RU486 & Toxic Shock

Linda7NJ

Reaction score
Review
2240.jpg

</B>ATLANTA, Nov. 30 - A type of bacteria that causes fatal toxic shock syndrome rarely in women who have just given birth has been identified as the cause of death in four women within a week of a medical abortions, researchers reported.

The four previously healthy women, ages 18 to 34, died from toxic shock syndrome caused by infection with Clostridium sordellii, following abortions induced with oral Mifeprex (mifepristone, RU-486) and vaginal misoprostol.

The women all died within a day of presenting to the hospital, investigators at the CDC here and health departments in California reported in the Dec. 1 issue of The New England Journal of Medicine.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/OBGYN/Pregnancy/tb/2240

Wow, this is just frightening.
Someone on this board has a scary TSS story. Maybe that person will find this thread and post.

Two deaths were reported in 2003, one in 2004 and one in 2005. A person may get this infection due to prior medical conditions. There is an unknown medical condition of these women that made them more prone to this infection.

Apparently this is more prone to women giving live birth, then any other medical procedure.

This infection is present in non-pregnant women at a rate of 5 to 10%

This infection is not present in RU486, but may be passed on from person to person, or may be on medical equipment or surfaces.

So it has nothing to do with the RU 486, but has to do with the womens medical condition and enviroment in which the procedure is performed.

Live births are the most common reference for this infections.

So infection control, proper disinfection of medical equipment and sterile conditions are more the reason for these deaths, along with pre-exisating medical condition.

More women die from complication in childbirth, then the other medical procedure.

Agreed. I think the purpose was to inform medical personal so that they could perhaps detect it sooner.

That person would be me that Jelly was talking about. LOL Here is the Reader's Digest condensed version.

When my oldest son was around 12 or 13 he had sinus surgery. They packed his nose. We NEVER go to the public pool but it was spring break and the kids wanted to go to the pool. Jon was healing so nicely I said sure. Well the next day he got what seemed like a normal virus or cold. I called the doctor and his pediatrician said bring him in. Normally I wouldn't call for a cold or virus but I just didn't feel right, mother's instincts told me something was very wrong. He started fading almost like a wilted flower. While at the doctors office he got so bad he just laid on the chairs and wouldn't move. They did a check up and told me it was a virus and to go home. I wouldn't go... something was very wrong. So to appease me they took a blood test and said to wait in the office to get the results. His white blood count was off the charts. They said he had a bad infection and to go to the doctor's office who did the surgery. By this time it took a wheel chair to get him around. He was limp. The pedatrician's office said they would call over to the ENT's office and let them know we were coming. Well they didn't and the ENT did not realize how sick he was. Finally he passed completely out. I freaked and called the doctor myself. They took his blood pressure and it was like 50/40 or some crazy number like that. They immediately rushed us to the hospital and did not even make us go through admissions but straight to a room and started IV's of antibiotic. Well to make this long story shorter it turned out he got Toxic Shock Syndrom. He almost died from it. His body was full of both strep and staff infection. Come to find out because he still had a small sponge in his nose from the surgery when he went swimming he collected everyone's germs and it grew overnight. The IV antibiotic made him come back very slowly just like when you water that wilted plant. He was doing super by the next day and was released.

By the way, I switched pediatricians. My son could have died in that office and they would hardly cared. I was ticked they tried sending me home without doing anything more than looking in his ears and throat and taking a temp. The ENT said the blood pressure was a red flag to TSS. (Yes this is the same thing many women die from because of tampon use). My son loves to tell everyone he had TSS once. LOL

Thanks for posting Anngelique. I think your story makes the point of the article and the other posters. Medical professionals and consumers need to think of this as a possibility in order to detect it sooner.

5 years ago my grandaughter was born and 5/6 days later my daughter became very ill we went to her doctor and they said go home and rest that it might be mastitis .by the time I got her home she was a lot worse so I raced her to the hospital and she had this toxic shock and nearly died. I was so scared.she had terrible scarring internally and they told her she wouldnt be able to have any more kids .she had a couple of operations since to try a repair the damage.the doctors still said she wouldnt fall pregnant because of the damage.
SHE TOLD ME LAST NIGHT SHES PREGNANT :woohoo: :woohoo:
I am still worried for her and hope she carries it to term .please say a prayer for her.

aussiegran said:
5 years ago my grandaughter was born and 5/6 days later my daughter became very ill we went to her doctor and they said go home and rest that it might be mastitis .by the time I got her home she was a lot worse so I raced her to the hospital and she had this toxic shock and nearly died. I was so scared.she had terrible scarring internally and they told her she wouldnt be able to have any more kids .she had a couple of operations since to try a repair the damage.the doctors still said she wouldnt fall pregnant because of the damage.
I am still worried for her and hope she carries it to term .please say a prayer for her.

Wow!!!! Congratulations. I hope all goes well. Please keep us posted.

So glad to hear that you are going to be a Gran again Aussie, so good to hear. I am sure your family is very happy.........

This is what makes this so scary, that the infection hits and takes over even when identified as TSS. It overwhelms the body.

A friend of mine - his girlfriend was feeling ill, thought it was the flu, mostly healthy women, full figured. Went to ER, gave her the lecture, sent her home with med. By the time she went to ER, it was already too late, her internal organs were shutting down, there was little that could be done if she was even given IMMEDIATE supportive care. Within days, she died in my friends arms.

Spetic shock from a scrape on the leg......fell on some ice.........lead to her death........

But the reason that I feel so scared about this: How does one tell a simple infection that can be treated with meds then from a serious infection that requires immeidate hospitalization and care.

People that are not doctors may be wondering this...........I for one don't go to the Doctor unless I am really sick. With my kids, the Ped's number is on speed dial.

But I am very glad that everyone who posted here is healthy and great and their families are doing well..........

aussiegran said:
Awwww, i will pray for her, i had A lot of problems after my son with infections because of the suture material in my uterus after c section, i have had 3 dnc's to remove scar tissue/ sutures, so my fear is that if i got pregnant i couldnt carry to term either, so hubby and i thank God for the one healthy child we have but i would love to have another one day i am just scared...It is scary with that scarring....

Thanks Jeana
I will keep you all posted she is only 4 weeks so we still have a while before we can stop worrying.I am so excited for her and her husband they are great people and wanted another child so badly.I hope anyone else who has been through this can read this story and feel some hope for themselves too.
:) :) :) I cant stop smiling.

michelle said:
Awwww, i will pray for her, i had A lot of problems after my son with infections because of the suture material in my uterus after c section, i have had 3 dnc's to remove scar tissue/ sutures, so my fear is that if i got pregnant i couldnt carry to term either, so hubby and i thank God for the one healthy child we have but i would love to have another one day i am just scared...It is scary with that scarring....
michelle -hers was a c-section too and we are worried .lets pray its a good fighter.I will never forget how scared we were and I am still angry with that doctor that sent us home .I will keep you posted.

CyberLaw said:
But the reason that I feel so scared about this: How does one tell a simple infection that can be treated with meds then from a serious infection that requires immeidate hospitalization and care.

People that are not doctors may be wondering this...........I for one don't go to the Doctor unless I am really sick. With my kids, the Ped's number is on speed dial.

But I am very glad that everyone who posted here is healthy and great and their families are doing well..........

What is toxic shock syndrome?

Toxic shock syndrome (TSS) is a rare, often life-threatening illness that develops suddenly after an infection and can rapidly affect several different organ systems, including the lungs, kidneys, and liver. Since toxic shock syndrome progresses quickly, immediate medical treatment is needed.

What are the symptoms?

TSS symptoms develop quickly and can become life-threatening within 2 days. First signs of TSS usually include:

Severe flulike symptoms, such as muscle aches and pain, stomach cramps, headache, or a sore throat.
Sudden fever over 102° (38.89°).
Vomiting and diarrhea.
Signs of shock, including low blood pressure and rapid heartbeat, often with lightheadedness, fainting, nausea, vomiting, or restlessness and confusion.
Sunburnlike rash.
Pain at the site of an infection (if a wound or injury to the skin is involved).
Redness in the nasal passages and inside the mouth.
Other TSS symptoms that may follow include:

Conjunctivitis (pinkeye).
Involvement of more than one organ system, most commonly the lungs and kidneys.
Blood infection (sepsis) that affects the entire body.
Skin tissue death (necrosis), which occurs early in the syndrome.
Skin tissue shedding (desquamation), which occurs during recovery.
Toxic shock symptoms vary slightly depending on the strep or staph bacteria involved.
http://health.yahoo.com/ency/healthwise/hw140188

They say it is rare, but look how many people just from this board have had some contact with it, through family or friends.
It is really rare?

aussiegran said:

That is FANTASTIC news! :woohoo:

Grats on the upcoming bundle of joy. Let's pray for a safe pregnancy and delivery! :blowkiss:

"More women die from complication in childbirth, then the other medical procedure."

Here in America? I am a woman ,I know tons of women and I have never known anyone who has died from childbirth. When I put your statement into a google search, I got pro-abortion websites. The kind of sites that pull numbers out of the air without any fact to back them up. Not only have I never known a woman who died during childbirth I have never even heard or read about anyone dying from childbirth. I am not saying that it doesn't happen. I would just like to see some facts to back up that statement.
I have six children, four were born at home. I have known many midwifes and yet no stories of mothers dying.

Ella said:
"More women die from complication in childbirth, then the other medical procedure."

Here in America? I am a woman ,I know tons of women and I have never known anyone who has died from childbirth. When I put your statement into a google search, I got pro-abortion websites. The kind of sites that pull numbers out of the air without any fact to back them up. Not only have I never known a woman who died during childbirth I have never even heard or read about anyone dying from childbirth. I am not saying that it doesn't happen. I would just like to see some facts to back up that statement.
I have six children, four were born at home. I have known many midwifes and yet no stories of mothers dying.
Perhaps you are not looking in the right places... and I believe the issue is from complications of childbirth, not the actual childbirth.

Here is a website from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.)
http://www.qualitytools.ahrq.gov/qualityreport/browse/browse.aspx

Ella said:

Well, I know of a few. One was my great aunt, who developed toxicema while in labor and died shortly there after. This was during the late 30s. A school mate of mine died during labor in the 1970s--she had undiagnosed sickle cell and basically bled to death. A friend of my mother's didn't die in the early 1980s, but she did have a stroke while in labor. She was in her late 30s, and it was 3 years before she could actually pick up her little boy and play with him. My own sister came very close to dying iving birth to her little girl in 2001, due to the same toxicema that claimed out great aunt. So, yes, i can believe that childbirth can be hazardous.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back