street dug up for the city to repair. He didn't think anyone ever knew who dug up the street. I don't know when this occurred. It could have been in the sixties or seventies. I have never seen a reference to the
    Rifle Team in anything else that I've read.

Quote Originally Posted by cjstooks View Post
    In 1979, I worked for Jerry Stout, owner of The Denton County Enterprise, a weekly newspaper. Jerry told me that he and a couple of his friends got a tip that
    Virginia Carpenter had been buried under Bell Street, which was under construction at the time that Virginia disappeared. He also told me that she was on the Rifle Team at TWU and that they thought her rifle was buried with her. They somehow procured City of Denton overalls and a backhoe and about midnight one night, they dug up the section of Bell Street that they thought was about the right spot. They used a metal detector to look for the rifle. They did not find anything and left the street dug up for the city to repair. He didn't think anyone ever knew who dug up the street. I don't know when this occurred. It could have been in the sixties or seventies. I have never seen a reference to the
    Rifle Team in anything else that I've read.
    cjstooks, I was wondering if you knew if there was any way one would be able to directly contact Mr. Stout. I have searched extensively but was unable to find any contact information; do you know of any work phone number or email I could reach him at?
    Also, would you know if Denton keeps records of road construction and repair that I could use to confirm this information and find a date as to when he searched for Carpenter?
    Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    According to her driver, she got out of the cab a little after 21:00 (9 PM). The sunset at Denton for June 1 is around 8:41 so it would have been getting somewhat dark (more than 20 minutes after sunset) especially if it was cloudy. I wonder how well the cabby could have seen the guys and the car at that point. It also sounds a little suspicious that he was close enough the hear what she said to them.

This is assuming that Denton was then on daylight time. If it was on Standard Time then it would have been dark as midnight by 9 o'clock.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    The year before her disappearance, five Texarkana teens were murdered by a person who has never been identified. The press dubbed him the ``Phantom Killer.'' Miss Carpenter and her family were friends with three of the five victims.
    The site that contains this information is not very accurate. Actually, only three of those murdered in Texarkana were teens and all were quite a bit younger (3-5 years) than Virginia; that doesn't mean she didn't know them however. The victim who survived the Phantom was the closest to Virginia's age being one year younger.
    Last edited by STANDREID; 06-18-2014 at 10:21 PM.

Stan Reid

Quote Originally Posted by STANDREID View Post
    According to her driver, she got out of the cab a little after 21:00 (9 PM). The sunset at Denton for June 1 is around 8:41 so it would have been getting somewhat dark (more than 20 minutes after sunset) especially if it was cloudy. I wonder how well the cabby could have seen the guys and the car at that point. It also sounds a little suspicious that he was close enough the hear what she said to them.

This is assuming that Denton was then on daylight time. If it was on Standard Time then it would have been dark as midnight by 9 o'clock.
    Texas didn't do Daylight Savings Time back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Stella View Post
    Texas didn't do Daylight Savings Time back then.
    OK, then it would have been totally dark at 9 PM.

Stan Reid

I've tried searching for info on it but can't find anything about pre-daylight savings time in Texas. I remember from my 1950's summer childhood that I had to be inside by dark and I think that was around 9:00 pm. but I can't state it as fact.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast