1157 users online (152 members and 1005 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulessa View Post
    I was too because I was Native. My skin is a little darker, but I still bled red. This absolutely breaks my heart!
    Has never ended. Has increased lately . People don't have empathy . Look at Standing Rock, the refugees, blacks. It is ok to bully people who seem different.

My grandson worked at a fast food place. Hevwould complain about the manager but I do not think anythings like toothbrush scrubbing.

Thosr of us who have had bad bosses know about cruel treatment, but I never imagined anything like this.

It is important to talk to your kids about bad bosses and what to do. Who knew!

Quote Originally Posted by MaryG12 View Post
    The whole story really upset me - I was bullied during grade school and junior high - then much later on as an adult - I have PTSD from the adult bullying incident. I am also a suicide attempt survivor. I understand the pain Kenny experienced and am so sorry he took his own life - which was not his fault. I wish I could bring him back and comfort him.
    You matter! I'm so glad you are here posting.
    Media thread for Abby and Libby.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...5#post13163455

WebSleuths Lingo thread.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...bsleuths-Lingo

Unless I provide a link, every one of my posts are to be considered rumor, Speculation, or simply MY OWN OPINION.

We are the watchers. We are witnesses. We see what has gone before. We see what happens now, at this dangerous moment in human history. We see what's going to happen - what will surely happen - unless we come together: we - the Peoples of all Nations - to restore peace and harmony and balance to the Earth, our Mother.

THE IGNORE BUTTON IS YOUR FRIEND!

Quote Originally Posted by human View Post
    Has never ended. Has increased lately . People don't have empathy . Look at Standing Rock, the refugees, blacks. It is ok to bully people who seem different.

Sad eh? We matter.
    Media thread for Abby and Libby.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...5#post13163455

WebSleuths Lingo thread.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...bsleuths-Lingo

Unless I provide a link, every one of my posts are to be considered rumor, Speculation, or simply MY OWN OPINION.

We are the watchers. We are witnesses. We see what has gone before. We see what happens now, at this dangerous moment in human history. We see what's going to happen - what will surely happen - unless we come together: we - the Peoples of all Nations - to restore peace and harmony and balance to the Earth, our Mother.

THE IGNORE BUTTON IS YOUR FRIEND!

Until we realize, as a culture, what causes suicide, we will never get this right.

Making an employee scrub the floor by hand and throwing a cheeseburger at them will not cause them to kill themselves, and isn't cause to file a manslaughter charge.

At all.

This is reason to have fired this manager a long time ago, and is reason to also fire the other managers who sat there and did nothing.

When we see someone who has committed suicide, our reaction is to look at the most negative things that were going in their lives and point to those as the cause. That's not what causes suicide.

Suicide is caused by a brain chemistry that doesn't support the will to live. Most people have a FIERCE will to live, and will fight to survive despite incredible odds. But people who commit suicide don't have that will to live, sadly.

There are people who quietly go into that dark night, and don't blame anyone for their horrific depression. They write heart wrenching notes about how they just couldn't take the pain of life anymore, and are sorry for the pain their suicide will cause anyone. There are others who try to blame other people for their suicides - most notably that awful woman recently who killed her baby and herself and blamed her husband on facebook for not loving her.

This young man's death is a horrible, sad tragedy. Apparently he was bullied for years at school, and now this manager made him clean the floor by hand and threw a hamburger at him, and is holding the bag and is being charged with manslaughter for his death.

The school admin should have helped him, the other DQ managers should have helped him, he should have been given access to medical attention for his depression.

But really. Do we really think this one woman is guilty of manslaughter? No. When someone commits suicide, it's absurd to look for some recent negative experience and blame that. That's not what causes suicide.
    Last edited by JeannaT; 02-07-2017 at 12:04 AM.

I saw her Facebook account. I see a lot of anger in her.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogface View Post
    It takes a special type of cruelty to bully someone to that extreme. There isn't a lot of things my child could do to make me feel I failed as a parent, but if my child was a bully I would feel I had failed miserably. RIP, Kenneth, I pray you find the peace you never found here on earth, and I'm sorry your existence was surrounded by such cruelty.
    Harley Branham is deeply insecure on the level of Lori Drew, Jodi Arias, Elliot Rodger, or Omar Mateen.

People started talk about bullying because of what Lori Drew did to Megan Meier in 2006.

I can see Barnham as someone who repressed every slighting and took it out on Kenneth Suttner, ala Lori Drew or Gertrude Baniszewski.

I would be interested in her upbringing and childhood.

HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood
    Pennant Number: 51
    Motto: Ventis Secundis ("With Favourable Winds")
    May 15, 1920-May 24, 1941

I can't believe I'm saying this, but why her? Because she was his manager, like a person with authority over him?

Dairy Queen manager is arrested after 'bullying worker, 17, until he killed himself': Teen committed suicide after she made him clean the floor by hand and threw a burger at him
    (the Daily Mail article linked earlier)
    The Missouri teen had been bullied for years at school and at work
    Many witnesses testified that Kenneth Suttner, a Glasgow High School junior, had been bullied for years at school and at work.
    Lexie Graves, Suttner's best friend, said she repeatedly saw students at Glasgow High School bully him.

'A lot of people, kids, made fun of the way - basically everything about him', Graves said.
    Mary Korte, a friend of the Suttners, said she and her husband had told the school board that faculty were bullying students.

'These things were brought to the attention of the appropriate school officials, and its a shame it was swept under the rug', Korte said.
    Bullying seen as cause in the suicide of 17-year-old Kenneth Suttner
    The Columbia Missourian (Columbia, MO)
    1/31/2017
    The jury also found that Dairy Queen was negligent in training its employees about harassment and that Glasgow High School was negligent in bullying prevention.
    Suttner was bullied in the months and years leading up to his death, according to those who testified. Mary Korte, the mother of one of his friends, said: "Kenny spent his life trying to tolerate negative words and actions." She was not alone in her assessment.
    Lexie Graves, Suttner's classmate at Glasgow High School, said she had personally witnessed Suttner being bullied hundreds of times.
    However, Young, the sheriff's deputy, said parents had complained at a school board meeting about Suttner being bullied. Reynolds and Fuemmeler said they could not recall that particular meeting but that they're typically present at school board meetings.

Wilson asked Reynolds to recall what he said when he was served a subpoena to appear at the inquest. Reynolds said he couldn't remember. Wilson said his response was recorded and that he'd said: "This is all just a crock of *****."
    No matter how tragic and unnecessary his death was, he didn't kill himself because of "a bully." It was much more widespread than that and had been going on for years.

How can you single out one person to blame for what happened?

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/the-last-straw.html

The last straw (i.e. the straw that broke the camel's back)

Meaning

The final additional small burden that makes the entirety of one's difficulties unbearable.

Rest in Peace Kenneth.

The Whitney Heichel Memorial Garden
    Bringing "beauty and light into a place where
    there once was so much darkness"
    (Sasquatch, Websleuths member).

"In joy or sadness flowers are our constant friends.
    ― Kakuzō Okakura, The Book Of Tea

R.I.P. Kenneth,
    Your pain is now over and i know you are surrounded by much love. Fly free young man. No more tears in Heaven.
    *FREE LEONARD PELTIER*
    Justice for an innocent man.

I had a job on a construction site and the owner/manager was an abusive bully. Lucky for me I was old enough to know who I was and knew I didn't have to stand for it. So I quit and I explained why. The guy wanted to keep me on and said he would change. I knew better than that - if he reached middle age and hadn't learned how to conduct himself in a rational mannere, he wasn't going to change just for me.

I felt so relieved and good about myself for leaving that situation.

The other thing that I felt good about was that after I left everyone else quit, too!

It's a sad world when this type of scenario happens to young people. Society seems to be cultivating so much hate instead of love. I wonder why?
    Teenagers have such a difficult time anyway, growing from childhood into adulthood.
    Shame on the manager for being such a non example toward this young man as to what it means to conduct a fair workplace. I'm sure she had no way of knowing what would be such a horrible outcome of her actions, but she has to deal with taking the responsibility of those actions.
    *FREE LEONARD PELTIER*

Quote Originally Posted by proudfootz View Post
    I had a job on a construction site and the owner/manager was an abusive bully. Lucky for me I was old enough to know who I was and knew I didn't have to stand for it. So I quit and I explained why. The guy wanted to keep me on and said he would change. I knew better than that - if he reached middle age and hadn't learned how to conduct himself in a rational mannere, he wasn't going to change just for me.

I felt so relieved and good about myself for leaving that situation.

The other thing that I felt good about was that after I left everyone else quit, too!
    Good for you, and IMO bullies are cowards who think they have the right to push people around. Usually when someone stands up to them they back off. Bullies suck.
    *FREE LEONARD PELTIER*

Quote Originally Posted by Tulessa View Post
    I was too because I was Native. My skin is a little darker, but I still bled red. This absolutely breaks my heart!
    I was bullied in school because I was white, so I completely understand. It was a long time ago, but I still remember it vividly.
    Last edited by Gardenista; 02-07-2017 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karinna View Post
    It's a sad world when this type of scenario happens to young people. Society seems to be cultivating so much hate instead of love. I wonder why?
    Teenagers have such a difficult time anyway, growing from childhood into adulthood.
    Shame on the manager for being such a non example toward this young man as to what it means to conduct a fair workplace. I'm sure she had no way of knowing what would be such a horrible outcome of her actions, but she has to deal with taking the responsibility of those actions.
    Its a sad world where this kids parents didn't stand up for him at every level. There is only so much a parent should allow a school or job to do as an effort to solve the problem.

Then it is time to act.

What would you be willing to do to prevent your kid from killing himself?

Would you take him out of the school and home school him?

Would you tell this manager in no uncertain terms that you will not allow your son to be harassed anymore?

Are you willing to do something that may land you in jail to protect your child's life?

Well..it seems this kid's parents failed him. Rather than protect him, they left it to others and now you see the result.

Quote Originally Posted by TweekTweak View Post
    I am very sorry that Kenny took his own life because of a lifetime of bullying. I would never wish that on anyone. I just don't understand how a second-degree manslaughter charge would stick. How can you put someone away for 10 years just for being a mean person?
    I agree, and if the manager is found not guilty (which seems a likely outcome) this does nothing to further the anti-bullying cause. This should be a civil case, not a criminal one, with the restaurant paying major bucks to the family. This will of course not bring the son back to his parents, but it may teach FF joints to better screen and then scrutinize the behavior of the managers they hire.

I too was bullied by a McDonalds' manager from 16 - 18. He was about 30 years old and a jerk to everyone, but he knew which kids most desperately needed the work due to their financial circumstances (I had no car and it was the only employer within walking distance) and he singled them out for the worst treatment - throwing in lots of verbal abuse and sexual harassment. But I did not have problems with kids in school or in any other aspect of my life (beyond being poor) so it would never have led to something like this for me. This manager here may have been the final straw, but I suspect the trial will show this was a more complex situation.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast