Bible Back In Schools

Linda7NJ

Reaction score
WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Since the U.S. Supreme Court banned the promotion of religion in public schools in 1963, the Bible has virtually disappeared from most American classrooms.

But in recent years, as evangelical Christians have grown in numbers and gained political clout in the United States, Bible studies have been creeping back into schools.

Now, a new textbook for high school students aims to fill a gap by teaching the Bible, both the Old and New Testaments, in a non-sectarian, nonreligious way as a central document of Western civilization with a vast influence on its literature, art, culture and politics.

"It's not about belief. It's about crucial knowledge and knowledge belongs in our schools," said Chuck Stetson, a New York investment banker who is the driving force behind and co-author of "The Bible and Its Influence" -- a glossy, 387-page book recently released and now being tested in a small number of schools mainly on the West Coast.

Stetson knows he was stepping into a potential minefield. But he said polls have shown that over two-thirds of Americans want to see the Bible taught in public schools while only around 8 percent of schools were offering it.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/EDUCATION/12/01/life.bible.general.reut/index.html

Paradise said:
:clap:

It's about time...
that's what I say. People may not agree with religion but you can't deny it's part of history and kids should still learn about it.
I learned about all worldly religions and am glad I did or would not have known about many of them or what they were about.

Absolutely. There's no denying the Bible's value as literature and as an historical document. It should be taught on those bases.

It's only a matter of time before the ACLU files a lawsuit. :doh:

It is against the constitution and there are plenty of churchs out there that welcome kids to go.

It is not like Christianity is deprived from children. It is everywhere. The one place is it is not supposed to be is in school.

In regards to history of western civilization - maybe. I would need to read the text book.

Becba said:
It is against the constitution and there are plenty of churchs out there that welcome kids to go.

It is not like Christianity is deprived from children. It is everywhere. The one place is it is not supposed to be is in school.
Kids can't necessaril;y drive to churches at young ages.
I don't see anything wrong with it being taught in history class with other religions. Religion IS part of history. It's part of wars.

PrayersForMaura said:
I don't see anything wrong with it being taught in history class with other religions. Religion IS part of history. It's part of wars.

I agree with you. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I have no problem with schools teaching the role religion has played in world history, but to teach the bible itself....nope. That's what home and churches are for.

PrayersForMaura said:
The crusades are taught and my son did learn about different religions in school as did I.
We were both taught to identify the beliefs of different religions which I think everyone should learn. Yes religion and war go hand in hand.
But I was actually reffering to the original posts article saying:

"But in recent years, as evangelical Christians have grown in numbers and gained political clout in the United States, Bible studies have been creeping back into schools."

That kind of stuff has no place in schools. It is personal and I and my 2 sons both were occassionallly set out from others in school due to our beliefs. Teachers condescendingly saying "I'll pray for you" because you are not Christian is a form of predejuice. (sp)
And for the one who said not all kids can get a ride to church. Specific Bible studies can be taught at home and churchs are always giving bus rides to pick up kids for church.
Aside from history which should focus equally and without judgement on all religions, church and school are seperate and 2 very different things.

Nova said:
Absolutely. There's no denying the Bible's value as literature and as an historical document. It should be taught on those bases.
And who will ensure that this is the basis on which it is taught? President Bush?

Just exactly what does the constitution say about studying books? Or the Bible and Christianity?
Christianity is not welcome in schools?
Maybe you should study the history of public education in American. Schools were founded so people could study the Bible. I do suppose schools could make better use of their time by teaching homosexuality as a healthy lifestyle choice and driving girls to and from their abortions.

Ella said:
Just exactly what does the constitution say about studying books? Or the Bible and Christianity?
Christianity is not welcome in schools?
Maybe you should study the history of public education in American. Schools were founded so people could study the Bible. I do suppose schools could make better use of their time by teaching homosexuality as a healthy lifestyle choice and driving girls to and from their abortions.
Hi Ella-

Not sure I understand your post.

Is your point is that the Bible has a historical place in the public schools and that Christianity and the Bible should be taught in the public schools because the Constitution permits it?

Do I understand you that you feel that tolerance of differences, (such as there are gay and lesbian people who are responsible citizens of the United States and that we are a religiously diverse population that includes atheists) should not be taught in the public schools but the Bible and Christianity should?

Who is it you are addressing in your post or what argument or position is it that you have a hard time with? I am sure it is not me lol. We do not know each other.

Who is it you think is driving girls to and from the public schools for their abortions?

PrayersForMaura said:
I think if their parents wanted them to go to church, their parents would probably drive them...

I personally wouldn't mind seeing this at the college level. Don't think it's needed in K-12. I believe that the Bible's place is in a person's home and/or their church. Not in the public schools.

Ella said:
I do suppose schools could make better use of their time by teaching homosexuality as a healthy lifestyle choice and driving girls to and from their abortions.
I'm not sure where YOU live, but I don't know of a public school district that drives girls to and from their abortions???

My reply was to Becpa. Did I post incorrectly? I think that the Bible has historical value and is worthy to be studied. My joke was that the schools have time for all kinds of other social engineering...
I have no problem with homosexuals recieving an education. I do not wish for my tax money to teach children that this is a "healthy lifestyle choice". I used to work in a high school. The administration had a policy of allowing students to leave to go to planned parenthood and rides were provide if needed. This was all done without parental consent. Public schools are anti-God. That is why they are turning into such hell holes.

IrishMist said:
I think if their parents wanted them to go to church, their parents would probably drive them...

I personally wouldn't mind seeing this at the college level. Don't think it's needed in K-12. I believe that the Bible's place is in a person's home and/or their church. Not in the public schools.

I'm not sure where YOU live, but I don't know of a public school district that drives girls to and from their abortions???
I have seen this go on in many schools in Oregon and Washington state. I would be glad to hear it doesn't happen everywhere.

Wow, Ella. It sounds like you've had some trouble with the public school system!

Do you think you could give me a school district name or two so that I could look into this further?? I'm amazed that this goes on, especially without parental approval, and I'd like to learn more about it.

In our school district, a kid can't even go on a field trip without signed permission slips and waivers!!

It might be that I have lived in states that do not require parental consent for abortions. I would rather not give the name of the districts. These are small towns, with open secrets they like to keep. I know that teens could bring in a note that they had signed, saying they had been to planned parenthood. I know many students used this excuse for excused absences. I remember planned parenthood coming into my high school and teaching us how to put a condom on a cucumber. I was underage and I can guarantee you my parents would have hit the roof had they known.

Ella said:
My reply was to Becpa. Did I post incorrectly?
I see that you are new here, I'll give you some tips.
When you are replying to a specific post, quote that post.
Whatever you put on the public board is open to public discussion. Anyone is free to comment.

Ella said:
My joke was that the schools have time for all kinds of other social engineering
What do you mean, social engineering?

Ella said:
I have no problem with homosexuals recieving an education. I do not wish for my tax money to teach children that this is a "healthy lifestyle choice"
And I do not wish for my tax money to fund this current war. But that's not the way it works, is it? I wonder what you think we should teach homosexuals? That they are abnormal? Bad? What should they do with their future? Suicide?

Ella said:
Public schools are anti-God. That is why they are turning into such hell holes
Again, I don't know where you live, but we have quite a few really great school districts in my area. Not all are "hell holes."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back