United Airlines Pilot Removed Due To Bizarre Rant Over Intercom

Tricia

Manager Websleuths.com
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If this happened to a flight I was on I would be so freaked out. I'd be running for the emergency exit and slide down that slide thingy. LOL

http://fortune.com/2017/02/12/united-airlines-pilot-rant-donald-trump-hillary-clinton-divorce/

She shows up dressed like a civilian and asks to us to take a vote to see whether she should change into her uniform or fly as is,” Pam O’Neal said, according to Reuters. O'Neal was a passenger on the United Flight 455 that was headed to Austin, TX from San Francisco International Airport.

Picture from Forbes Magazine

Attachments

• pilot-rant-intercom.jpg
    pilot-rant-intercom.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 81
Tricia it looks like there were others that felt the same way.

Passengers say the pilot wasn’t wearing a uniform when she boarded the plane. She got on the intercom system and reportedly talked about politics, the presidential election and her divorce.

Passengers also say she asked for a vote on whether to change her clothes to her uniform or fly as is.

http://fox8.com/2017/02/12/united-a...from-flight-after-bizarre-rant-over-intercom/

At that point, about 20 passengers got off the plane because they felt uncomfortable.

Drugs or alcohol? Or just stress induced incoherent rambling? I'd be off that plane as well.

I would be right behind you Tricia!

Yes, me too.

We were at LAX one evening, waiting for our flight, sitting in the bar. An airline pilot, in uniform, walked up and asked for a double shot of vodka, straight up, and downed it--then quickly walked away. My husband and son actually followed him to see if he was going to get onboard a plane, lol---but he left the airport..... Must have been a rough flight?

Drugs or alcohol? Or just stress induced incoherent rambling? I'd be off that plane as well.

I'd say stress from her divorce (she talks about getting divorced) and/or stress from being a pilot (it's pretty stressful and fatiguing, apparently) and/or mental illness. Probable combination of all three.

Lets hope by doing this on the ground (so nobody else harmed) and in such a public way means she gets the help she clearly needs.

I'd say stress from her divorce (she talks about getting divorced) and/or stress from being a pilot (it's pretty stressful and fatiguing, apparently) and/or mental illness. Probable combination of all three.

Lets hope by doing this on the ground (so nobody else harmed) and in such a public way means she gets the help she clearly needs.
Yes, it sounds like she was having difficulty handling all of the stress in her life and was on the verge of going off the deep end. I'm glad that UA removed her from the flight before take-off. Pilots need to be in good mental health because so many lives (both in the air and on the ground) depend on them. This just brings to mind the tragic Germanwings flight.

I'm pretty certain that it is an airline requirement that all airline staff be dressed in uniform before boarding the plane. Otherwise, how would an authorized pilot/staff member be distinguished from a high-jacker?

Yes, it sounds like she was having difficulty handling all of the stress in her life and was on the verge of going off the deep end. I'm glad that UA removed her from the flight before take-off. Pilots need to be in good mental health because so many lives (both in the air and on the ground) depend on them. This just brings to mind the tragic Germanwings flight.

I'm pretty certain that it is an airline requirement that all airline staff be dressed in uniform before boarding the plane. Otherwise, how would an authorized pilot/staff member be distinguished from a high-jacker?

On another forum I read whenever airline stuff happens [it's a pilot forum], many people said that it's so common for crew to fly between locations in the jumpseat in civvies, that nobody would really have thought twice about letting her through so long as she had her ID.

If this is true it should be titled....."How to lose your job in under one minute"

If this is true it should be titled....."How to lose your job in under one minute"

Absolutely, if I had a private airline company she would be fired, unacceptable behavior. jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back