Ponies run out of control at parade run over carriage passenger, crash into car

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
Two ponies drawing a carriage in Petaluma's annual Santa Parade ran out of control over the weekend, ejecting and running over one passenger before taking off with the other, a 7-year-old girl, who was plucked from the conveyance by a motorcycle cop just moments before the vehicle crashed into a parked car.

Nancy Turner, 59, of Healdsburg suffered minor injuries from being thrown and run over Saturday. The girl, Turner's granddaughter, was not hurt.

The parade began when Mr. and Mrs. Santa Claus disembarked from the tugboat Petaluma at the turning basin on the Petaluma River around noon, greeted children and boarded a sleigh, police Sgt. Tim Lyons said.

The carriage carrying Turner and her granddaughter was one of several being drawn by horses along Sixth Street. Shortly after the parade began, motorcycle Officer Bert Walker heard a crash and saw Turner being thrown from the carriage and the two black Shetland ponies running out of control.

Turner held on to the carriage and was dragged for a bit along the road before the vehicle ran over her and she let go.

Walker soon caught up with the ponies and carriage, which ran into a street sign and then headed for a parked car.

Walker hopped off his motorcycle, jumped onto the carriage and grabbed the girl before the carriage crashed and the ponies broke free.

Story

Everytime I see a story like this I wonder how many stories like this it will take before the supposedly most intelligent animal on earth realizes that God did not give us animals for entertainment. That's right, I don't think elephants were meant to have cheesy rhinestone "clothing" put on them and made to perform in a circus for us along with a variety of other animals that are used!!

At least they made no mention of destroying the ponies. That's usually the solution.

LButler said:
Everytime I see a story like this I wonder how many stories like this it will take before the supposedly most intelligent animal on earth realizes that God did not give us animals for entertainment. That's right, I don't think elephants were meant to have cheesy rhinestone "clothing" put on them and made to perform in a circus for us along with a variety of other animals that are used!!

At least they made no mention of destroying the ponies. That's usually the solution.
Woah Nellie.....
LButler, I must disagree with you on this one. We breed, raise and drive draft horses. We have teams of Belgians and Suffolks and also a Standardbred buggy horse and one other horse that pull carriages. Every summer the BarnGod carries people from Old Town, a museum, to the Kit Carson County Carousel, an historic 100 year old carousel and back. We just went down to a small town south of us on Friday and gave buggy rides before the town lit the streets with Christmas lights and lit the Christmas tree on the courthouse grounds. It was cold, but delightful and a fun evening. We do not expose our horses to any danger and will not do an event where there are motorcycles or loud explosions.

Horses have served man for thousands of years. They have carried warriors throughout early history, plowed and cultivated crops, carried and pulled settlers to open the West and delivered mail across the United States. They helped move cattle along the historic trails from ranches to markets. We would not be where we are today without our relationship with the horse. I could go on for pages about our relationship with horses, both throughout the general population and personally. Thanksgiving we gave a 6 year old her very first ride by herself on my Apaloosa mare. That horse was so tuned into the fact that she had a small one on her back and took extra care to stand still and walk slowly. It was a delight to see the joy on her face. Thlis same horse has visited the nursing home with her newborn colt. You would have cried to see her go gently up to those elderly folks and gently lower her head into their laps for a hug and a pet. Even the little one knew to be gentle.

Something spooked those ponies, I'm sure. I don't think the ponies were normally out of control. Your response was overboard given the situation. Sorry if I'm wrong, but I have strong opinions and feelings about this.

I don't have a problem with horses being used for different things, but I do object to elephants, lions and the like being used for circus entertainment. In fact, I refuse to attend them for that reason.

BarnGoddess said:
Woah Nellie.....
LButler, I must disagree with you on this one. We breed, raise and drive draft horses. We have teams of Belgians and Suffolks and also a Standardbred buggy horse and one other horse that pull carriages. Every summer the BarnGod carries people from Old Town, a museum, to the Kit Carson County Carousel, an historic 100 year old carousel and back. We just went down to a small town south of us on Friday and gave buggy rides before the town lit the streets with Christmas lights and lit the Christmas tree on the courthouse grounds. It was cold, but delightful and a fun evening. We do not expose our horses to any danger and will not do an event where there are motorcycles or loud explosions.

Horses have served man for thousands of years. They have carried warriors throughout early history, plowed and cultivated crops, carried and pulled settlers to open the West and delivered mail across the United States. They helped move cattle along the historic trails from ranches to markets. We would not be where we are today without our relationship with the horse. I could go on for pages about our relationship with horses, both throughout the general population and personally. Thanksgiving we gave a 6 year old her very first ride by herself on my Apaloosa mare. That horse was so tuned into the fact that she had a small one on her back and took extra care to stand still and walk slowly. It was a delight to see the joy on her face. Thlis same horse has visited the nursing home with her newborn colt. You would have cried to see her go gently up to those elderly folks and gently lower her head into their laps for a hug and a pet. Even the little one knew to be gentle.

Something spooked those ponies, I'm sure. I don't think the ponies were normally out of control. Your response was overboard given the situation. Sorry if I'm wrong, but I have strong opinions and feelings about this.

:clap: I agree!!!!!!!!

LButler said:

So I shouldn't mention here how often I get enjoyment from dressing up my cat???

:laugh: [Oh Pook that is funny]

Pook said:
So I shouldn't mention here how often I get enjoyment from dressing up my cat???

Same here, I refuse to go to circuses and the like. And I do object to horses being over-used on city streets. That's what cars are for - it's no longer a necessity to use horses for transport. I've seen too many overworked, miserable, unkempt horses, decorated and even painted with bags of their own crap strapped to thier hineys tooling around tourists.

Sure, there are good owners like BarnGoddess and her hub, they're not parading their horses through Times Square and you can tell the love they have for their horses from her post. But they are the exception, not the rule, from what I've seen in my travels.

When I hear a story like this one, my first thought is always, why was the animal put in that situation. Hello, Sigfreid and Roy, keeping lions or tigers or whatever in a hotel? Please.

Sorry for the ramble, I'm passionate about the subject as well. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back