1118 users online (234 members and 884 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Bible Back In Schools

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Since the U.S. Supreme Court banned the promotion of religion in public schools in 1963, the Bible has virtually disappeared from most American classrooms.

But in recent years, as evangelical Christians have grown in numbers and gained political clout in the United States, Bible studies have been creeping back into schools.

Now, a new textbook for high school students aims to fill a gap by teaching the Bible, both the Old and New Testaments, in a non-sectarian, nonreligious way as a central document of Western civilization with a vast influence on its literature, art, culture and politics.

"It's not about belief. It's about crucial knowledge and knowledge belongs in our schools," said Chuck Stetson, a New York investment banker who is the driving force behind and co-author of "The Bible and Its Influence" -- a glossy, 387-page book recently released and now being tested in a small number of schools mainly on the West Coast.

Stetson knows he was stepping into a potential minefield. But he said polls have shown that over two-thirds of Americans want to see the Bible taught in public schools while only around 8 percent of schools were offering it.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/EDUCATION/12...eut/index.html

It's about time...

Happiness...consists in giving, and in serving others.
    - Henry Drummond

Quote Originally Posted by Paradise

It's about time...
    that's what I say. People may not agree with religion but you can't deny it's part of history and kids should still learn about it.
    I learned about all worldly religions and am glad I did or would not have known about many of them or what they were about.

Absolutely. There's no denying the Bible's value as literature and as an historical document. It should be taught on those bases.

It's only a matter of time before the ACLU files a lawsuit.

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

It is against the constitution and there are plenty of churchs out there that welcome kids to go.

It is not like Christianity is deprived from children. It is everywhere. The one place is it is not supposed to be is in school.

In regards to history of western civilization - maybe. I would need to read the text book.

Quote Originally Posted by Becba
    It is against the constitution and there are plenty of churchs out there that welcome kids to go.

It is not like Christianity is deprived from children. It is everywhere. The one place is it is not supposed to be is in school.
    Kids can't necessaril;y drive to churches at young ages.
    I don't see anything wrong with it being taught in history class with other religions. Religion IS part of history. It's part of wars.

Quote Originally Posted by PrayersForMaura
    I don't see anything wrong with it being taught in history class with other religions. Religion IS part of history. It's part of wars.

I agree with you.

I have no problem with schools teaching the role religion has played in world history, but to teach the bible itself....nope. That's what home and churches are for.

The crusades are taught and my son did learn about different religions in school as did I.
    We were both taught to identify the beliefs of different religions which I think everyone should learn. Yes religion and war go hand in hand.
    But I was actually reffering to the original posts article saying:

"But in recent years, as evangelical Christians have grown in numbers and gained political clout in the United States, Bible studies have been creeping back into schools."

That kind of stuff has no place in schools. It is personal and I and my 2 sons both were occassionallly set out from others in school due to our beliefs. Teachers condescendingly saying "I'll pray for you" because you are not Christian is a form of predejuice. (sp)
    And for the one who said not all kids can get a ride to church. Specific Bible studies can be taught at home and churchs are always giving bus rides to pick up kids for church.
    Aside from history which should focus equally and without judgement on all religions, church and school are seperate and 2 very different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova
    Absolutely. There's no denying the Bible's value as literature and as an historical document. It should be taught on those bases.
    And who will ensure that this is the basis on which it is taught? President Bush?

Just exactly what does the constitution say about studying books? Or the Bible and Christianity?
    Christianity is not welcome in schools?
    Maybe you should study the history of public education in American. Schools were founded so people could study the Bible. I do suppose schools could make better use of their time by teaching homosexuality as a healthy lifestyle choice and driving girls to and from their abortions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ella
    Just exactly what does the constitution say about studying books? Or the Bible and Christianity?
    Christianity is not welcome in schools?
    Maybe you should study the history of public education in American. Schools were founded so people could study the Bible. I do suppose schools could make better use of their time by teaching homosexuality as a healthy lifestyle choice and driving girls to and from their abortions.
    Hi Ella-

Not sure I understand your post.

Is your point is that the Bible has a historical place in the public schools and that Christianity and the Bible should be taught in the public schools because the Constitution permits it?

Do I understand you that you feel that tolerance of differences, (such as there are gay and lesbian people who are responsible citizens of the United States and that we are a religiously diverse population that includes atheists) should not be taught in the public schools but the Bible and Christianity should?

Who is it you are addressing in your post or what argument or position is it that you have a hard time with? I am sure it is not me lol. We do not know each other.

Who is it you think is driving girls to and from the public schools for their abortions?

IrishMist is offline You can't control the wind - but you can adjust your sails
    I think if their parents wanted them to go to church, their parents would probably drive them...

I personally wouldn't mind seeing this at the college level. Don't think it's needed in K-12. I believe that the Bible's place is in a person's home and/or their church. Not in the public schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Ella
    I do suppose schools could make better use of their time by teaching homosexuality as a healthy lifestyle choice and driving girls to and from their abortions.
    I'm not sure where YOU live, but I don't know of a public school district that drives girls to and from their abortions???

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast