SexMale
Height (inches)73.0
Weight (pounds)190.0

Circumstances

CityDurango
StateColorado
Zip code
CountyLa Plata
CircumstancesIrvin was last seen in Durango, CO on 01/23/2012 leaving the Durango Mountain Resort. His vehicle was then located in San Juan County, NM.

Irvin had lived in Durango, CO for about 12-14 years prior to moving to San Juan County, NM about six months prior to his disappearance.

Physical

Hair colorBlack
Head hair
Body hair
Facial hair
Left eye colorBrown
Right eye colorBrown
Eye description

TattoosTattoo on back

Investigating Agency

TitleUndersheriff
First nameShane
Last nameFerrari
Phone505-334-6107
Website
Case number12-4220
Date reportedJanuary 29, 2012

JurisdictionCounty
AgencySan Juan County Sheriff's Office
Address 121 Road 5500
Address 2
CityFarmington
StateNew Mexico
Zip code87401

http://https://durangoherald.com/articles/34558-former-durangoan-missing-since-jan-24
https://www.abqjournal.com/86198/updated-missing-mans-dead-friend-a-fugitive.html
http://www.daily-times.com/story/ar...heriffs-office-detectives-are-still/75984524/
https://durangoherald.com/articles/35792-local-woman-8217-s-remains-found-in-n-m
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• img_70889.jpg
    img_70889.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 39
  • img_70891.jpeg
    img_70891.jpeg
    40.7 KB · Views: 36
It has been over five years now since Irvin went missing. His vehicle was found outside of Farmington, NM with blood in it. The body of his friend was found in a nearby culvert but Irvin remains missing (and is not considered a suspect in his friend's death). The homicide of his friend remains unsolved. The Rangel family has offered a $30,000 cash reward for information leading to Irvin's whereabouts. Today NamUs generated a missing person's case file for Irvin; hopefully that will help with this case.

Is there a possibility he was procuring marijuana (or even another drug) from Durango and driving to NM to sell it?

I ask this b/c I had a handiman in Colorado (near Durango) who would tend to our family cabin when we weren't in town, but he also grew marijuana and would drive to NM to sell it.

Could this be a drug rip off and then murder? Did they go to do a deal and their product was stolen and they were subsequently murdered to avoid payment or retribution?

I spent much of my life in that area between Durango, CO and NM. I know the demographics and what it takes to survive up there. There is a pretty crappy job market and you either have to find odd jobs or trades or else risk having to do more alternative things to make a living.

[h=1]UPDATED: Missing Man’s Dead Friend a Fugitive[/h][h=5]By ABQJournal News Staff[/h][h=6]Published: Wednesday, February 8th, 2012 at 5:52am
Updated: Wednesday, February 8th, 2012 at 5:56am
[/h]ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — San Juan County sheriff’s deputies have identified the body of a man found Saturday about a mile from a missing Farmington man’s vehicle as that of a Washington state gang member and a wanted fugitive, The Daily Times reported.Michael DeCoteau, 29, was shot multiple times and his body shoved into a culvert about a mile from the vehicle belonging to Irving Rangel, 22, who remains missing after his car was located about 4 miles south of Farmington, The Daily Times said.
Deputies first identified DeCoteau by his tattoos — one of which said “Meth is my destiny” tattooed on his neck — and the state Office of the Medical Investigator in Albuquerque confirmed DeCoteau’s identity on Tuesday, Sheriff Ken Christesen said.
Both men were last seen Jan. 24 leaving Purgatory at Durango Mountain Resort, according to The Daily Times.
Investigators found that Rangel had traveled to the state of Washington and brought DeCoteau back to Farmington a week or two before Christmas, the paper reported.
DeCoteau has a lengthy criminal history and was wanted the Washington Department of Corrections for failing to report in as required by the conditions of his release, The Daily Times said.
He has been classified as a high violent offender and was known to carry guns and use drugs, according to the paper.
A spokeswoman for the Washington Department of Corrections told The Daily Times by phone Tuesday that DeCoteau was a “chronic absconder” and had been in an out of prison since at least 2001.
His convictions included three counts of assault, two counts of drug possession and criminal gang intimidation, and he has been arrested for riots, assaults, possession of stolen property, weapons violations, theft and auto burglary, The Daily Times said.

5:50am 2/7/12 — Body Found Near Missing Man’s Truck
The search for a missing San Juan County man who has been missing since Jan. 24 took a strange turn Saturday when the man’s family found the body of another man a short distance from their son’s vehicle, The Durango Herald reported.
Irvin Rangel, 22, was last seen Jan. 24 leaving Purgatory at Durango Mountain Resort in a black 2001 Lincoln Navigator, which was later found abandoned in a remote location about 4 miles south of Farmington, The Herald said."
https://www.abqjournal.com/86198/updated-missing-mans-dead-friend-a-fugitive.html

After reading about his friend I do believe in theory that the young men were killed b/c of some sort of drug deal gone wrong. This does not and should not effect our passion to bring Irvin home. Where are you Irvin?

WesternArtist, have you thought about checking the deceased friends social media accounts to see if maybe he was having a dispute with anyone noteworthy? If his friend Michael DeCoteau (who was older than him just to note) I am thinkin Irvin was following his lead and was collateral damage in a sort of way though he wasn't completely innocent.

I think that whoever murdered these two was more connected to Michael. Just a gut feeling. The police must have an idea of who the young men were going to visit that day. I can't imagine there weren't NM folks in their network that were less than savory for LE to follow up on.

It is my opinion that Irvin's body probably is within 2 mile radius of where his friend was found. Let's call your sis in!

Is there a possibility he was procuring marijuana (or even another drug) from Durango and driving to NM to sell it?

I ask this b/c I had a handiman in Colorado (near Durango) who would tend to our family cabin when we weren't in town, but he also grew marijuana and would drive to NM to sell it.

Could this be a drug rip off and then murder? Did they go to do a deal and their product was stolen and they were subsequently murdered to avoid payment or retribution?

I spent much of my life in that area between Durango, CO and NM. I know the demographics and what it takes to survive up there. There is a pretty crappy job market and you either have to find odd jobs or trades or else risk having to do more alternative things to make a living.

I am so glad to have someone look at this case who is familiar with the area. There is a possibility that they could have met foul play in some sort of a set-up. The location where the vehicle was found is pretty remote which makes me think maybe whoever did it was with them or followed them there. This article seems to have the most detailed description of the locations. It's also just a terribly sad case. http://www.daily-times.com/story/ar...heriffs-office-detectives-are-still/75984524/

WesternArtist, have you thought about checking the deceased friends social media accounts to see if maybe he was having a dispute with anyone noteworthy? If his friend Michael DeCoteau (who was older than him just to note) I am thinkin Irvin was following his lead and was collateral damage in a sort of way though he wasn't completely innocent.

I think that whoever murdered these two was more connected to Michael. Just a gut feeling. The police must have an idea of who the young men were going to visit that day. I can't imagine there weren't NM folks in their network that were less than savory for LE to follow up on.

It is my opinion that Irvin's body probably is within 2 mile radius of where his friend was found. Let's call your sis in!

I think that since Michael was just visiting from WA it's sort of the reverse. Irvin had lived in Durango for a while and just moved to Farmington so IMO he is more likely to have had contacts there. I have looked at social media but didn't find anything. I am surprised that phone records didn't help more. I know the detectives in this case are really trying; this case bothers them so I believe they have looked at the phone records by now.

Both of these men had very supportive families who still deserve answers. I am really surprised that it's been 5 years and Irvin still hasn't been found...:(

IMO they likely believe Irvin didn't kill Michael bc there is probably evidence indicating Irvin is also deceased.

Would the murderers have gone through the effort to move Irvin's body miles away from the car and Michael's body - or is Irvin's body still out in that remote area within a mile or 2 radius of where Michael was found?

I worry what remains of him, if that is the case, might be scavenged bones scattered or lost :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO they likely believe Irvin didn't kill Michael bc there is probably evidence indicating Irvin is also deceased.

Would the murderers have gone through the effort to move Irvin's body miles away from the car and Michael's body - or is Irvin's body still out in that remote area within a mile or 2 radius of where Michael was found?

I worry what remains of him, if that is the case, might be scavenged bones scattered or lost :(

Yes, I believe it looks like Irvin was probably killed in the vehicle.

"Today, authorities maintain Rangel was a victim, citing a significant amount of blood evidence linked to both Rangel and DeCoteau found in the black 2001 Lincoln Navigator at the scene." http://www.daily-times.com/story/ar...heriffs-office-detectives-are-still/75984524/

Perhaps the murders occurred at another site, Irvin was dumped somewhere else first and then Michael and the vehicle were left in this remote area... Either way after 5 years out in the desert I suspect that there would be little evidence left on Irvin. He still really needs to be found though! I also agree with the article that it was probably several perpetrators and more people out there probably know something. This is such a troubling case.

Yes, I believe it looks like Irvin was probably killed in the vehicle.

"Today, authorities maintain Rangel was a victim, citing a significant amount of blood evidence linked to both Rangel and DeCoteau found in the black 2001 Lincoln Navigator at the scene." http://www.daily-times.com/story/ar...heriffs-office-detectives-are-still/75984524/

Perhaps the murders occurred at another site, Irvin was dumped somewhere else first and then Michael and the vehicle were left in this remote area... Either way after 5 years out in the desert I suspect that there would be little evidence left on Irvin. He still really needs to be found though! I also agree with the article that it was probably several perpetrators and more people out there probably know something. This is such a troubling case.

Agreed that it is troubling. I hope one of those perps talks.

If you know what happened to Irvin and are reading this, please anonymously at least let police know where Irvin's remains are. You can anonymously also let police know who is involved in Irvin and Michael's murders.

Agreed that it is troubling. I hope one of those perps talks.

If you know what happened to Irvin and are reading this, please anonymously at least let police know where Irvin's remains are. You can anonymously also let police know who is involved in Irvin and Michael's murders.

:goodpost:

just reading this case.

I agree that Irvin is deceased. I think maybe they met up w someone, and it could be that Irvin was dumped elsewhere and then they continued on and dumped Michael and abandoned the car last. if the car was in a remotre area, someone must have been following so there was more than one suspect. or, Irvin could be close by. I wish ppl had paid close attn. at the time for vultures or buzzards :(

im going to look for UID in the area. Irvin is pretty tall.

nothing in the surrounding counties on namus. so he hasn't been found.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53
Back