Ny Bedbug Infestations!!!!

I saw a case about bedbugs on People's Court. The woman was suing her landlord for not ridding her apartment of them. The woman had sores and bites all over her legs. Supposedly, bedbugs are really hard to exterminate and require some type of special treatment. :eek:

I could not watch the clip. Is there a text link??

Please let me know. I live in NY.

A couple of years ago while staying at a NY hotel I woke up the next morning to big red itchy bites all over my legs..I complained to the management when I was there and again when I returned home, basically I was told too bad..I will never again book a hotel through Hotels.com. I had my reservations while booking befor my trip, but thought that Howard Johnsons wouldnt be a bad choice for the money. Almost 90 bucks a night.

If they are in NY hotels, they will soon be all over the country.

I've been hearing and seeing shows about these nasty critters. It sure makes me leary about staying in hotels.

Bedbug infestations and NYC go back centuries. They have recuring bouts of infestations, due largely to the close quarters & the huge turn over of customers in hotels & hostels, especially of those from 3rd world countries. Same with the cockroaches. When I lived in NYC we could never get rid of the roaches because when they came in to spray every month, the bugs would simply scurry over to the empty building next door! I remember the day they closed down the last true "flophouse" in the Bowery, which was above CBGB's---you could literally see the bedbugs (actually a form of louse) crawling off the mattresses they tossed on the curb and heading for the hills.

The best way to test for bedbugs is to ask to see a room first, then shove your arm up under the pillows, under the sheets--they don't like light. If your arm itches--don't stay there.
Sleep tight, and don't let the bed bugs bite!

BillyGoatGruff said:
The best way to test for bedbugs is to ask to see a room first, then shove your arm up under the pillows, under the sheets--they don't like light. If your arm itches--don't stay there.
Sleep tight, and don't let the bed bugs bite!

Actually, you don't have to get that personal with them to check. A close inspection of the mattress and boxspring seams will tell you all you need to know. Even if you don't see an actual bedbug, you will see their tiny, black feces sprinkled in the seams. They love to hide behind headboards and picture frames, too, but often those are screwed into the walls in hotels these days and it is hard to check there. I've had my own run-ins with bedbugs (in Asia) and have to knock-on-wood that I have never encountered them here in NY given all the temporary and sometimes seedy apartments I have lived in and with the people I have lived with over the years.

Ew! I was just in NYC a couple weeks ago! With the place I stayed at I'm shocked I didn't bring home some bedbugs...I stayed at the Regency Inn & Suites (formerly Howard Johnson Inn) on 34th St. between 7th and 8th. Let me say right away that this place is a total hole. We're walking down the hall and I felt like I was gonna fall through the floor. But ok, I figure the carpet is strong so it'll save me if the floor gives way. I continue walking to my room and when I walk in the first thing I see is the housekeeping girl's cleaning bucket and all of her cleaning supplies outside the bathroom. Ok, guess she forgot it, it's NYC I'm sure they're busy. Well I walk into the bathroom and there was absolutely no excuse for what I saw in the toilet. I won't go into details but they had to have some guy come up and unclog it. Then the girl comes back to claim her bucket and she goes into the bathroom and closes the door. I hear her spraying and spraying and spraying (what I later find out is tons of Lysol) and finally she opens the door and leaves. I was like gagging from the smell so we didn't stick around long and we went out shopping. All in all, it was a really crappy place to stay but the price was cheap and we were close to everything. I guess you get what you pay for.

I found this hotels.com review of the hotel we stayed at:

"The quality of this hotel is so bad, that it is unacceptable at any price," says one guest, and most others agree. The litany of complaints includes: "sloped" floors, "dodgy electrics," "frequent periods of no hot water," "dark, dusty, dirty" rooms, "rude and unwelcoming" service, "torn" wallpaper, "threadbare," "dirty" carpet, and the "overall squalor" of the hotel described as "super scary." The few who liked the hotel praised its location and price. The overwhelming majority, however, wouldn't recommend this "disgrace to the Howard Johnson name."

Ixions Fire said:
Actually, you don't have to get that personal with them to check. A close inspection of the mattress and boxspring seams will tell you all you need to know. Even if you don't see an actual bedbug, you will see their tiny, black feces sprinkled in the seams. They love to hide behind headboards and picture frames, too, but often those are screwed into the walls in hotels these days and it is hard to check there. I've had my own run-ins with bedbugs (in Asia) and have to knock-on-wood that I have never encountered them here in NY given all the temporary and sometimes seedy apartments I have lived in and with the people I have lived with over the years.
Most people aren't going to expend the effort to strip back bedding to look at the mattress or box springs, unless ts a place where they give you the bedding at check-in (I've stayed at a couple of those).

Paradise said:
Ew! I was just in NYC a couple weeks ago! With the place I stayed at I'm shocked I didn't bring home some bedbugs...I stayed at the Regency Inn & Suites (formerly Howard Johnson Inn) on 34th St. between 7th and 8th. Let me say right away that this place is a total hole. We're walking down the hall and I felt like I was gonna fall through the floor. But ok, I figure the carpet is strong so it'll save me if the floor gives way. I continue walking to my room and when I walk in the first thing I see is the housekeeping girl's cleaning bucket and all of her cleaning supplies outside the bathroom. Ok, guess she forgot it, it's NYC I'm sure they're busy. Well I walk into the bathroom and there was absolutely no excuse for what I saw in the toilet. I won't go into details but they had to have some guy come up and unclog it. Then the girl comes back to claim her bucket and she goes into the bathroom and closes the door. I hear her spraying and spraying and spraying (what I later find out is tons of Lysol) and finally she opens the door and leaves. I was like gagging from the smell so we didn't stick around long and we went out shopping. All in all, it was a really crappy place to stay but the price was cheap and we were close to everything. I guess you get what you pay for.

"The quality of this hotel is so bad, that it is unacceptable at any price," says one guest, and most others agree. The litany of complaints includes: "sloped" floors, "dodgy electrics," "frequent periods of no hot water," "dark, dusty, dirty" rooms, "rude and unwelcoming" service, "torn" wallpaper, "threadbare," "dirty" carpet, and the "overall squalor" of the hotel described as "super scary." The few who liked the hotel praised its location and price. The overwhelming majority, however, wouldn't recommend this "disgrace to the Howard Johnson name."
34th between 7th & 8th? That's Hell's Kitchen, if memory serves--or close to it. They've changed the neighborhood's name to Clinton or something like that, but it's still Hell's Kitchen.

Paradise said:

That is the Roach Hotel/Bug Bite Inn I stayed at..formerly HoJo Penn Station..directly across from Penn Station. I dropped one of my recharagble batteries for my camera and it rolled under the bed:eek: and there was this big dead bug laying there:eek: it looked like one of the roaches you see in Mexico:eek: .I took a napkin and picked it up, set it on the table and took a video of it..should of used digital. and left it there for the housekeeper. There was no way I would eat there free contential breakfast..the elevator was scary..lol..only 2 people could fit in it..one if you are on the large size.

NYC_HOJ2-exter-1.jpg

http://www.hotels.com/property.do?searchMtmPropertySupplierId=&COYear=2006&CIMonth=2&CODay=8&allPropertyTypesSelected=true&CIDay=4&priceRangeKey=1&paging=1&PSRC=OT2&CIYear=2006&usertypedcity=&roomOccupancyString=1||2|0|0&searchType=&mtnHotelID=279585&alternateSell=&sortBy=HCOMPICK&numrooms=1&destination=572b0850-4e3f-469b-87b2-c17ed3ea049b|c2016f9b-b42a-4dfc-b460-eef1ddbbb7c1|New%20York,%20NY,%20USA|1&searchID=AC102643-A925-5C91-07E2-CD1AE819508D&propertyIdsToCompareString=&COMonth=2&TSRC=1&VSRC=HRN%20MRKT&SID_FROM_COOKIE={AC102643-A925-5C91-07E2-CD1AE8195012}&selected=4

Ms_Friskie said:
..the elevator was scary..lol..only 2 people could fit in it..one if you are on the large size. . .
What if one of you was a really large bed bug?

Ms_Friskie said:
That is the Roach Hotel/Bug Bite Inn I stayed at..formerly HoJo Penn Station..directly across from Penn Station. I dropped one of my recharagble batteries for my camera and it rolled under the bed:eek: and there was this big dead bug laying there:eek: it looked like one of the roaches you see in Mexico:eek: .I took a napkin and picked it up, set it on the table and took a video of it..should of used digital. and left it there for the housekeeper. There was no way I would eat there free contential breakfast..the elevator was scary..lol..only 2 people could fit in it..one if you are on the large size.

NYC_HOJ2-exter-1.jpg

http://www.hotels.com/property.do?searchMtmPropertySupplierId=&COYear=2006&CIMonth=2&CODay=8&allPropertyTypesSelected=true&CIDay=4&priceRangeKey=1&paging=1&PSRC=OT2&CIYear=2006&usertypedcity=&roomOccupancyString=1||2|0|0&searchType=&mtnHotelID=279585&alternateSell=&sortBy=HCOMPICK&numrooms=1&destination=572b0850-4e3f-469b-87b2-c17ed3ea049b|c2016f9b-b42a-4dfc-b460-eef1ddbbb7c1|New%20York,%20NY,%20USA|1&searchID=AC102643-A925-5C91-07E2-CD1AE819508D&propertyIdsToCompareString=&COMonth=2&TSRC=1&VSRC=HRN%20MRKT&SID_FROM_COOKIE={AC102643-A925-5C91-07E2-CD1AE8195012}&selected=4
I was kinda wondering if we stayed at the same one. That elevator was damn scary! I'm not a small girl, and my fiance isn't small either and we had to suck it in big time to get ourselves and our bags into that elevator. I had never seen one like it, that had a doorway that you had to open and everything. Anyway, yeah...the shower was all mildewed and the rugs...don't get me started on the rugs. It makes me sick to think we spent two days there. :sick: Also, the walls are paper thin...found that out at 3 in the morning when our neighbors were "making their bed creak".;) I don't think I'll be letting my fiance book vacations anymore, although the price was cheap and it was in a good location the hotel sucked.

Edited to add: Don't believe the pictures on hotel.com they make that place look way better then it is!

Ms_Friskie said:
Oh, god--THAT place. It's had a few dozen names over the last few decades.
Word of advice: you don't want to book a "reasonably priced" hotel within an easy walking distance of Penn Station. Or Port Authority. All the hotels in that general area are in buildings 150 years old, that have such huge turn over they never have a reason to shut them down for complete remodeling.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lee k
Back