984 users online (186 members and 798 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Anton Pilipa, missing 5 years, found wandering on Brazilian highway

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/anton-pilipa-found-1.3968958
    A Toronto man, missing for five years and feared dead, is now back home after being discovered wandering on a highway in Brazil.

Anton Pilipa, 39, who was last seen in Scarborough in 2012, flew back to Toronto Monday morning with his brother Stefan after being released from a hospital in the northern Brazilian city of Manaus.
    Stefan Pilipa told CBC Toronto he believes his brother — who had lived in Toronto, Montreal and British Columbia before disappearing — had been suffering from mental health issues when he went missing.
    He believes Anton, whom he describes as an anti-poverty activist, got to Brazil by walking, sometimes with no shoes, as well as hitchhiking and hiding in the back of transport trucks

Anton Pilipa was found on a Brazilian highway five years after disappearing from an intersection near his home in Scarborough. He now says he knows he's 'lucky to be alive.' (Alberto Cesar Araujo/BBC Brasil)
    Attached Images Attached Images

wow, amazing. The article offers a lot of heartwarming details. I admit, I am choked up by this one. Welcome home Anton.
    "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
    - E. B. White

rbbm
    http://plus55.com/brazil-culture/new...umented-brazil
    Pilipa disappeared in early 2012 shortly after starting treatment for schizophrenia in his native Toronto. His family had been searching for him ever since. Pilipa left Canada suddenly, leaving all of his documents and belongings behind.

As Pilipa’s family gathered the documents and money necessary to bring him home, Pilipa stayed in a hospital in Manaus. The wife of the Canadian Counsel in Manaus, Mark Peters, is a psychiatrist and helped with his treatment.
    Before the Brazilian police found him, Pilipa had walked through nine countries. From Canada to Brazil, he crossed the U.S., Mexico, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, and Venezuela. He lived off of food and clothes that he found in the trash, or from the goodwill of strangers.

What a wonderful story. I'm so glad he was found. His family must be overjoyed! Imagine walking through NINE countries!! How wonderful he found a helping hand from Mark Peters.

This case ties in somewhat with a young man from Germany, who went missing in Bulgaria and whose DNA was actually compared to an ( unidentified) Anton in Brazil!
    Disappointing news for missing Lars Mittank's mother, but good news for Anton's family.
    Hope Lars will be found too.
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?328421-Bulgaria-Lars-Mittank-28-German-tourist-Varna-airport-8-July-2014
    Bulgaria - Lars Mittank, 28, German tourist, Varna airport, 8 July 2014

Great news. Over the last few days I've bumped up a few old threads about people with schizophrenia who have been missing for years... I always think suicide is likely, and that they are unlikely to survive on the streets without money for long. Great to know that it can happen.

I hope that Anton's family can get him the treatment he needs and improve his quality of life. He has refused treatment and disappeared for all these years, and the big worry is that he may do it again. He may not want to take medication or settle down with his family. He may not recognise that he is ill and people are trying to help him. With a cruel, complex illness like schizophrenia, sadly it might not be as simple as "happy ever after" now that he's been found by his family

After he was picked up by the police and his family was notified he was in Brazil, Anton was placed in a hospital.

Shortly after, he ran away and headed into a jungle area in the northern Brazilian state of Amazonas, prompting a new round of worry for the police and his family.

"That is the area where we talk about huge predators like crocodiles and jungle cats..."

In the two years leading up to his disappearance, the family had struggled to get Anton the support and treatment he needed.

In January 2011, Anton was involved in an altercation and charged with assault and weapons offences. He went missing before he was due in court...

After Anton's return to Toronto Monday, Toronto police said he was arrested for his outstanding charges before being released later in the day on bail. He has upcoming court dates to address the charges.
    http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/t...ound-1.3968958

anton-and-stefan-pilipa.JPG
    The brothers reunited.

http://www.cbc.ca/listen/shows/metro...gment/11610736
    Radio interview with Anton's brother.
    Reunited Brother

Feb 7, 2017
    Anton Pilipa of Toronto suffers from mental illness, five years ago, he went missing. A Brazilian police officer found him, and decided to go looking for anyone who knew him. Matt Galloway spoke with Anton's brother, Stefan Pilipa.

In the bottom pic, that's the same guy on the right as the one on the left? They look totally different.

Wow, what an amazing and intriguing story, I bet Anton has a ton of tales to tell!

I hope he can get settled for the timebeing and get any help he needs, and I'd love it if he could put his experiences into words. I'd love to go to those countries, just not barefoot!

I see Leo DiCaprio playing him in a movie of his adventure someday

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by neesaki View Post
    In the bottom pic, that's the same guy on the right as the one on the left? They look totally different.
    He looks completely different except the mark on his neck is the same.
    It just goes to show how differently a missing person can look after a period of time living rough AND walking across 9 countries!
    Interesting to note for other missing person cases, that Anton did all that, yet had left his id papers ect. behind, surviving on food and clothing he either found or was donated to him by kind -hearted people.

Quote Originally Posted by ninij9 View Post
    I see Leo DiCaprio playing him in a movie of his adventure someday

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Oh yes, quick, phone the film studios!

Canadian man who disappeared in 2012 is found 6,500 miles away in the Amazon jungle after walking barefoot across two continents

• Anton Pilipa disappeared from his Vancouver, Canada home in 2012
    • He was spotted 6,500 miles away walking barefoot in the Amazon jungle
    • The 39-year-old had no money or identification on him when he was found
    • Pilipa survived by scrounging in the trash for food and clothes, picking fruit, and relying in the kindness of strangers
    • Family said they had almost given up hope before they received the call before Christmas that Pilipa was in Brazil
    • Stefan said he was shocked by the condition of his brother, whose body and face had 'taken the toll' of such an incredible journey
    • Anton has now returned to Canada where he is living with Stefan, his sister-in-law and their children

Recovered: Anton Pilipa trekked across two continents, walking mostly barefoot with just the clothes on his back

'I was stunned,' Anton's brother Stefan told the DailyMail.com. 'I told myself that he was dead. Because that was the only thing I could come up with that explained his absence.
    'But in my heart of hearts, I didn't think he could be. '
    'I was really shocked,' added Stefan, who said he'd spent years asking himself the same question, ''Where is he? What happened to him?'
    'I feel amazed that he's alive and had made it that far.'
    Anton, who has been placed back on his schizophrenia medication, traveled through at least ten countries from Canada, including the United States, Mexico, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela, Argentina and Brazil - all without a passport and with little more than the clothes in his back.
    His brother said he had one bizarre mission; to get to the National Library of Buenos Aires in Argentina.
    Tragically, when he finally made it to the library, after walking thousands of miles, he was turned away because he didn't have any identification. So he turned around and began his trek into Brazil where he would eventually be found

I think he looks great, all that traveling considered. He still has a nice light in his (very kind) eyes. This thread still chokes me up. What are the odds, ya know?...
    "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
    - E. B. White

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast