Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sillybilly

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Aerial footage to take centre stage at Douglas Garland triple murder trial

Kevin Martin
More from Kevin Martin
Published on: February 5, 2017 | Last Updated: February 5, 2017 3:45 PM MST

untitled-15.jpg

Jurors in the Douglas Garland triple-murder trial are expected to be shown, on Monday, aerial photos which the Crown will argue reveal the bodies of the three victims on his farm.

*Media, Maps & Timeline*

Rules Etiquette & Information

Nancy Hixt Twitter

Reid Fiest Twitter

Kevin Martin Twitter

Meghan Grant Twitter

Kathleen Petty Twitter

Val Fortney Twitter

Thread #1
Thread #2

Thread #3
Thread #4

Morning Gang - I will be away from the computer today, likely until after the lunch break. Hopefully someone can share Tweets, but if not, I will catch us up after I get back.
I hate that I'm going to miss this morning's testimony. Should be a very interesting day and no doubt there will be lots to talk about afterwards.
-JS

It would be interesting to know if the neighbours heard anything when DG broke into the Liknes residence and injured and/or killed his victims.

I looked at Google maps, and the houses were very close together, and the street looks fairly narrow. Also, the houses and what appear to be apartments have bedrooms and balconies facing the road.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/12...f282c!8m2!3d51.0194585!4d-114.0655318!6m1!1e1

When I think about my neighbourhood, no matter what time of day or night, there is always someone coming and going, or standing around in their driveways for a late night smoke. We have central air, and I have a bedroom facing the street, and I have heard commotions out on the street at night with the C/A running and the TV on in the bedroom.

Athough it was a long weekend, I'm sure that at least some of the neighbours were home. Did they hear screams and yelling, and just dismiss it as young people coming home from a party? Surely, someone noticed a distinctive older model truck in the driveway.

Looks like the aerial photos will be shown today. I honestly don't think any msm is going to release them. Especially since the crown has stated they are not wearing shirts or pants. I will be shocked if any of the msm publish them. Not saying i can't be wrong. I often am! It just seems disrespectful to the victims and the families to release photos like that.

It would be interesting to know if the neighbours heard anything when DG broke into the Liknes residence and injured and/or killed his victims.

I looked at Google maps, and the houses were very close together, and the street looks fairly narrow. Also, the houses and what appear to be apartments have bedrooms and balconies facing the road.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/12...f282c!8m2!3d51.0194585!4d-114.0655318!6m1!1e1

When I think about my neighbourhood, no matter what time of day or night, there is always someone coming and going, or standing around in their driveways for a late night smoke. We have central air, and I have a bedroom facing the street, and I have heard commotions out on the street at night with the C/A running and the TV on in the bedroom.

Athough it was a long weekend, I'm sure that at least some of the neighbours were home. Did they hear screams and yelling, and just dismiss it as young people coming home from a party? Surely, someone noticed a distinctive older model truck in the driveway.

Re: the neighbours, I recall from way back at the beginning that the house next door - the side with the L home's side door - was empty. Does anyone else remember that? I can go back to the earlier threads for a link, I just can't do it right away. I do remember it from our discussions, but not the source of that info.

I'm totally confused by the floorplans of this house in relation to the photos we are privy to. The carpeting color by the mudroom is the same color as seen in one of the basement photos. It seems like that location with all of that blood on the light colored carpeting is a little tiny landing at the mudroom/side entrance, from which you then have to go either up to the kitchen, or down to the basement. moo

We can start to puzzle the photos together with the floor plans - I can do that but my time is limited. I can start this evening if it's helpful.

Looks like the aerial photos will be shown today. I honestly don't think any msm is going to release them. Especially since the crown has stated they are not wearing shirts or pants. I will be shocked if any of the msm publish them. Not saying i can't be wrong. I often am! It just seems disrespectful to the victims and the families to release photos like that.

I agree - at least for local media - however I think they will be released somewhere by someone (Daily Mail maybe?). That is assuming they are released to media at all. They may well be out of focus or difficult to tell whats what, but could the judge determine that the pics will not be released at all?

We can start to puzzle the photos together with the floor plans - I can do that but my time is limited. I can start this evening if it's helpful.

I thought the floor plans were released already. I'll go back and look but I recall the plans came out earlier in the trial. MOO

ETA - oops I misread you Otto, disregard! Sorry!

I thought the floor plans were released already. I'll go back and look but I recall the plans came out earlier in the trial. MOO

ETA - oops I misread you Otto, disregard! Sorry!

In some trials, photos are aligned with floorplans to tell more of a visual story ... floorpan in the middle of the illustration, thumbnails surrounding the floorpan and lines connecting the photo to the location on the floorplan.

Re: the neighbours, I recall from way back at the beginning that the house next door - the side with the L home's side door - was empty. Does anyone else remember that? I can go back to the earlier threads for a link, I just can't do it right away. I do remember it from our discussions, but not the source of that info.

I recall that as well. CPS had to have canvassed the neighbour because that's how the CCTV of the green truck was obtained almost immediately. The residence right across the street was also vacant and for sale, if I remember correctly.

It's not really unusual that nobody noticed anything going on. Park Hill was a community in transition. High increases in lot values, new infill being built, common for older houses meanwhile to be used as rentals bought for speculation/land appreciation. Possibly many of the longer term residents had already cashed out and moved on, leaving a community where nobody knows each other. As a result anything unusual doesn't really stand out.

As I recall Liknes's home had also already been sold with the home to be demolished and the large lot to be divided into two at the time the murders occurred.

I recall that as well. CPS had to have canvassed the neighbour because that's how the CCTV of the green truck was obtained almost immediately. The residence right across the street was also vacant and for sale, if I remember correctly.

It's not really unusual that nobody noticed anything going on. Park Hill was a community in transition. High increases in lot values, new infill being built, common for older houses meanwhile to be used as rentals bought for speculation/land appreciation. Possibly many of the longer term residents had already cashed out and moved on, leaving a community where nobody knows each other. As a result anything unusual doesn't really stand out.

As I recall Liknes's home had also already been sold with the large lot destined to be divided into two at the time the murders occurred.

That's true. Liknes had quietly sold the house to a lawyer, and the couple continued to live in the house until the plan to move to Mexico at the end of June, 2014.

That's true. Liknes had quietly sold the house to a lawyer, and the couple continued to live in the house until the plan to move to Mexico at the end of June, 2014.

Moving to Evansburg, just west of Edmonton was also mentioned. It seemed to me that their plan was to become Snowbirds, spending winters in Mexico.

I think they will show the photos. In an MSM article which someone posted yesterday in regard to what would take place at court today, it made it sound like these images are not going to present as a for-sure thing, but rather, left up to interpretation of what one sees. The Crown has stated that all 3 victims can clearly be seen, however that may not be obvious.

I'm not sure if this is the same article posted earlier, but this one says:

“You will have to look at them and determine what they show for yourself, but the Crown states they clearly show the bodies of Alvin, Kathryn and Nathan."

http://globalnews.ca/news/3223122/d...l-to-hear-testimony-from-aerial-photographer/

Yes, either bought by the lawyer or held in trust by him for an anonymous purchaser. I recall many theories tossed around regarding those arrangements as well.

Jurors in the Douglas Garland triple-murder trial are expected to be shown, on Monday, aerial photos which the Crown will argue reveal the bodies of the three victims on his farm.

“You will see the aerial photos during the trial . . . you will have to look at them and determine what they show for yourself, but the Crown states they clearly show the bodies of Alvin, Kathryn and Nathan.

“Alvin and Kathryn laying prone, face down (on) the grass at the Garland farm — no shirt on, no pants on,” she said. “You will also see a small figure curled up on the grass, the Crown says that is Nathan.”

It’s the prosecution’s theory Garland violently kidnapped the trio from the Liknes’ Parkhill residence in southwest Calgary because of a long-standing grudge he had with Alvin over an oil field pump patent.

They say he then took them to the 40-acre Airdrie farm he shared with his elderly parents and murdered them.
http://calgaryherald.com/news/crime...-stage-at-douglas-garland-triple-murder-trial

I have to say that I'm feeling a little unsettled about the thought of what we might hear today. [emoji53]

We've a lot of disturbing things so far but thinking about their bodies lying there just makes it so final.

I hope the images are indisputable though so there isn't any doubt that this guy gets what he deserves. [emoji35]

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

One thing I'm wondering, did the cadaver dog alert at the same place the Ls and N are alleged to be located in the aerial photos?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Morning Gang - I will be away from the computer today, likely until after the lunch break. Hopefully someone can share Tweets, but if not, I will catch us up after I get back.
I hate that I'm going to miss this morning's testimony. Should be a very interesting day and no doubt there will be lots to talk about afterwards.
-JS

I should be around at least until the lunch break. With the explosive evidence slated to come today however, I suspect there may be legal arguments and some down time so you probably won't miss much.

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie now43 seconds ago
I will be live tweeting from #Garland trial again today on behalf of @metrocalgary Note: some details/images may be disturbing #yucky

I'm hoping that the aerial photos will show the bodies on Jul 1 and show them gone on July 2. It must have take a considerable amount of time for DG to burn the remains.
'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member